Another Alaska DIY thread

I'm in the early stages of planning a 2024 or 2025 trip to Alaska. We are looking at going to the southern Brooks range primarily. This will be a caribou hunt, but my hunting partner wants the possiblity to harvest a moose also. Is this a realistic expectation, or should we focus on one species, or find a different area, or just scrap the idea of getting a possible moose on the trip? Alaska is huge, and like I said, we're in the early stages of planning. Finding a general area or unit and finding transportation is number one and two on the list of things to do.

I'm also wondering about what questions that we should be asking air transporters/taxis? I've gathered a few good ones just from reading past DIY Alaska threads. I would love to hear from you guys that have done it a time or two, and know what to look for when deciding on such a major factor of what a lot of people (including myself) would consider a once in a lifetime hunt. Safety being #1 of course.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Caribou hunts with a moose included can be done but the logistics usually differ dramatically. OTOH if you were set up in a good moose camp and a caribou wandered in........

Keep reading Rokslide, develop a good attitude and keep plans and gear very flexible and you'll be ready for your first Alaska hunt. After that you can start planning your second Alaska hunt.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Caribou hunts with a moose included can be done but the logistics usually differ dramatically. OTOH if you were set up in a good moose camp and a caribou wandered in........

Keep reading Rokslide, develop a good attitude and keep plans and gear very flexible and you'll be ready for your first Alaska hunt. After that you can start planning your second Alaska hunt.
The more I read, the more it sounds like this is what we will probably do. Target moose with bou tags in our pockets. I just got off the phone with a transportation company and they said if you purchase a moose hunt, you can opt to shoot a caribou for no extra cost. Is it common for outfits to let guys do that?

Caribou can show up anywhere but you’re not going to find a quality bull down where you see bull moose, it’s going to be cows and young bulls. Big bull caribou are a whole different breed, probably why they got so big instead of doing dumb things like getting eaten in the alders where moose live.

bmrfish

WKR
We went on our caribou hunt first then shifted over to moose. Caribou are democratic - everyone in the party can have a good chance at getting one. Moose are work - one per party is a success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Common to "trade down-tag" caribou with a moose tag ONLY in general harvest areas without registration requirements. But with registration hunts like parts of 20E for example you cannot shoot a 'bou with a moose tag and some of these spots you cannot possess both harvest tags simultaneously. Read and reread the hunting regulations for clarity in the area you decide to hunt.

The more I read, the more it sounds like this is what we will probably do. Target moose with bou tags in our pockets. I just got off the phone with a transportation company and they said if you purchase a moose hunt, you can opt to shoot a caribou for no extra cost. Is it common for outfits to let guys do that?

You have to remember the difference between a Hunt Transporter and a Registered Guide (often referred to as an outfitter, master guide, etc)

Transporters are supposed to have NO say in your hunt, or assist you in hunting. They are to only charge you to provide transportation to and from the “field” where you hunt. They may charge you extra for more animals if it takes more effort, trips on their part to transport everything out of the field.

Registered guides are allowed to take you hunting (that’s the whole point) and often will charge for extra animals on a trophy fee basis, unless it’s already part of a combo hunt you have already paid for

OP
SneakyThunderCat
You have to remember the difference between a Hunt Transporter and a Registered Guide (often referred to as an outfitter, master guide, etc)

Transporters are supposed to have NO say in your hunt, or assist you in hunting. They are to only charge you to provide transportation to and from the “field” where you hunt. They may charge you extra for more animals if it takes more effort, trips on their part to transport everything out of the field.

Registered guides are allowed to take you hunting (that’s the whole point) and often will charge for extra animals on a trophy fee basis, unless it’s already part of a combo hunt you have already paid for
Yes, I will be looking for an air taxi service, not a guide. They explained that I would decide on where I wanted to hunt. I guess I shouldn't have called it a "hunt" since it's an air taxi service. I didn't know the trade down tag thing was common. It's good to learn that is an option!

Yes, I will be looking for an air taxi service, not a guide. They explained that I would decide on where I wanted to hunt. I guess I shouldn't have called it a "hunt" since it's an air taxi service. I didn't know the trade down tag thing was common. It's good to learn that is an option!

The Metal Locking tags for Non-Residents can be used on a different species if the value is equal to or less than the cost of the metal locking tag.

Remember you technically still need to have the permit for the other species - usually a Harvest ticket or in some areas a registration permit. Those are free but you still have to get them and fill out your hunt report

S-3 ranch

WKR
We went on our caribou hunt first then shifted over to moose. Caribou are democratic - everyone in the party can have a good chance at getting one. Moose are work - one per party is a success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, in my diy hunts two guys can easily do a caribou hunt on logistics
with 100lbs in a pack , moose well one per group is a big hauling process and air charter bill
uncle and I had 10days of hunting and packing out 1 moose and 3 caribou, then a huge charter bill , plus we needed a otter or beaver to haul weight and pilot showed up in a 206 , last trip out we nearly died
when airplane stalled being overloaded! equaling a separate long wait
with only emergency equipment & rifle on a lake shore
so make dang sure the air support is capable of serving your needs

Voyageur

WKR
Yes, in my diy hunts two guys can easily do a caribou hunt on logistics
with 100lbs in a pack , moose well one per group is a big hauling process and air charter bill
uncle and I had 10days of hunting and packing out 1 moose and 3 caribou, then a huge charter bill , plus we needed a otter or beaver to haul weight and pilot showed up in a 206 , last trip out we nearly died
when airplane stalled being overloaded! equaling a separate long wait
with only emergency equipment & rifle on a lake shore
so make dang sure the air support is capable of serving your needs
Your mention of a plane stalling and a long wait on the lake shore leaves me wanting more details. Care to share?