Anyone else having issues with single wall tents and staying warm?

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I will be looking at purchasing one of their semi rec bags next year.

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies, trying my best to describe how i could be damp from what I assume is sweat and cold at the same time. Ive tried to unzip all the way to use as a blanket and was cold as well. I dont think i can pitch the seek outside tents off the ground so may have to figure out some way to test it out.

Brendan

WKR
I don't think it's your tent.

Some people just sweat - I'm one of them. What happens is you start sweating sometimes after you fall asleep and warm up even if you felt fine when you first crawl in. Then your base layers get damp, then your down bag gets damp. Neither cotton or down insulate well or at all when they get damp / wet. Now you've lost insulation, you wake up cold and sweaty at the same time.

If it were me I would be ditching the cotton shirt, using merino or synthetic base layers for sleeping, and be looking into a synthetic bag or quilt.

Minimizing condensation in your shelter isn't a bad thing though - Seek outside shelters can be pitched up, just requires you to work on it a little differently. Use Paracord loops on the tie outs, extend the center pole / trekking poles, etc. There was a big thread a year or two back talking about using Lineloc 3 adjusters - I'm using them on my sawtooth.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear a cotton tshirt

That's part of the problem. Cotton absorbs moisture into the fibers and stays damp/wet and you stay cold. I also think your down is getting damp if it's that wet inside your shelter. Humidity and cool makes for downright COLD. And it's been humid and cold these first two weeks of hunting season, but the warmup is here. Back to normal September hunting this week. Thumbs up.

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
That's part of the problem. Cotton absorbs moisture into the fibers and stays damp/wet and you stay cold. I also think your down is getting damp if it's that wet inside your shelter. Humidity and cool makes for downright COLD. And it's been humid and cold these first two weeks of hunting season, but the warmup is here. Back to normal September hunting this week. Thumbs up.

I used to wear merino wool and synthetics to sleep and it was actually worse. Especially if i wear wool longjohns. I woke up almost feeling sticky when wearing wool or synthetic tops etc.

Brendan

WKR
I used to wear merino wool and synthetics to sleep and it was actually worse. Especially if i wear wool longjohns. I woke up almost feeling sticky when wearing wool or synthetic tops etc.

I think you're confusing what's making it worse. Cotton and down are bad when wet or damp. Synthetic and wool maintain the ability to insulate. If you're still sweating and getting damp wearing wool / synthetic - you need to wear less, use a bag rated warmer, vent your current bag, etc.

Make sure you've read this if you haven't already:

Sitka Gear | Turning Clothing Into Gear

rayporter

WKR
I agree with the last few posts. it is not your tipi.

having fought that dragon for a while I will guess it is your pad. I used to get cold with a minus 30 bag at 25 degrees. we both got cold which was a surprise since Sam could sleep in freezing temps with his bare legs out in the open. it was our pads that were not doing their job. we added a closed cell pad to the top and cured our cold problems.

I carry a 1/4 inch pad for sitting and kneeling at the stove that doubles as extra under my bag. it goes everywhere and does wonders as long as temps are above single digits. try it a few times. any old closed cell that covers from you neck to your knees will tell you if that if the problem.

also I always air out my bag when the sun is out. it only takes 15 minutes of sun to dry a down bag from body sweat.

I use to have slightly similar issues as the OP. But for the most part it was my feet, they just sweat like crazy. I can literally wring out sweat from my socks. It took me years to figure out that I needed non-insulated boots in cold weather, rather than more insulation. But by far, the biggest thing has been a hot tent. I go through a routine every night that makes all the difference in the world. I take a baby-wipe shower while the stove is roaring, so that I am clean and dry. Since my feet are the first thing to get cold (and never warm up), I put on clean dry warm socks (I do use the same socks for several nights)and base layer, and slide into my bag while everything is warm. If I wake to pee (I carry slippers so my feet don't get cold), I stoke the stove and slide back into my bag. In the morning, I open my bag and turn the foot box to air it (leaving it in the tent. I am gone well before sun-up and not back till well after sunset, most days).

Granted, simply having a hot tent makes a huge difference in reducing or eliminating condensation, depending on how long it is burning at night. But it also insures that you go to bed dry, and your gear is dry, when you go to bed; something you are unable to ensure if you do not have heat, even if putting on fresh clothes to sleep in.

As has been suggested, proper gear for the conditions is also needed, ans as above, having an appropriate pad or combination is essential. Additionally, if you can get off the ground, it will make a big difference. There are plenty of ultra-light cots out now, but they do add weight and bulk; but they might be well worth trying.

OP
E

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to spend a night on the deck this week and see if I have the same issue. If not, it will point to the build up of humidity in the tent. My gf pointed out to me that I used it in a yurt a month ago and didnt have issues so we'll see.

Felix40

WKR
There should be little to no condensation inside your tent unless you set it up on wet grass etc. I bet you just arent getting enough airflow.

A good treated down bag will still be warm when its wet. I go to bed with soaked socks and pants all the time and use the heat inside the bag to dry my clothes overnight. When I wake up my quilt will be soaked on the outside from all that water being pushed out by body heat. Ive never had that cause me to get cold.

sndmn11

WKR
I dont think i can pitch the seek outside tents off the ground so may have to figure out some way to test it out.

You surely can with either of these. https://seekoutside.com/shelter-gatekeeper-straps-set-of-4/ https://seekoutside.com/lineloc2-extension-kit-set-of-10/

I would bet all I own on wet down not being the culprit, nor the shelter having any role. That bag is quite roomy and only has 17oz of down. Moisture on you evaporates and cools, and since this is inside your bag, you are unable to heat the excess space. I would look into a quality silk liner, and sleep as naked as possible. The R value of your pad may be lacking, you only mentioned the manufacturer and not the specific model.

I fashioned some stake loop extensions from 550 cord to get my SO shelters off the ground.

f4oA8LT.jpg

C6nyW2Y.jpg