Anyone here own a 3rd Gen Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel?

SDHNTR

WKR
If someone has a 2005-6 dodge 2500 4 x 4 with Cummins diesel and auto transmission I have a favor to ask, if I may…

I lost the linkage between my 4x4 shifter lever and my transfer case. It’s apparently a common problem due to a cheesy design. There’s nothing more than a couple of rubber bushings holding the linkage in. Overtime the rubber deteriorates and the shifter rod part of the linkage just falls out. Reach down to shift into or out of four-wheel-drive and the lever just flops back-and-forth with no resistance and nothing attached. Anyhow… I’ve got the new linkage installed, but I don’t have it adjusted quite right apparently.

So if someone owns one of these trucks with a properly functioning manual transfer case shifter, Could you please crawl underneath your truck with a tape measure and measure the exact length of the transfer case linkage shifter rod that is protruding forward of the little square bracket that holds the nut and bolt that tightens onto the rod. How much of the rod is sticking out towards front of the truck? Should be somewhere about 2-3”, but apparently it’s pretty sensitive as to exactly where it is set.

I would be forever indebted!

Last edited:
I’ve got a 2nd gen, so I can’t help you out much but it looks like YouTube University has quite few videos on it.

2006 diesel 4x4.

Mine is right about 9 7/8” center of pin to center of pin. Might be a smidge toward 10” but not over. Was laying on my back in the rain.
It’s right near 3” from center of pin to the end of the rod.

Bent end of rod on the transfer case, sliding clamp end on the shifter.

Mine should be factory set. I’m not aware of ever having it been messed with. It shifts as it should.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
2006 diesel 4x4.

Mine is right about 9 7/8” center of pin to center of pin. Might be a smidge toward 10” but not over. Was laying on my back in the rain.
It’s right near 3” from center of pin to the end of the rod.

Bent end of rod on the transfer case, sliding clamp end on the shifter.

Mine should be factory set. I’m not aware of ever having it been messed with. It shifts as it should.
Fantanstic. Thank you very much my friend. This is exactly what I need. You are a gentleman.

A word to the wise for everyone. Keep a close eye on those rubber bushings. When they break apart, the linkage rod goes to the road gods. Not a good feeling to reach down to the shifter expecting that familiar feel shifting in and out of 4x4, only to feel nothing!