Anyone call/bring in blacktail or black bear?

2-Stix

WKR
Hi Folks,
Does anyone use antlers or a faun bleat to bring in blacktail bucks?

And for bear a distressed rabbit or other?

If so what ones?

My cousin and I are looking to hunt deeper woods and less road hunting this year. Where we hunt is very very thick timber.

Thanks,
Josh

Every year we kill mature blacktail that come to the call. We use the E.L.K Inc DeerTalk. I’ll throw the link at the bottom. My best success has been just before the rut and during the rut. For me on Kodiak that usually looks like two weeks on either side of Halloween.

I use the call to do fawn bleats at various levels. I usually do three or four “sets” for an hour in one spot with 15 minutes between each set. After that I hike a mile or so and repeat. That being said I have killed a buck almost an hour after finishing my last set. A set consists of four/five fawn disress calls in growing volume each set. Just imagine there could be a deer within yards of your first set and you don’t want to scare them off. By the fourth set it’s quite aggressive and high pitched. Put a lot of emotion into the call and imagine what it’d sound like if a fawn was being chewed on.

Speaking of being chewed on I do live on Kodiak so I don’t call in dense areas or where there’s a lot of cover. I like to be in a decent glassing point with a few hundreds yards of visibility in each direction. I’ve yet to call in a bear however I know people have.

Bottom line I never leave the house without one of those calls in my bino harness. In the past seven years my hunting partners and o have killed some very respectable blacktails, and 80% of them have been killed from October 19th to Nov 7th and they’ve all come to a fawn-in-distress call.

The picture I attatched was from a Halloween buck. He came to the call almost an hour after our last set. We were just drinking coffee and about to head back when I saw him sprinting through a clearing with his ears down and tongue hanging out of his mouth. He ran all the way to 40 yards before catching onto us.

Attachments

• 016EBDEF-3EE6-43E6-84B0-256B2BA8D789.jpeg
    016EBDEF-3EE6-43E6-84B0-256B2BA8D789.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

WKR

WKR
Please, tell me more.
2022 archery season, me and my hunting partner hiked about 1.5 Miles down a deserted logging road occasionally stopping to glass for a buck. We reached the end and were getting ready to head back to camp but I always carry a fawn in distress call and I usually will blow on it if I'm not seeing anything just to see if there are any deer in the area that we didn't see glassing as they will usually pop there heads up or sometime the does will come running at you. So I do a couple call sequences and my buddy says hey get down there's a big bear heading right towards us. I look and see a big sow about 150 yards out making her way into the clearing right below us. She stops a couple times and each time id get back on the call and she would keep coming. Came right into 45 yards and I told my buddy to shoot as he hadn't killed a bear yet. He sends an arrow right through the vitals and she dies withing sight at around 70 yards.

Last edited:

Nails

FNG
I've killed several Sitka blacktail on Kodiak Island over the years by blowing on a blade of grass, to simulate a fawn in distress.
I'm guessing you are asking about columbian blacktail, but I bet it works for them as well.

I have friends that had bears respond. I never did that I'm aware of. Just lucky I guess.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Typically I am hunting coastal black tail in southern CA and southern OR.

Last edited:
2022 archery season, me and my hunting partner hiked about 1.5 Miles down a deserted logging road occasionally stopping to glass for a buck. We reached the end and were getting ready to head back to camp but I always carry a fawn in distress call and I usually will blow on it if I'm not seeing anything just to see if there are any deer in the area that we didn't see glassing as they will usually pop there heads up or sometime the does will come running at you. So I do a couple call sequences and my buddy says hey get down there's a big bear heading right towards us. I look and see a big sow about 150 yards out making her way into the clearing right below us. She stops a couple times and each time id get back on the call and she would keep coming. Came right into 45 yards and I told my buddy to shoot as he hadn't killed a bear yet. He sends an arrow right through the vitals and she dies withing sight at around 70 yards. There's a video of this whole encounter if you want to watch it go down.
I'd love to watch it, please share

WKR

WKR
Typically I am hunting coastal black tail in CA and OR.
I've only ever been able to get really small bucks that are still running with does to come into a call here in CA, but like I said it works really well on bears. I carry one in my bino harness at all times and especially while scouting because it helps me locate deer and I quite often get does to literally come charging at me.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of sequence have people had success with for bears? Call non stop for 3 minutes or 30 minutes?

hikenhunt

WKR
I rattled in a nice blacktail buck last fall in western WA. I've tried it on whitetail without success. This was the first time I had tried on blacktail, got lucky! Ironically his rack was nearly identical to the set I was rattling with...

I rattled in a nice blacktail buck last late archery season in southern Oregon. I also rattled in a bear to under 20 yards and shot right over its back. I used antlers and a buck grunt.

I have called in lots of deer around Sitka with a fawn bleat. I try every fall here in Oregon and it hasn't worked yet. I think the fawn bleat would be killer around the end if spring bear when fawns are dropping.

NoBadP17

FNG
2022 archery season, me and my hunting partner hiked about 1.5 Miles down a deserted logging road occasionally stopping to glass for a buck. We reached the end and were getting ready to head back to camp but I always carry a fawn in distress call and I usually will blow on it if I'm not seeing anything just to see if there are any deer in the area that we didn't see glassing as they will usually pop there heads up or sometime the does will come running at you. So I do a couple call sequences and my buddy says hey get down there's a big bear heading right towards us. I look and see a big sow about 150 yards out making her way into the clearing right below us. She stops a couple times and each time id get back on the call and she would keep coming. Came right into 45 yards and I told my buddy to shoot as he hadn't killed a bear yet. He sends an arrow right through the vitals and she dies withing sight at around 70 yards. There's a video of this whole encounter if you want to watch it go down.
Caccia crew???