Any physical therapists on here? Hamstring rehab question

The other day I was surfing going backside and trying to make a sketchy section sort of squatted with all my weight on my front foot heelside rail and my hamstring gave out. felt like a pop. I've pulled my calf and quad before it felt very similar. I have just been resting and icing so far but plan to start some exercises soon to get the rehab process going. Usually I have done this in the past with lots of success from watching youtube but there's a million hamstring rehab videos. I don;t think I have a traditional hamstring pull either because I can walk fine and go up stairs fine and most hamstring rehab I think is for runners as this is not . I think it might be something with the Semimembranosus or Semitendinosus if I'm looking at an anatomy diagram. The tenderness is also at the bottom of the hamstring, closer to the knee then in the middle. Would that be the Semimembranosus? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

for example i have only a little pain (when lifting all the way up) when doing the first test raising one leg at a time and then no pain doing the bridge test (2nd test in video) It's a little confusing about what I can do to get things going again.

Last edited:
Semitendinosus is the center muscle.
The short head of Biceps Femoris only crosses the knee. It attaches to the femur and fibula.
Popliteus is also in the posterior knee. It attaches to the femur and tibia.
Is your pain on the inside/medial or outside/lateral portion of the knee?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have a hamstring issues too, but mine turned out to be my sciatic nerve. It’s a real pain in the ass, and leg, and now lower back!

OP
bojangles808
Semitendinosus is the center muscle.
The short head of Biceps Femoris only crosses the knee. It attaches to the femur and fibula.
Popliteus is also in the posterior knee. It attaches to the femur and tibia.
Is your pain on the inside/medial or outside/lateral portion of the knee?
ty. from the back of my knee tenderness is about 1/3 up the hamstring on the inside or side closer to my groin

OP
bojangles808
No it's not that far outside. Im pretty sure it's a pulled semitendinosus. It's weird walking going up stairs no pain but I feel randomly like if I try a good morning, If lift my toes and squat, if. Ireach I to the back seat I felt it too ( right leg ). How do you rehab that? isometric contractions? What exercises?

RC_

FNG
OP
bojangles808
Have a pretty extensive history of hamstring injuries resulting from sprinting in college. The link below closely mirrors what our rehab program looked like. If it’s not too bad you can likely jump in at phase 2 or at the very least start lightly biking to keep the tissue loose and promote bloodflow.

Awesome thank you. I've isolated it to where if I have external rotation of my tibia and lateral rotation of my foot (outward like a duck) and reach towards my toes thats when I feel it the most. So still not sure but I will give that link a look

VuduDoc

FNG
*Not a PT* but with an audible "pop" and that much bruising I would suspect more than just a strain. Possibly Grade 3. Any "balling-up" of the hamstring? Does it look different shaped on your left than your right? Depending on any strength loss, range of motion loss, as well as quality of life difficulties, I would go in to your primary doctor and consider getting some imaging to look into the severity of the tear.

EdP

WKR
I would forget the primary and go to an orthopedic practice. The primary will just refer and that will delay an accurate diagnosis. Most of the ortho practices around here take walk-ins for just that reason, and because repair of some injuries are time critical.