Another pack list to review - LighterPack at 46lbs total and ~30lbs "base"

fwafwow

WKR
First, thanks to all who have responded to my (many) posts and PMs. I've learned a great deal but realize I have much more to learn. Therefore, please let me know your thoughts - whether I have more items to dump, I've overlooked something, etc.

This is for a 7-10 early elk archery hunt in CO (unit still TBD). I am going with a buddy, but assume that his list is virtually the same (although with lighter pack, bag and pad). The plan is to camp for 4 days - perhaps moving the camp site daily - the thought being we will kill something by then, or if we haven't, we will head back to the truck and/or town and be able to add food. As indicated on the list, some items have yet to be purchased.

I'm currently considering
  1. taking out some of the kill kit items (plastic sheet, flagging tape and latex gloves at 41, 28 and 6g respectively)
  2. getting rid of the Ovis kill kit bag and use one of the Kifaru pullouts
  3. dropping the watch since I have kept it to date for the altimeter, and I can't seem to get it to maintain the right output just driving around town
  4. fewer wet wipes - especially just for 4 days?
Thanks in advance!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personal choice but I don’t regret going from a bino harness to the ryo bungee thing. Drops about 12oz and not as hot and sweaty under it.

You have a lot of odds and ends but I don’t think they add up to much. It does reduce clutter to get rid of it.

I’d ditch the watch. Like the pack liner vs a cover.

Get a lid for the pot, stove won’t use as much fuel/ heat water faster.

Bag for storing, hanging food?

Obsidians are heavy. Rest of your clothes looks good.

I still carry a trash bag in my kill kit but not a plastic sheet. I ditched the flagging tape but bringing several feet doesn’t weigh anything. I just put my game bags loose in the bottom of my pack, space efficient.

I bring two wet wipes per day plus tp. Tp has more uses so I won’t go without some.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Great feedback. I will research the ryo first thing in the morning. (I've got lots of time on my hands - clearly - which is a long story.) A few other responses:
  1. Agreed on the odds and ends. For me it is helpful to break out some of the items so I can think about some of them going away. Like in the kill kit.
  2. Great points on the watch, lid, trash bag, flagging tape and the kill kit bag.
  3. While I've thought about hanging food, that stuff hasn't made it to my list. We are planning as if we will be carrying everything all day. Can't hurt to have for an item that would be left in the truck if not needed.
  4. The pants. I've never worn them and got them in the hopes they would be as great as merino tops have been for me. I have some Kuiu pants (I think Teton Stretch Woven that they don't make any more) which I will have to weigh. They aren't the most breathable though, so I welcome any suggestions.
Thanks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well keep in mind hanging food at night isn’t just for bears. Trust me after a long hard day I didn’t hang mine and something took it, no bear sign.

CaseyD

FNG
Great list, thanks for sharing. I’m impressed with the weight of the sleeping gear. And I’m a first aid fan, so my kit weighs a bit more but has meds, gels, and more bandaging. I realize that is going the opposite way of what you are asking but again thanks for sharing

I’ll throw my 0.02 cents in:

Ditch the broadhead wrench.
Ditch the piss bag
Ditch the Ovis sack, gloves (first aid kit should have a pair), flagging tape and plastic sheet. Ditch your tyto sheeth only pack the handle and packaged blades. discard blades in old packages. Do a pull out for this kill kit
Get a stove lid you’ll waste less fuel.
Ditch the water tabs, you have a sawyer. Shake it out after use if you are worried about freezing
E-lites are dame well useless in my eyes, check out a Nitecore NU25, you can get an ultralight strap and have it complete at 32g and it’s rechargeable
Ditch the mini pilers what are you actually going to use them for
First aid wise throw some gauze to pack a wound and maybe an israeli bandage/pain meds. I’m revamping my kit this year. Goal is 1lb with the ability to handle a severe bleed and allergic reaction

Sure there’s more but it’s a start

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I’ll throw my 0.02 cents in:

Ditch the broadhead wrench.
Ditch the piss bag
Ditch the Ovis sack, gloves (first aid kit should have a pair), flagging tape and plastic sheet. Ditch your tyto sheeth only pack the handle and packaged blades. discard blades in old packages. Do a pull out for this kill kit
Get a stove lid you’ll waste less fuel.
Ditch the water tabs, you have a sawyer. Shake it out after use if you are worried about freezing
E-lites are dame well useless in my eyes, check out a Nitecore NU25, you can get an ultralight strap and have it complete at 32g and it’s rechargeable
Ditch the mini pilers what are you actually going to use them for
First aid wise throw some gauze to pack a wound and maybe an israeli bandage/pain meds. I’m revamping my kit this year. Goal is 1lb with the ability to handle a severe bleed and allergic reaction

Sure there’s more but it’s a start
Thanks - these are great. I thought I would need the pliers to replace the blades on the tyto (no?), and this was the lightest pair as compared to my prior choice - the Leatherman Squirt. The Israeli bandage was in a prior version and was surprisingly heavy (3oz). We figure we can do better with the Celox z-fold gauze and a shirt - unless a tourniquet is needed. I won't go anywhere without a tourniquet.

renagde

WKR
Here's my pack https://lighterpack.com/r/89cuq3

A couple suggestions for you:

Drop the stuff sack for the stakes. I found that the stuff sack supplied with my tent was big enough for my tent, sleeping bag, ground sheet, and stakes. I could probably cut an ounce or more going to multiple dyneema sacks but thats another $50+.

Like others have mentioned drop the pee bag.

I probably wouldn't pack 2 lighters and fire tinder. Carry 1 lighter and get some firesteel or similar.

You should have a compass on both your inreach and your phone. No need for a 3rd.

Drop the pliers

Leave one pair of gloves behind

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Pee bag - do all of you guys leave the tent during the night?

Some big items:
  • By switching from the marsupial bino harness and RF pouch to the RYO setup, I think I would save about 14oz
  • By switching from the Obsidian pants to some old Kuiu Teton stretch pants I have, I could save 6oz, but think the Tetons aren't as breathable.
  • By switching from my Tract 8x42 binos, to a set of Leupold 10x42 McKenzie, I would drop another 6 oz, but expect the quality is materially different.

renagde

WKR
Pee bag - do all of you guys leave the tent during the night?

Some big items:
  • By switching from the marsupial bino harness and RF pouch to the RYO setup, I think I would save about 14oz
  • By switching from the Obsidian pants to some old Kuiu Teton stretch pants I have, I could save 6oz, but think the Tetons aren't as breathable.
  • By switching from my Tract 8x42 binos, to a set of Leupold 10x42 McKenzie, I would drop another 6 oz, but expect the quality is materially different.

Haven't had to piss in the middle of the night since who knows when. If i did, yes I would leave.

Here's my pack https://lighterpack.com/r/89cuq3

A couple suggestions for you:

Drop the stuff sack for the stakes. I found that the stuff sack supplied with my tent was big enough for my tent, sleeping bag, ground sheet, and stakes. I could probably cut an ounce or more going to multiple dyneema sacks but thats another $50+.

Like others have mentioned drop the pee bag.

I probably wouldn't pack 2 lighters and fire tinder. Carry 1 lighter and get some firesteel or similar.

You should have a compass on both your inreach and your phone. No need for a 3rd.

Drop the pliers

Leave one pair of gloves behind

I’ll pipe up the compass. I’m adding one to my kit this year for hitting waypoint bearings. I hunt thick blow down bush and it would be nice to choose a point of interest and it’s bearing. Set my compass and go. I found the inreach one was unreliable unless I was moving. It’s between a Silva Ranger SL or Suunto MC-2 currently

prm

WKR
From hard experience I always have a compass (tied to my backpack) and two light sources. The conditions that make electronics quit are roughly the same as when you need them most.
Navigating out of thick woods at night in torrential rains will make you appreciate a good compass.

Lawnboi

WKR
You have a good setup. I really don’t see anywhere really to even cut. I’d maybe add an elite battery in there. I’d get out there with your gear, you will find out what you want and don’t really quick.

Lots of good suggestions but Don’t ditch the water tabs!! Filters break, don’t ruin a trip or risk it for a quarter ounce. Tablets are even lighter.

Depending on how far your going, and where some extras for processing can be really nice, a plastic sheet can be a huge asset, along with extra cordage. Flagging tape can be replaced with some tp, multi use.

Also wouldn’t ditch the compass or paper map. Relying on electronics isn’t a good idea.

Last edited:

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't agree more with the other folks on compass and paper map.

I wear a Suunto M-9 for land nav. on a Marathon Navigator wrist strap - the velco crap that comes in the box is trash. Also be wary of magnets on bino harness closures... they'll screw with that fancy phone compass, too.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks everyone. I'm sticking with the compass and map, in large part because of a few of the Gritty Bowmen podcasts on navigation. I'm currently trying to find a good source for printed maps with UTM grids (as I posted elsewhere today), other than MyTopo (as I can't seem to figure out how to size a single map for a complete view of a CO GMU).