Anyone from Virginia or West Virginia?

A get together for a hike sounds like a good idea. A chance to meet and check out packs also. Some guys mentioned playing with a compass as well and that could be fun. McAfee Knob, Kelly Knob, Dragon's Tooth, an easy trail around Pandapas Pond....lot's of options.
I will be at the PBS Odd Year Gathering in Baltimore the last weekend in March so I would miss that one but would try to make the next if you do it again.

weaver

WKR
A get together for a hike sounds like a good idea. A chance to meet and check out packs also. Some guys mentioned playing with a compass as well and that could be fun. McAfee Knob, Kelly Knob, Dragon's Tooth, an easy trail around Pandapas Pond....lot's of options.
I will be at the PBS Odd Year Gathering in Baltimore the last weekend in March so I would miss that one but would try to make the next if you do it again.
I'm from OH but I'd be down for a weekend hike down there sometime.
Been to dragons tooth a few times and mcafees knob as well. Beautiful area.

Finch

WKR
Tim, are you thinking a day hike or overnighter? I should be able to do a day hike either day that weekend. One day that weekend we're planning to celebrate my dad's birthday. Doesn't matter which day though.

Arrow forester-i believe from what I've read that you're pretty knowledgeable with maps and a compass. I need some help in that department.

I'd be glad to help. I may not be the best teacher but I know the basics and could get you navigating with map and compass. We could pick a less demanding hike location and do some off trail map and compass work to circle back to the start. I just have a prior commitment for March 27-29.

I could do Saturday, March 21 or a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in mid-April.

Jerry P

FNG
I'm from Maryland but I grew up hunting in WV. around Spruce Knob. I have a lot of family that live around Seneca Rocks.

SWVA_Tim

WKR
Finch, I was thinking day hike to start .... As far as locations think maybe AT somewhere angels rest, Kelly knob? If we gonna work on compass skills best if we can see dist landmarks to start. Whatcha all think ?

Finch

WKR
I'd be glad to help. I may not be the best teacher but I know the basics and could get you navigating with map and compass. We could pick a less demanding hike location and do some off trail map and compass work to circle back to the start. I just have a prior commitment for March 27-29.

I could do Saturday, March 21 or a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in mid-April.

March 21st should work. I'll message you in a few days to iron out the details.

ch, I was thinking day hike to start .... As far as locations think maybe AT somewhere angels rest, Kelly knob? If we gonna work on compass skills best if we can see dist landmarks to start. Whatcha all think ?

Honestly, had to look those areas up as I've never heard of them. Only part of the AT I've been on was the McAfee Knob section. I'm good with whatever though. Looks like that's about an 1.5 hr drive for me. Is that the most centrally located place for everyone?

I will play with the calendar to be sure the 21st is still open if that will work for everyone. Open views and long sight lines are not absolutely necessary but would be useful. Just about anywhere we go we can find that if we make it to a ridge top.

I'm flexible on location. Kelly Knob is closest to me and about 65 miles from Boones Mill and 25 miles from Blacksburg. McAfee Knob or Carvin's Cove sounds closest to Finch and would essentially be a run up 81 from Christiansburg. Pandapas/Poverty Creek would also be a good option and closer to Tim and DW but still an hour+ drive for Finch. If we pick one far enough ahead of time I will try and come up with some maps to play with.

Carvin's Cove may offer better off trail navigation hiking than McAfee Knob but I have not been to either myself.

Last edited:

SWVA_Tim

WKR
Can't do weekend of 20-21 .. Church fishing/camping trip planned ... I'm helping lead it....open for last weekend in March.... If 20-21 works for others go for it :)

Carvins cove prob be good central location

Finch just took your advice and picked up suunoto m3

We have not discussed that DW. I would think it wouldn't be too hard of an exercise hike if we wanted to spend time getting comfortable with the map and compass. We could do that though if you wanted to get a longer hike in.

I am good for the 21st or the first half of the 22nd. But don't plan it just on my schedule, you can go on the 27/28th if that is better for the majority. I will catch the next one if you want to try again the second half of April.

DWinVA

WKR
Good deal. I'm mainly interested in getting out for some hiking/packing exercise, meeting you guys and talking gear.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Anybody decide on the 21st or 28th? Which weekend will get better attendance? Anybody from outside the immediate area interested?

I would be in for the 21st.
Finch - the 21st or 28th?
SWVA_Tim - the 28th?
DWinVA - either?
Other people?
Other dates?

Too many bikes on the trails you think? Would not want to cause a crash.

I think we could do compass as well as a casual hike. As long as no one wants to go all out the whole way ity should work. The compass work could take us off trail also so it would be more "technical" than aerobic.

I am in for this Saturday if you guys want to. I can go to any location that works for you.

Finch

WKR
I'm good for Saturday too. I'm good with wherever. Carvins or Mcaffees or wherever. Guess we need to see who else is game before we pick a place? . DW?