We are building a new 3D trail, any advice? How many targets does your range have?

KBC

WKR
We are building new 3D trails at my local range. The plan is to have 2 trails with at least 30 targets per side with the standard compound, trad and youth stakes to shoot from. We are also going to have at least 40 long range or extreme stakes to shoot from and will have some wheelchair accessible shooting positions.

Any good advice for setting up cool shots?

We are also curious how big we will be compared to other places. How many 3D targets does your range have?

Give me any tips you have!

Generally it's no more than 20 targets set around here.

But usually not left out, bears can be he'll on targets.

Personally I'd rather a range that moves the targets around, change the shots frequently.

Just use what you have to make the shots, between trees, put targets in holes so they stay in a shadow.

Reactions: KBC

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
But usually not left out, bears can be he'll on targets.
And cats. I was at a range here late last September and on the far end of the 3D trail, every target at the end was torn up. On one target you could actually see the claw marks and depression dug out in the shape of the pads, just like a cat paw. I should have taken pics.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
We’ve had the odd target get hit by a bear but so far it’s been ok. We’ll be leaving things out year round.

TheTone

WKR
My local range has two loops of 15 targets. My favorite shot is one that is across a creek bottom. Closest shot on that target is about 25 yards and the farthest about 60 with you slightly above the target. Range also does a good job of breaking up target presentations; if you shoot a couple in the timber then you’ll get one in the wide open. For me it helps a lot with range estimations

Reactions: KBC
My local range is about a half mile (0.8km to you) loop with 20 targets. The spacing seems about right to me.

Marble

WKR
I like shots that are realistic.

Having a target with potential obstructions, but not so bad, it's a blatant arrow killer.

One range had 2 targets, one behind the other. I forget the distance, but it was set up to where you could shoot over the back of the first one to get the second one. It was a popular target to lay some bets.

I like having a really long target to shoot at. They are always popular. Somewhere in that 100-110 yard range.

If you can get some shits with steep angles and also some side hill shots.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

JCS271

FNG
I understand the point of having Youth, traditional, and compound pins during a competition, but if it is just walk at your own pace Saturday afternoon recreational shooting, I am a huge advocate of just letting the Archer stand wherever they want and create realistic hunting challenges for themselves.

Lots more fun and very beneficial for actual bowhunting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like challenging shots, shooting through branches/brush etc, between two very close trees, 60+ yard shots, as mentioned above.....targets that are hidden in the shadows, up hill, down hill, etc, etc.