Anybody tried Big Agnes Lost Ranger UL 3N1

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
So I ended up getting the UL lost ranger 15 degree.

I had gotten the cillkoot prior, a friend bought it for me but got the 0 degree instead 15 like I wanted. I sold it and bought the lost ranger.

I have nor spent a night in it yet but initially I am pretty excited about the comfort. The outer quilt will be awesome for late summer hunts.

But I will get back on here with a review once I test it our.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
The 0 degree outer bag ( blue not UL version) worked great in ~45-50 degrees for me last week. I believe it's rated for 50 degrees and I found it to be borderline too warm at those temps. Haven't gotten out colder yet/won't til September at earliest

I had it and let it go... Just a little too much hassle with the whole dual zipper thing, etc. Quality stuff though. I would probably be looking at ZenBivy, if pressed to find a similar sleep system, but I actually don't mind a mummy bag (and liner, if pressed).

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
So did my first night up here in SE AK. I only had the outer bag (quilt) and it was awesome. Temp hit about 50 during the night and I was plenty comfortable. One of the most comfortable nights I have had in the field.

I haven't not tried the whole set up together yet in the field. I tried it out at home and the inner bag makes things claustrophobic up towards the ahoulders and head, for me anyways. But we will see. Maybe in the field at lower Temps I will like it.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love for someone to do a comparison/side by side of this vs the zenbivy lite....anyone?

SwiftShot

WKR
There are a lot of reviews from back packers already. Most like it but point out it is not new Zenbivy has been doing it longer. One complaint was zipper I think on the inside bag.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Yes when trying it at home I noticed the zipper of the inside bag was a bit tricky.

I now have the nemo tensor pad and lost ranger set up. They both make things a little bit more complicated to set up. I'm hoping the comfort will offset that.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Zipper does catch the bag a decent amount of not careful, in my limited experience. Still relatively pleased with the system (though I don't have a ton of high end sleep system experience to compare it to).

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
So I have sort of put it thru the paces now. Tried it with just the "quilt", just the bag and both of them together.

The things I do like.
The pillow barn is great when using the quilt. The system is very versatile in terms of different setups depending on temperature. Which saves money instead of buying 2 or 3 dufferent setups. It's pretty lightweight. To me it seems to be very good quality.

The things I don't like.
The zipper on the inner bag is pretty sticky until you get used to it. The system when put together does feel a little bit complicated at times. When using them together, it does not feel like sleeping in your bed since you are still in a sleeping bag. However it is still more comfortable than a regular bag.

I think I will hold on to it for a while until I get whim to get something different. I like it but I guess at the same time I was hoping more for that bed feeling.

Bater

WKR
This pretty much mirrors my experience. I have spent Two years now using this as my primary backpack hunting sleep system paired with the Rapide SL pad. The quilt is absolutely perfect for early season and the inner bag adds quite a bit of warmth later in the year. I will agree with the zippers, for the money they should be better. The pillow barn is also fantastic for holding a pillow in place. Overall it’s the best system that does everything from warm to cold that I have found.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
This pretty much mirrors my experience. I have spent Two years now using this as my primary backpack hunting sleep system paired with the Rapide SL pad. The quilt is absolutely perfect for early season and the inner bag adds quite a bit of warmth later in the year. I will agree with the zippers, for the money they should be better. The pillow barn is also fantastic for holding a pillow in place. Overall it’s the best system that does everything from warm to cold that I have found.
Same here/agreed all around. Would add that It's not that small or light to pack, but I think it's worth it. Have slept comfortably in 10, 25, 45 and 60 degree temp ranges. (All with an exped synmat)