Another Barbary Sheep Thread

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I returned from a hunt on private land in eastern New Mexico last month, it was a DIY hunt, and the one thing I kept rearing was how hard these things are to spot, that is an understatement. The weather was cold and windy, I had a hard time staying behind my binoculars, and never saw a sheep.

The areas that have been talked about are good, but you don't need the big canyons to have sheep, they are also in the rolling hills, so don't overlook those.

I know this is an old thread but I was looking at doing this next year in the last week of March (that’s the only time I’ll have as it’s my spring break since I’ll be a senior in college). I’ve never done a western hunt yet as I hunt whitetails in Missouri. How doable would this be as a first hunt? I don’t care if I don’t end up getting anything as I’m just looking for experience and time in some new country but a sheep would be a nice bonus. If anyone has any advice or tips that would be extremely helpful. Happy hunting!

I know this is an old thread but I was looking at doing this next year in the last week of March (that’s the only time I’ll have as it’s my spring break since I’ll be a senior in college). I’ve never done a western hunt yet as I hunt whitetails in Missouri. How doable would this be as a first hunt? I don’t care if I don’t end up getting anything as I’m just looking for experience and time in some new country but a sheep would be a nice bonus. If anyone has any advice or tips that would be extremely helpful. Happy hunting!
I live here in Unit 34. I would go other routes for a first western hunt. I've never looked for barbary and I know they're around, but I've never seen one in 34. I did kill a nice one on range this past winter.

I've seen far more desert bighorn here.

Deer tags in NM generally aren't too hard to draw. I wouldn't recommend someone's first western hunt be for OTC Barbary (at least in NM). Way too many easy to get tags across the west that can give you plenty of adventure and better odds of success. If you're really looking to come to NM and want to go the OTC route, I'd recommend a bear hunt or turkey hunt. We have both spring and fall turkey. And if you were to draw a September tag for something else, in most units you can pick up an OTC turkey tag and take one with a bow in September.

I live here in Unit 34. I would go other routes for a first western hunt. I've never looked for barbary and I know they're around, but I've never seen one in 34. I did kill a nice one on range this past winter.

I've seen far more desert bighorn here.

Deer tags in NM generally aren't too hard to draw. I wouldn't recommend someone's first western hunt be for OTC Barbary (at least in NM). Way too many easy to get tags across the west that can give you plenty of adventure and better odds of success. If you're really looking to come to NM and want to go the OTC route, I'd recommend a bear hunt or turkey hunt. We have both spring and fall turkey. And if you were to draw a September tag for something else, in most units you can pick up an OTC turkey tag and take one with a bow in September.
I have done a lot of public land deer hunts in my home state as well as turkey in several others so I have had some experience with public land. I am planning on going to Arizona in January for the OTC deer hunt if I can get a tag in December so that would be my first if I am able to get a tag. This is the only hunt that I can find that I can do in the last two weeks of March other than 6 states that have an early turkey season.

From what I understand, that’s a really tough hunt for your first western hunt. NM is fairly friendly to out of state hunters, you might do better to go non-otc and draw a different hunt.

From what I understand, that’s a really tough hunt for your first western hunt. NM is fairly friendly to out of state hunters, you might do better to go non-otc and draw a different hunt.
Relative to what (other states?) is NM non-resident friendly? Having been a resident hunter here for the past handful of years IMO there are several other states where tags are both easier to acquire and successfully punching your tag seems to be more common (although I do not have any first hand experience with other states).

Relative to what (other states?) is NM non-resident friendly? Having been a resident hunter here for the past handful of years IMO there are several other states where tags are both easier to acquire and successfully punching your tag seems to be more common (although I do not have any first hand experience with other states).

I stand totally corrected. It seems like I’ve been hearing some misinformation from some disgruntled NM Hunting social media groups, it seems like Colorado is easier to pull a non resident tag (in comparison to resident tags) by a LOT.

I stand totally corrected. It seems like I’ve been hearing some misinformation from some disgruntled NM Hunting social media groups, it seems like Colorado is easier to pull a non resident tag (in comparison to resident tags) by a LOT.
I would believe that. At least for now. Everywhere is starting to become less “friendly” to non-residents. I will say though, I truly do love that NM has no point system and hope it stays that way.

I would believe that. At least for now. Everywhere is starting to become less “friendly” to non-residents. I will say though, I truly do love that NM has no point system and hope it stays that way.

I like it because I drew an Oryx tag on my first try. I’ll probably learn to dislike it after a go through a dry spell with tags.

Then I’ll be schlepping it down to unit 34 hoping to spot a Barbary.

I like it because I drew an Oryx tag on my first try. I’ll probably learn to dislike it after a go through a dry spell with tags.

Then I’ll be schlepping it down to unit 34 hoping to spot a Barbary.
Just know that the vitals for both sit a little more forward and down than North American game. For oryx, aim for the “racing stripe”.

Just know that the vitals for both sit a little more forward and down than North American game. For oryx, aim for the “racing stripe”.
Thanks for the tip! That’s one I’ve heard about so I’ve chosen a bullet that’ll punch through the shoulder. Strange animals, but it’s one I’m really grateful for the opportunity to hunt, and I hear the meat is fantastic.

So I will basically be useless to this thread as I haven't gotten the chance to hunt any sheep/goats at the ripe age of 25 haha. However, stumbling on this thread just opened up a chance for me, I had 0 idea there were OTC tags in NM for Aoudad. I have a place to stay in AZ, so now knowing this I may actually be able to chase sheep while being poor haha. Saving this thread to read tomorrow, so much good info here

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Got my mounts back and put up at the office! Really wish I had a better lighting situation.

03850a0c7aa40d50f801baf425ea80c8.jpg

1f5067f81312eb0dda79f1e7dafe20fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got my mounts back and put up at the office! Really wish I had a better lighting situation.

03850a0c7aa40d50f801baf425ea80c8.jpg

1f5067f81312eb0dda79f1e7dafe20fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Those are some very nice rams. I love the scarring on the one to the left. Here’s mine from a NYE hunt.

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 70940055566__B9CDB9AF-0469-4744-8BE8-121082E11627.jpeg
    70940055566__B9CDB9AF-0469-4744-8BE8-121082E11627.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 16