Anyone Have Experience with Gunwerks Magnus Muzzleloader Rifle System?

SteveCNJ

WKR
I was on the Gunwerks site looking at their titanium action, carbon barrel muzzy's. They must be about $3k out the door. Does anyone have one and willing to share your thoughts? Wondering about the new sighting dial system they have also.

Pmiller45

FNG
I don’t have experience with that gun. Looks nice and I’m a sucker for a carbon barrel. What are you planning to hunt?

More and more folks putting these types of muzzys together. Depends if the name on the gun means anything to you or you just want a good killing tool. Those guns can be ridiculously accurate with a good build and optic, while following a detailed process for loading.

The revic sight is really nice making longer distance shots possible with practice. Eyesight is the limiting factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
No experience with the GunWerks muzzy. I think you could do better for less money with one of Luke’s rigs over at Arrowhead.
Whoa! Luke's are getting up there too. Haven't looked in a while but his Carbon Obsidian with an NX8 4-32 is $8800. Price without optic isn't listed but subtract the $2K ish optic and it'd still be up there around $6600 give or take. I'd still look into an Arrowhead.

Pmiller45

FNG
What states in particular? Genuinely curious..

New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona come to my mind when I think long range(300+) mainly due to scopes. The others (Idaho, MT, Co, NV) are limited in range in my opinion either by the projectile, ignition, or iron sights.

I’m aware of the no scope rule change in NM. I also remember Utah discussing options for changes but wasn’t aware of what was decided as it’s not a state I apply for.

It’s hard to keep up with all the changes these days unless it’s a hunt I’ve got targeted but I like to be in the loop.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
I don’t have experience with that gun. Looks nice and I’m a sucker for a carbon barrel. What are you planning to hunt?

More and more folks putting these types of muzzys together. Depends if the name on the gun means anything to you or you just want a good killing tool. Those guns can be ridiculously accurate with a good build and optic, while following a detailed process for loading.

The revic sight is really nice making longer distance shots possible with practice. Eyesight is the limiting factor.

It would be for hunting Elk and Mulies. I have a T/C Bone Collector with a scope that's really accurate with BH209 over Barnes sabots, but I'd rather not take the scope off of it and put on peep sites. I'd rather have a dedicated muzzy with no optic.

SDHNTR

WKR

New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona come to my mind when I think long range(300+) mainly due to scopes. The others (Idaho, MT, Co, NV) are limited in range in my opinion either by the projectile, ignition, or iron sights.

I’m aware of the no scope rule change in NM. I also remember Utah discussing options for changes but wasn’t aware of what was decided as it’s not a state I apply for.

It’s hard to keep up with all the changes these days unless it’s a hunt I’ve got targeted but I like to be in the loop.

Nm has already banned them. Utah tried and ran out of time for this year, but the writing is on the wall.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR

Thanks, I thought I read the no scope for NM is for the restricted muzzleloader season only. I'm 67 and physically can still hunt the high-altitude areas. Just trying to fit in as much as possible before i can't.

Whoa! Luke's are getting up there too. Haven't looked in a while but his Carbon Obsidian with an NX8 4-32 is $8800. Price without optic isn't listed but subtract the $2K ish optic and it'd still be up there around $6600 give or take. I'd still look into an Arrowhead.
Yeah looks they have gone up quite a bit too. Honestly with very few states allowing scopes on muzzleloaders, the ROI on a custom LR muzzleloader might not be great at those prices.

Pmiller45

FNG
For more budget friendly options you can buy the components and have a smith put it all together. Main components can be had for somewhere around just north of 2k I think. Mesa precision, Mack brothers have muzzy actions for less than 1k. Buy a bartlein or brux barrel for $400-600, trigger and bottom metal for a couple hundred. A stock, brake, and sight. You might be able to find a used one. There’s some already built ones available as well for less than Luke or Gunwerks are asking for theirs.

Gap

Mesa precision.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
For more budget friendly options you can buy the components and have a smith put it all together. Main components can be had for somewhere around just north of 2k I think. Mesa precision, Mack brothers have muzzy actions for less than 1k. Buy a bartlein or brux barrel for $400-600, trigger and bottom metal for a couple hundred. A stock, brake, and sight. You might be able to find a used one. There’s some already built ones available as well for less than Luke or Gunwerks are asking for theirs.

Gap

Mesa precision.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR

Gap

Mesa precision.

Wow, the Summit LR muzzy weighs 12 lbs. What a brick. For $4,500 they couldn't make it lighter?

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks, I thought I read the no scope for NM is for the restricted muzzleloader season only. I'm 67 and physically can still hunt the high-altitude areas. Just trying to fit in as much as possible before i can't.
You are correct about the scope, but even during the “regular” ML season you still have to use a gun where the powder charge and projectile are loaded from the muzzle. This rules out most of the “long range” muzzleloaders that use powder charge cartridges and bolt actions.

Pmiller45

FNG
Wow that’s never looked at the weight. That does seem heavy. I’ve owned a TC bone collector and 13 pounds compared to one of those would be a shock.

I think states getting rid of the scopes would be a good move. It would definitely save some animals and should increase quality over time. Also weeds out the guys in the draw the muzzy tag only to show up in camp the day before the hunt and uses the guides long range muzzy gun the next day to tip over a buck/bull at 450 or further.

For someone serious I think having a a dedicated gun that allows you to take advantage of some seasons outside of rifle and archery a nice gun makes sense.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, the Summit LR muzzy weighs 12 lbs. What a brick. For $4,500 they couldn't make it lighter?

One thing to note is that a lighter muzzleloader is not always better. Many of those will be used with smokeless powder or heavy BH209 loads pushing a 275gr bullet in the 2400 fps range. In a light rifle the recoil is going to be brutal, I know I don’t like shooting mine without the suppressor on it.

You are correct about the scope, but even during the “regular” ML season you still have to use a gun where the powder charge and projectile are loaded from the muzzle. This rules out most of the “long range” muzzleloaders that use powder charge cartridges and bolt actions.
Those all load powder and bullets from the muzzle and only have a primer holder in the action itself. The Traditions Firestick and the 1859 sharps are the only ones I know of that load the powder from the rear.

Pmiller45

FNG

Bolt action guns are loaded from the muzzle.

All New Mexico did was remove scopes, the gun is still capable of accurately shooting 500 yards with a revic. Capable being the most important word as ability and eyesight become the factor in determining if that’s actually ethical

SDHNTR

WKR
Bolt action guns are loaded from the muzzle.

All New Mexico did was remove scopes, the gun is still capable of accurately shooting 500 yards with a revic. Capable being the most important word as ability and eyesight become the factor in determining if that’s actually ethical

Ok, I thought I read something about the systems that use the primers in the brass cartridge thing that load from the bolt.