Any reason NOT to buy a T3?

grfox92

WKR
I just sold a gun at a shop that happens to have a T3 in Stainless in 300WSM.

I've always wanted a 300WSM Tikka. I want to shoot 185 Jugs or 208 ELDs so twist rate is no issue.

1. Does the T3 accept the same stocks and bottom metal as the T3X?

2. Is the ability to use pre fits the same for a T3 vs T3x

3. Does the T3 have the same great trigger as the T3X?

4. Will I regret getting a T3 vs a T3X? Is there any reason not to buy this very clean T3 for $600?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I just sold a gun at a shop that happens to have a T3 in Stainless in 300WSM.

I've always wanted a 300WSM Tikka. I want to shoot 185 Jugs or 208 ELDs so twist rate is no issue.

1. Does the T3 accept the same stocks and bottom metal as the T3X?

2. Is the ability to use pre fits the same for a T3 vs T3x

3. Does the T3 have the same great trigger as the T3X?

4. Will I regret getting a T3 vs a T3X? Is there any reason not to buy this very clean T3 for $600?

Thanks for any input.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No. In fact if that shop ships and you decide to pass, please shoot me a PM and I will buy it.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No. In fact if that shop ships and you decide to pass, please shoot me a PM and I will buy it.
Thank you. I want a magnum Tikka, a standard bolt face Tikka and a .223 Tikka.

This one is $300 less than a Stainless T3x, it's going to wind up in an aftermarket stock anyway so I figure I'd grab it.

Ram94

WKR
I could be wrong but I believe the short mag cartridges had ejection issues with the smaller port on the T3 vs T3x.

atmat

WKR
I could be wrong but I believe the short mag cartridges had ejection issues with the smaller port on the T3 vs T3x.
I believe this is correct.

Also, Stainless T3x can be had for $775 post-tax — so keep that in mind as you compare.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Hmm, I'd like to hear more about this.

I would snap it up. My t3 30-06 has the smoothest action and trigger out of my small fleet of t3xs and any of my buddies t3xs. It’s also the most accurate.

robtattoo

WKR
I would snap it up. My t3 30-06 has the smoothest action and trigger out of my small fleet of t3xs and any of my buddies t3xs. It’s also the most accurate.

Same for me & my 6.5x55. I can't say why, but it's just 'nicer' than my 2 T3xs. It shoots better, the action is another & it feels more solid. I have no explanation why, other than the ejection port, it's identical.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned a left hand t3 in 270 WSM since 2009 and have never had a failure to eject. Sample of one but no issues for me whatsoever

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
What part?
Is it a problem that plagued all the short mags? Like all of them had issues? Or is it one of those things that people talk about because a few failures to eject here and there?

Is there a solution?

atmat

WKR
Is it a problem that plagued all the short mags? Like all of them had issues? Or is it one of those things that people talk about because a few failures to eject here and there?

Is there a solution?

Ah, I’m not the expert on that, which is why I said I “believe” other poster is correct. I do remember reading some posts on other forums.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Ah, I’m not the expert on that, which is why I said I “believe” other poster is correct. I do remember reading some posts on other forums.
No problem, I'm just hoping others who have had them chime in. It's exactly why I made the thread, I don't want to regret it.

Ram94

WKR
Same story here fox, not sure where I read about it but it does ring a bell. If it ended up being an issue though, you could send the action in to UM for some milling.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
So after doing some googling, it seems people have issues with ejection in .223 and 300WSM T3s. Some of it is brass hitting the windage turret. Some of it isn't.

I might be passing on this rifle and ordering a T3x in 6.5 CM. Will I have issues with ejection running low rings with an SWFA?

Just my experience…..my T3 300wsm never had any ejection issues or hitting the scope and I had a Trijicon ten-mile on it at the time. Granted I put a long bolt stop in it and used a hells canyon mag relatively early when I got it.

ElPollo

WKR
So after doing some googling, it seems people have issues with ejection in .223 and 300WSM T3s. Some of it is brass hitting the windage turret. Some of it isn't.

I might be passing on this rifle and ordering a T3x in 6.5 CM. Will I have issues with ejection running low rings with an SWFA?

Some of that is because of the fricken giant turrets on SWFA scope and where you mount them. If you have this issue and can’t fix it by shifting the scope forward or aft, you can take the windage turret off and replace it with a plastic cap. Most don’t dial for wind, but I would only recommend that with a very reliable scope like an SWFA. I’ve done this for a 3-15 on a T3 in the past.

There are 4 things that are different between T3s and T3xs: the stock (the inlet is the same), the ejection port size, the plastic vs metal bolt shroud, and the aluminum vs steel recoil lug. The last one is the only issue that can significantly affect the function and accuracy of the rifle, but you can easily replace it with a steel one.

If you get a good deal on a T3, I wouldn’t pass it up.

Edit: The one I had ejection issues with was a T3 in 300 WSM with a 3-15 SWFA.

I did, but that was solved by moving the scope further back. Moving to UM mediums seemed to solve the issue for good.

Gorp2007

WKR
If you’re looking to eventually have Tikkas in standard and magnum, I’d still pick up that T3 along with your new 6.5. If ejection turns it to be an issue, you can just swap the barrels and bolts and now you’ve got a T3 in 6.5CM and your 300WSM can live in a T3X action with the larger port.