Any of you all have a DIY big target at home

Luked

WKR
I have plenty of smaller targets like 18-1, small 20" bag targets and a 6x6 block also.
I am wanting to shoot more this year and also go back to a thumb release and get rid of the wrist rocket as I have got some target panic pretty good and need to remedy it.
Back in the day years ago we had an archery shop right here in town that I knew the guy well and could shoot about any time I wanted.
He has since closed down years ago and there are no shops close at all that have ranges.
This puts me to shooting at home all the time.

Back then i did a lot of blind bale type shooting when learning to shoot a hinge etc but those days are long gone.

Thought of jsut doing the two hay bales on top of each other but wondered if you all had some other large target you made for the back yard.

LostArra

WKR
If you're handy then build one like in the video.

I waited until Big Shot Archery had a sale + free shipping on their 30x30 Iron Man Personal Range target.
It is a heavy beast and I will probably never wear it out. Arrows pull out easily.

ShakeDown

WKR
Rag Bag targets are easy and cheap.

I also have built big 36”x36” targets by using 1x2” boards to build a frame, then cutting 1/4 ply to support the outer border. Need a big cardboard box to cut to fit the front, stuff the cavity with a boat load of plastic as compressed as possible, and then staple on the opposite side with another cardboard piece. Large tarp over it all and a few spray painted aiming points.

A staple gun helps.

Sorry, no good pics but I have this one.

39E132D2-6E29-4BD3-8A7D-BBF2EE04F843.jpeg

You can get a morrell m48 replacement bag and smash it full of clothes, carpet and such. The target usually has a metal frame but I’m not sure if it really needs it.

I have built a 48in x 48 in one using 2x4 frame and cardboard faces (front and back). I cramed it with clothes and it worked find. When the cardboard failded in weather and use I replaced it or just stapled a new face on. Carboard that big is harder to source but can be done. I got the idea from DIY hunter on youtube.

My local outdoor range built some out of compressed carpet strips. The targets are like 5ft x 5ft with boards on top and bottom compress with straps and threaded rod. They coated the carpet with some glue like substance I think for weather protection, but I don't know what it is.

Also check out:
Elk101 youtube has a target build using 1x4 as a frame with a tarp face and inside is painters plastic sheeting crammed tight

insideoutprecision youtube has one with 2x4 and all thread/wratchet straps compressing mats of rubber. Rubber was sourced from harbor freight I belive and cut into strips. I've seen a similar design with like gym rubber mats squares (24x24 or 36 x36)in sheets compressed in a similar manner.

I have my range set up with animals and 18:1/high rollers from 20-80 and I have a couple of bag targets I use when its either cold or Im working on tweaking sight tapes and pins. I go through a lot of them. Ive found the yellow jackets take the most shots in relation to cost as far as bag targets go. They are my beaters and take the most shots. For 80+ I have 2 yellow jacket yj400s side by side and basically pinched together on the short side ( with the larger faces forward) with a ratchet strap - I guess generally the same idea as how matrix targets are held together. Side by side they measure about 50x25 and you can probably get both for around 175ish. Most targets that size are going to run twice as much. You can DIY for less, but if youre looking for a ready to roll option, that might be the way to go.

jimh406

WKR
I built a target a few years ago and have a new build on my list of things to do. The core of the target was cardboard strips with a 2x6 on the top and bottom. I used all threads on each side to compress it. If you weld, you could use metal rod for the bottom part and use a sleeve to attach the top to the bottom. There really isn't any reason it had to be all thread at the bottom since you don't want that part to move.

A 4x4 or larger might be a better choice for the top/bottom with less chance to break while tightening.

Obviously, a roof or some type of cover/tarp is necessary since cardboard isn't waterproof.

Firestone

WKR
I go to my local grocery store and buy their cardboard bales for 5 bucks. They usually last a year. If it was packed good I can flip it over and get a year out of the other side

Marshfly

WKR
I did the 3x3 third hand target. Love it. Takes way more clothes/blankets than you'd think to fill. Put it on wheels so you can shoot both sides.

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
Puzzle piece foam
Gym Matt off Amazon the blue Matt’s work better than the grey ones idk why cut em I. Half stack em out a 2x4 on top and bottom and ratchet them together worker great
Struggles to stop 4 mm arrows in the rain tho

I do commercial roofing for a living. Got a big lot of eps styrofoam taper that was left from a job. It’s 4’ deep, 4’ high and 8’ wide. Pretty tough to miss lol. I just set my small targets in front of it and never worry about losing arrows.

Legend

WKR
My first one was a bale of recycled cardboard. I compressed it a little more and then used my chainsaw.to cut a smooth face. Worked well but not all that pretty.

I did the 3x3 third hand target. Love it. Takes way more clothes/blankets than you'd think to fill. Put it on wheels so you can shoot both sides.

I have built two of the 3'x3' (one for outside, one in my basement) and they are awesome, but as mentioned, they take way more clothes than you would think it takes. I "saved up" for a few years, had a few friends give me some, and actually had a local church that does a clothing drive give me a bunch of their rejected clothes.

At our club we build our target butts for field points, 4’X4’ 2x4 frame sheathed with plywood cardboard and bradas face stuffed with hollow fill trimmings from a sleeping bag manufacturer.
some bails are over 20 years old.

Beendare

WKR
I buy the Big Morrel cover, cut some purple rigid foam chunks to form the bottom 3 sides of the square. Insert a contractor bag or two, And fill with old clothes