Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 7 3.7%

Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 9 4.7%

Votes: 31 16.3%

Votes: 39 20.5%

Votes: 93 48.9%

• Total voters
First, and most important: I am in no way trying to disrespect antelope or, God forbid, antelope hunters, ok?

I have heard that antelope is just ok, at best. Rinella, in one of his shows, mentions this and says that antelope gets a bad rap.

So….

Please rate it, again for the table, on a 1-10 scale 1=rotting road kill; 10=awesome

Thanks!

Get it out of the guts and off the bone. Wife and I prefer antelope over all else. We shoot elk, mule deer, whitetail about every year. It does have a funky smell even when taken care of. Does not mean it tastes bad. Some of the finest meat on earth!

EdP

WKR
We have had elk, deer (mule and whitetail), black bear, and pronghorn. The wife and I both like pronghorn the best of all of them. It can get quite warm on sunny afternoons in pronghorn country, even in Oct, and generally there is no shade to be found. Some forethought is needed at times to get an animal out of the field and cooled down quickly.

Zdub02

WKR
Jumping in to echo previous comments. Antelope is fantastic table fare and my personal favorite game meat. Wish I could hunt them more often.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
Get it out of the guts and off the bone. Wife and I prefer antelope over all else. We shoot elk, mule deer, whitetail about every year. It does have a funky smell even when taken care of. Does not mean it tastes bad. Some of the finest meat on earth!

Until last year I had never noticed the smell and had some doubts about people having problems with smell/taste of antelope (all of ours have been exceptionally good table fare).

In late Sept last year my wife and I shot two bucks, maybe 4 miles apart. Mine was noticeably rutty smelling on the ground, hers was not at all. Both were bang-flops, we processed them the same way, gutless quarters, keeping hair off the meat, on ice/cooling off within 1-2 hrs of hitting the dirt. So basically all the right meat care things.

Even now when we cook meat from my buck it has a very noticeable, I'll call it "antelope", smell. Its not a rutty smell necessarily, but its there, and consistently. Meat still tastes great, but if a person is sensitive to smell I can now totally see how they could be put off on an antelope that has it.

The meat from my wife's buck on the other hand, hardly any smell to it, just a pleasant sweeter smell when cooking.