Anyone listen to Steve Rinella's interview with Rob Bishop?

topher89

WKR
I found it very telling that he used the word "portfolio" when speaking about public lands and his purview as the head of the committee.

ethan

WKR
I only listened to a little of it today, will finish it up tomorrow. But my impression so far is he’s just another arrogant, slimy basterd politician.

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
I’m already a member of BHA, but if I weren’t I certainly would have joined after listening to that podcast. Bishop is bad news!

elkduds

WKR
I’m already a member of BHA, but if I weren’t I certainly would have joined after listening to that podcast. Bishop is bad news!
Don't stop there. Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Project posted the rebuttal, READ THIS: Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership Responds to Steven Rinella’s Interview of Congressman Rob Bishop – MeatEater

TRCP is working as hard as BHA to fightl PLT.

I saw this link in OP, consider the repeat my added emphasis. Short read, right in the face of every Bishop squeak.

I applaud anyone who managed to get through the entire interview. I have a hard time listening to Bishop. Kudos to Meat Eater for putting Bishop on display.

Having grown up in Utah, I wonder how many people realize members of the LDS faith like Bishop believe the Earth will be "returned to it's paradisical glory" at a certain point in time. It's part of mormon doctrine. It's one of the unique things about Utah that helps explain the average Utah resident's ambivalent attitude towards federal land stewardship. "Oh, don't worry about those 4x4 tracks we left in the wilderness study area, it will all be returned to its paradisical glory." This is the type of thing you'll hear in church. Another unique factor is the way mormons like my great great great grandfather were chased by the feds for practicing polygamy, resulting in a deep cultural distrust of the feds.

Don't take this for mormon bashing. I grew up mormon and quite a few of my family are members of the church. It's a good moral code. When I visit my family in Ogden, I often attend church with them. But I do notice how even my brothers, who grew up backpacking with me in the Wasatch and Uintah mountains, just can't be bothered to push against local politicians. Trained to be loyal. Someone with a grip on science should be in charge of any land use committee.

Trial153

WKR
Something that needs to be taken away from this is a better understanding of what we are up against. Bishop made it very clear that from ideological stand point these lands need to be managed by the state regardless of practical considerationss.
We often make the agrument that federal management of public is better or rather has a better track record then state management of lands. It’s a logical argument except if your up against an ideologue who honestly belives that any state management is better then federal involvement because “ its the way it should be”. In his mind these lands belong to the state to manage or miss manage as they deem fit. The fact that he and his corhorts can garner favor through The quasi-ownership that they are trying to achieve is just icing on the cake.

We need to come to better understanding of the mindset that fuels the motivation behind this. If we don’t change and keep using the same tired arguemnts I fear we will lose to a stacked deck.

LandYacht

WKR
I listened to it twice. I didn’t get all of the hate that I read here the first time I listened to it, so I gave it another listen. I still don’t get all of the hate, and I am still have the same wretch inducing reaction that I had the first time I listened during their conversation about access.

I am sure the truth on the money issue is somewhere between Bishop and the special interest groups.

Overall a very good podcast and it gives a lot of great information and insight on how our public lands are being looked at by those in Congress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockchuck

WKR
I am from Utah and sure came away from the podcast reaffirmed in the fact that bishop is a slimy politician. He couldnt even answer a question directly, but just tried to deflect or answer a different question entirely. The funny/sad part is he was so smug in his answers and obviously feels he was controlling the narrative when all it really did was expose his as shifty and manipulative. He needs to be voted out, but I doubt it will happen here. Too many party line voters who dont really delve into the issues. This is coming from a mormon too by the way...

mtnkid85

WKR
Ill echo similar sentiments as those above me. I understand that Steve Rinella was trying to simply give Mr. Bishop a stage to speak on but I was nearly ready to start throwing things when he didn't challenge some of Mr. Bishops points. (The neglected back porch turning to wilderness!?) Lol!

I am also appreciative of the rebuttal from TRCP that was immediately posted to the conversation and I hope that gets turned into a podcast as well so more people are exposed to it.

I came away from the conversation with a better understanding of just what it is that we as sportsmen are up against.

twall13

WKR
This wasn't an "enjoyable" podcast to listen to, but I'm glad I did. I'm also glad the TRCP posted up their rebuttal along with the podcast. I hope the Meateater guys put out a follow up podcast on it as well since I'm not sure everyone who listens to the podcast even know about, much less had the opportunity to read the TRCP rebuttal. It was interesting to hear Bishop's side of the story, and part of me thinks he actually believes he is trying to do the right thing. I completely disagree with him, but I think he might actually believe he is trying to do what's best for "the public". As a side note, I am from Utah, I am a mormon, I am a real estate developer, and I am completely against the transfer of federally managed lands! II believe there is a greater value to our public lands than can be expressed with a dollar sign. I'm not in Bishop's district but it almost doesn't matter, my representatives have the same opinions on public lands. I hear it all the time in canned responses to my letters/emails.

I disagree with CrzyTrekker's thoughts on mormon's and our thoughts on the earth returning to it's paradisaical glory. Not saying that isn't a part of the mormon belief system, I just don't think it influences decisions about land conservation. It's also part of our belief system that God has made us Stewards of all his creations, and as such we are to take care of them. All that said, there definitely does seem to be something of an odd cultural difference where people just seem to think, "I'm doing okay right now so I guess the politicians in office must be doing alright at their jobs, I guess I'll just vote for them to stay there." At least I know I see that with a lot of people I talk to and in my mind it helps explain why so many of them have been in office for so long.

I disagree with CrzyTrekker's thoughts on mormon's and our thoughts on the earth returning to it's paradisaical glory. Not saying that isn't a part of the mormon belief system, I just don't think it influences decisions about land conservation.

Twall13 - I can agree that not all Mormons think that way. It's not fair to judge an individual base upon a stereotype. Appreciate your thoughts.

You do seems to agree with my general assessment of the culture, where folks are somewhat ambivalent about politics. Mormons are great - they have a sense of community that is or should be the envy of most people. But, with that comes a certain trust of the people in charge, and it's not always warranted.

Thanks

Having grown up in Utah, I wonder how many people realize members of the LDS faith like Bishop believe the Earth will be "returned to it's paradisical glory" at a certain point in time. It's part of mormon doctrine. It's one of the unique things about Utah that helps explain the average Utah resident's ambivalent attitude towards federal land stewardship. "Oh, don't worry about those 4x4 tracks we left in the wilderness study area, it will all be returned to its paradisical glory." This is the type of thing you'll hear in church.

Because when you see land disrespected and trash left everywhere it's usually empty fruit punch jugs and cookie wrappers from the Mormons instead of beer bottles and cans, right? this is the dumbest comment I've seen in a while. The real problem is we have guys like Bishop in charge who have no real life experiences in using these lands so they can't see the real value of them. The only thing they know is city and office life.

Jack,

I'll sidestep your ad hominem attack.

The underlying issue is incredibly important, so much so that I'd caution against being too PC about it. If an elected leader or committee member has an inherent bias (especially an inherent bias that may be anti-science) then guess what, we get to challenge it. It's how things work.

Regarding the percentage of people that have spent 30+ years doing DIY wilderness trips like a few of us, well . . . good luck finding one in congress. Like crying over spilt milk.

For those of you that couldn’t stomach the entire interview. It got worse towards the end. It became very clear that Bishop either hasn’t spent any time in wild lands, or if he did, he certainly didn’t take the time to truly appreciate wild lands for what they are. I can’t believe a guy like this is a chairman of any committee related to anything natural. Just a cringe worthy interview.

During the podcast, I couldn’t help but think Bishop would be okay with the entire mountain west looking like New York City with Yellowstone acting as central park. Because you know: “progress, jobs, and money.”

twall13

WKR
The part where Bishop talked about mineral extraction being a positive for hunting because it creates roads and opens up access to areas that didn't previously have them really bothered me... To me, that point really hammers home his view on public lands.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It is clear that an internal combustion engine is required for Bishop’s concept of “access.” It is also clear that “use” of public land is quantified monetarily to him. I am not sure which is more disturbing.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
So Meateater put out their next podcast and didn't address the Bishop podcast did they? Disappointing.