Another Bino Harness Comparison Question

I’m in the market for a my first enclosed Bino harness. I currently have the Rick Young Bino harness and an old Gen FHF chest rig. I love using the chest rig as a Bino harness, but I hate that it means disassembling my fishing kit when hunting season comes around and the zipper is damn noisy on a quiet morning in the woods. I also dislike the floppy rangefinder pouch attachment. Wings are going to be a must for me. I don’t like the RYO harness because I like carrying some other stuff in the harness and it makes handing the binocs off to my wife a pain when we’re hiking.

I’ve narrowed it down to 3 i think I’d be happy with in vague order of preference:
-FHF FOB
-The soon to be released SG Sentinel
-FHF Pro M

The FOB is more than I’d like to spend, especially because I’m a nerd and would need to get the matching rangefinder pouch. It also seems like the most comprehensive feature set and the most modular. I also have a bunch of FHF/molle pouches I can use with it already. I really like the ability to add/remove the wings to scale up/scale down the system based on the season and activity.

The Sentinel seems like a great deal for what you get. Most of the features and form factor of the FOB in a simpler, lighter package. Cons would be that I’d need to buy into the proprietary Velcro pouch mounting system, and if I wanted to run just the Bino harness for summer scouting/hiking, there would be a bunch of exposed Velcro/additional fabric on my chest to make me even sweatier.

The Pro M is what I was gonna get before the FOB or sentinel came out. Especially since you can use the wings on it, I’d just need to buy the harness and the wings. I’ve already got all the pouches I’d want. this would be the cheapest option by a little bit. I don’t think I’d mind the flap, but I know I’d appreciate the reduced movement etc for the forward opening options.

Has anyone used the FOB and the current SG Skyline harness? Can you comment on which one you prefer and why? Same for the FOB and the Pro M - has anyone upgraded and looked back, or is the FOB worth the price premium?

Last edited:

Wapiti151

WKR
First I've heard of this sentinel...has SG released any promos or teasers for it? Looks interesting, certainly an upgrade over the skyline.

OP
H
First I've heard of this sentinel...has SG released any promos or teasers for it? Looks interesting, certainly an upgrade over the skyline.
It was in their catalogue this spring. I can send you some pics of the page in the catalogue if you want!

Wapiti151

WKR
No worries, I appreciate it! Actually looks like Black Ovis has them listed with details, but not in stock yet. Curious to see more on this. I love my marsupial no mag, but the lack of wings on my rf pouch can be annoying.
The one thing that's always kept me away from the SG harness is the big ass piece of unused velcro right on the front of the harness after adjustment. If prone, I could see that thing getting filled with grass/dirt/mud.

Don't see if it's magnetic or non magnetic closure on Black Ovis though.

OP
H
No worries, I appreciate it! Actually looks like Black Ovis has them listed with details, but not in stock yet. Curious to see more on this. I love my marsupial no mag, but the lack of wings on my rf pouch can be annoying.
The one thing that's always kept me away from the SG harness is the big ass piece of unused velcro right on the front of the harness after adjustment. If prone, I could see that thing getting filled with grass/dirt/mud.

Don't see if it's magnetic or non magnetic closure on Black Ovis though.
From reading around on here and the advertising material, it seems like it’s the same basic concept with the addition of wings and some more padding in the straps.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
From reading around on here and the advertising material, it seems like it’s the same basic concept with the addition of wings and some more padding in the straps.

The bino pouch itself is the same but it adds the wings. The harness is completely redesigned. It allows the pouch to ride higher on the chest without running into the back of your neck.