Anyone ever use a "regular" hiking backpack?

OP
S

seww

WKR
Hunting packs are very expressive. However, it's a buy once, cry once. As soon as you strap one on and feel how comfortable.... $$ never cross your mind again. That's how good they are!!
I know this, but I don't like to cry at all... So I try and find the cheapest available option :)

OP
S

seww

WKR
First what is your budget? Second how tall are you? These questions will narrow down the search.

When I was looking for my first pack for elk hunting I would have loved to purchase a Kifaru or Stone Glacier etc. But I was gearing up for both my son and I so expenses on equipment was multiplied by 2.
After a lot of research and calls into Mystery Ranch I bought two MR Glaciers from their backpacking line. Why? Because after speaking with MR customer service they told me it was rated for 100lbs. This is about double the limit of most backpacking packs! The Glacier is about the same size as the Metcalf from the hunting lineup but IMO it has much better organization. So the only thing I gave up was a meat shelf and 50lbs carrying capacity. I added a Kifaru Grab it so I could carry some of my stuff between it and my pack bag if we were lucky enough to get one we would put the quarters in the bag. I trained with 75lbs and it handled it so well I am confident the 100lb rating is light. The only issue is if you have a long torso. I have a 21” torso and I would say that would really be the max. My son is 6’5 with a 23” torso so the load lifters are even with his shoulders. That limits the weight he can carry comfortably.

Just a little over a month ago I bought a 2019 MR Terraframe 50 and it has the meat shelf and is rated for 150 lbs. It carries even better than the Glacier and I can say first hand it will handle heavy weights easily having packed about a 120lb doe a few weeks ago out whole. I got it from Sierra.com for $229.00. I can get everything I would need for 3 days inside and if I wanted to stretch to a week I would put my sleeping bag in a dry sack and strap it on the bottom.

7e55be6561ca9a94e79178435d750d07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a shorty, only about 5'10" and around 180 lbs. Need to lose some weight though, haven't trained as much as I wanted to. Nothing compared to a few times a week.. :)
But with my SuperDay, I almost can't tighten the hip belt enough, because I'm too small. Really weird, what kind of big gutted boys is this made for??

Man, I might have to do some research and start scavenging the internet and eBay for a proper pack. Good thing I love backpacks, weird hobby maybe..

OP
S

seww

WKR
So what is your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I wouldn't want to spend more than $2-300. That I could justify. Sell my Gregory and add a bit for a better one.
I also need to buy other gear, for me and the family so. Gonna cost a pretty penny.

I think a regular backpack is fine until you have to pack weight/meat. A buddy and I hauled out a boned out spike elk in one trip several years ago. I had a hunting specific pack (actually a Badlands pack at that tome) and he had a regular backpack. We loaded up and headed to the pickup. At the truck, we switched packs. I couldn’t believe how uncomfortable his was and that he’d actually carried it that far. He couldn’t believe how comfortable mine was...and that he’d actually carried his at all :) He bought a hunting specific pack (Badlands Ox at the time) for his next hunt and never looked back.

hikenhunt

WKR
Maybe that's the major difference, they're built for maybe 75 lbs or such, while hunting backpacks are designed for heavier weights.
Comfortably handling weight is probably the biggest difference. Also now several of the hunting packs can separate the bag from the frame allowing additional capacity without needing an excessively larger bag size before you fill it with an animal. Bag layout is also going to be a difference but that's a personal preference thing and you can make it work.

With that budget, I would look at a new backpacking pack or used hunting pack. Just depends on what you want versus willing to give up.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I think a regular backpack is fine until you have to pack weight/meat. A buddy and I hauled out a boned out spike elk in one trip several years ago. I had a hunting specific pack (actually a Badlands pack at that tome) and he had a regular backpack. We loaded up and headed to the pickup. At the truck, we switched packs. I couldn’t believe how uncomfortable his was and that he’d actually carried it that far. He couldn’t believe how comfortable mine was...and that he’d actually carried his at all :) He bought a hunting specific pack (Badlands Ox at the time) for his next hunt and never looked back.
That's probably true.
Here in Sweden most hunters don't have the issue because we use fourwheelers or other machines (even snowmobiles before the snow) to haul the animals out. Usually moose. Small properties, short distances and lazy people :)

OP
S

seww

WKR
Comfortably handling weight is probably the biggest difference. Also now several of the hunting packs can separate the bag from the frame allowing additional capacity without needing an excessively larger bag size before you fill it with an animal. Bag layout is also going to be a difference but that's a personal preference thing and you can make it work.

With that budget, I would look at a new backpacking pack or used hunting pack. Just depends on what you want versus willing to give up.
Yeah the versatility of removing a bag and use the frame is very good! Pretty much all external backpacks are gone from over here, it's all internal frame and mostly for hiking. The hunting packs are smaller daypacks with rifle carriers.

Well I have a really good backpack, the Gregory Denali Pro, that I know will do what I want it to, might take a couple extra rounds of hiking with lighter loads, but if I'd get a proper hunting pack, I'd sell it.
Used is most likely the best way to.

I figure these top brands have nice warranties?
Badlands repairs or replace the backpack no matter where you bought it. Any other brand with same or similar policy?

Well, I wouldn't want to spend more than $2-300. That I could justify. Sell my Gregory and add a bit for a better one.
I also need to buy other gear, for me and the family so. Gonna cost a pretty penny.
This is about as good of a value you will find assuming it is the right size.

Also moosejaw.com is your friend as well as activejunky.com. Activejunky earns you cash back from sites like moosejaw.com. When I got my stuff two years ago for my son and myself between the cash back and a 30% in points earned from moosejaw I was able to get my big agnes sleeping bag and nemo sleep pad for free. Then significant savings overall I got about $2500.00 worth of stuff by using these sites and sierra.com for about $1600 by being patient and waiting for various sales. Earn points and then buy the rest of the order with points the next day or week.

OP
S

seww

WKR
This is about as good of a value you will find assuming it is the right size.

Also moosejaw.com is your friend as well as activejunky.com. Activejunky earns you cash back from sites like moosejaw.com. When I got my stuff two years ago for my son and myself between the cash back and a 30% in points earned from moosejaw I was able to get my big agnes sleeping bag and nemo sleep pad for free. Then significant savings overall I got about $2500.00 worth of stuff by using these sites and sierra.com for about $1600 by being patient and waiting for various sales. Earn points and then buy the rest of the order with points the next day or week.
Thanks!
50 liters though, will barely fit anything in that, usually use a 40 liter pack as daypack.

Thanks for your tip, I'll start utilizing that since I need lots of gear now when my son is growing older and bigger!

OP
S

seww

WKR
Many people in your shoes. I bought 8 lower end packs before my fist good pack. The money I WASTED on those 8..... I could have had my first kifaru and $$ left over!!!
This is also true.
But it's so hard to see that money leave the account! 😜

Thanks!
50 liters though, will barely fit anything in that, usually use a 40 liter pack as daypack.

Thanks for your tip, I'll start utilizing that since I need lots of gear now when my son is growing older and bigger!
I am able to load with nothing out side for a 3 -4 day trip. I am confident if I wanted to stretch it out to a week all I would have to do is put my sleeping bag in a dry sack and strap it on the bottom. Also my sleeping bag is a long wide synthetic fill and the nemo pad I am using is also a long wide that inflates to over 3 inches. Those two things take a lot of space. Between the two we are looking at roughly 5 pounds of equipment.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I am able to load with nothing out side for a 3 -4 day trip. I am confident if I wanted to stretch it out to a week all I would have to do is put my sleeping bag in a dry sack and strap it on the bottom. Also my sleeping bag is a long wide synthetic fill and the nemo pad I am using is also a long wide that inflates to over 3 inches. Those two things take a lot of space. Between the two we are looking at roughly 5 pounds of equipment.
That's crazy good!
But I do pack a lot of bulky stuff that I could go without, but don't want to.

Wrench

WKR
If you want a bomber pack for cheap, look for an older dana designs short bed, terraframe or similar. They pop up for cheap occasionally and are as good as any made today sans the modular options. Dana packs are great.

Hiking packs are my preferred pack right up to the point that I want my spotter or tripod out.....or blood just happened.

Many packs claim to handle the weight, which is true.....BUT, stuff a bone in quarter in a pack and it point loads one area so much that lightweight material can't handle it. You try to lash it up tight and turn the frame into a taco shell.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
You might contact cng.

OP
S

seww

WKR
You might contact cng.

Well, compare that to my Gregory Denali Pro, and I think I'm better off as I am :)
I'll most likely use what I have at the moment, and then upgrade when a good deal comes up.