Anticosti Island

Spinman75

FNG
The wife and I booked an Anticosti trip this year. Been on my Bucket list for a long time. Anyone have any need to know info? Is there any specific gear i'll need to take or just the usual?

My dads buddy has been up there a bunch.

Typical rainy fronts rolling through and could be a good shower or few day event.

I’ll ask my dad again next time I call him for more details. He’s always heard about the place and happened to make friends with a guy that’s hunted it a lot as a group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luis

FNG
I have thought about going there the last several years. Are the firearms paperwork available for an individual, or did you have the guide service handle it for you?

OP
S

Spinman75

FNG
I have thought about going there the last several years. Are the firearms paperwork available for an individual, or did you have the guide service handle it for you?
I haven’t looked into that yet. However I do believe the paperwork is available for the individual

iduckhunt

FNG
The wife and I booked an Anticosti trip this year. Been on my Bucket list for a long time. Anyone have any need to know info? Is there any specific gear i'll need to take or just the usual?
It depends on your outfitter, my guess you booked a Sepaq Anticosti hunt if so the type of hunt i.e. American Plan or European Plan would dictate what you bring. This year will be my 11th time hunting Anticosti with Sepaq Anticosti previous 8 American Plan and 2 European Plan hunts The European Plan requires bedding, towels and such, which limits some of your other gear to achieve the 75 lbs limit. You'll need to buy food and other essentials in Port Menier under the European plan. Normal hunting gear should include bleat can, rattling antlers, and a grunt call they work well on Anticosti. I'll be hunting out of McDonald this year and all my gear except a set of thermals I just ordered are washed, weighed and packed in my Anticosti tub.
Bonne Chasse

I haven’t looked into that yet. However I do believe the paperwork is available for the individual
When I hunted bear in Ontario, I contacted the Canadian border about paperwork they sent me the needed documents, had them filled out and presented them to the officer at the border paid the fee and was on my way. Really made the process pretty easy.

iduckhunt

FNG
Anticosti deer have unique genetics and have been recognized as such, much like Blacktail. Recently a new record book category was created for Anticosti deer.

iduckhunt

FNG
When I hunted bear in Ontario, I contacted the Canadian border about paperwork they sent me the needed documents, had them filled out and presented them to the officer at the border paid the fee and was on my way. Really made the process pretty easy.
paperwork is the "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration" form from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Form number RCMP GRC 5589e and available on-line.

iduckhunt

FNG
paperwork is the "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration" form from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Form number RCMP GRC 5589e and available on-line.

Just fill it out and bring it with you to the border crossing, they will review the paperwork, sometimes they check your rifle, you pay a small fee, then you are on your way. Given there is no other reason to detain you.

iduckhunt

FNG
Which camp will you be hunting and when. I'll be hunting in November might see you there. Some photos from previous hunts on Anticosti. Photo of me with my two bucks I was lucky to tag out on that day, next day had 23 mph constant winds gusts to 34 mph and 4 inches of rain, no deer were taken that day as nobody left the trucks.

Attachments

• 100_1428.JPG
    100_1428.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1430.JPG
    100_1430.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1742.JPG
    100_1742.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 34

iduckhunt

FNG
paperwork is the "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration" form from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Form number RCMP GRC 5589e and available on-line. Paperwork (and firearm) is checked at the border, you park in designated spot go inside they review paperwork, you pay a small fee, they may want to inspect your firearm and then you are on your way.

iduckhunt

FNG
I could never understand the why people flood that island to hunt such little deer?
my last 8 pointer had a 253 lb body weight outweighing the 12 pt that was shot by about 60 lbs I consider that a pretty big deer, my guide said it was unusually big. I hunt Anticosti because by my standards its a great hunt in a great location. Unlike saskatchsewan where I spent days freezing over a bait pile and yes hay is bait, I get to sit on an non-baited stand or my favorite method is spot and stalk. My shots have ranged from 12 yds to 328 yds. The deer don't have ticks, no pets allowed on the island. In winter they migrate to the shore to feed on kelp which give them a sweater tasting meat unlike NYS and most other deer that eat twigs in the winter.

I stay in a five star lodge with a five star chef and daily housekeeping. I drink Top shelf liquor where the martinis are shaken not stirred, and the wine list is superb, of course we do buy all the alcohol ourselves. All lodges are located on the ocean or river making for a beautiful surrounding. You are allowed 2 deer in your 4 day hunt and over the past 10 years I tagged out on 19 bucks and the biggest doe I've seen which outweighed all but one of the 32 deer taken in camp that week.

I no longer hunt with the group I started with but most of them hunted Anticosti for over 20 years and they had the means to hunt anywhere in the world and some did just that but year after year they returned to Anticosti. Anticosti is often referred to as magical place and for some of us it is. I don't judge the quality of a deer hunt by rack size, if I did I would be going back to Saskatchewan every year, but sitting over a bait pile is not for me.

gerry35

WKR
my last 8 pointer had a 253 lb body weight outweighing the 12 pt that was shot by about 60 lbs I consider that a pretty big deer, my guide said it was unusually big. I hunt Anticosti because by my standards its a great hunt in a great location. Unlike saskatchsewan where I spent days freezing over a bait pile and yes hay is bait, I get to sit on an non-baited stand or my favorite method is spot and stalk. My shots have ranged from 12 yds to 328 yds. The deer don't have ticks, no pets allowed on the island. In winter they migrate to the shore to feed on kelp which give them a sweater tasting meat unlike NYS and most other deer that eat twigs in the winter.

I stay in a five star lodge with a five star chef and daily housekeeping. I drink Top shelf liquor where the martinis are shaken not stirred, and the wine list is superb, of course we do buy all the alcohol ourselves. All lodges are located on the ocean or river making for a beautiful surrounding. You are allowed 2 deer in your 4 day hunt and over the past 10 years I tagged out on 19 bucks and the biggest doe I've seen which outweighed all but one of the 32 deer taken in camp that week.

I no longer hunt with the group I started with but most of them hunted Anticosti for over 20 years and they had the means to hunt anywhere in the world and some did just that but year after year they returned to Anticosti. Anticosti is often referred to as magical place and for some of us it is. I don't judge the quality of a deer hunt by rack size, if I did I would be going back to Saskatchewan every year, but sitting over a bait pile is not for me.
Have read about that place for years and it sounds like an interesting and unique experience. Not just about the biggest rack but an enjoyable hunting experience.

gary day

FNG
Been hunting Anticosti since 99 never seen or heard of a deer weighing that much exspecialy in last 15 years. We have been same camp since we started hunting the island. We have taken two bucks at the 200 pound mark. And now they seem to be 135-145 the normal. And the heard at chicotte is down no way near what it was. We hunt nov 15-20 prime rut do very very well.
Hopefully the new man in charge will continue to make adjustments to help the herd return. The stop of the winter hunt will definitely help. I wish everyone a great fall and many memories.