anyone pay attention to their resting heart rate?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When Micah True died on a run (ultra runner), there was a lot of concern amongst long distance runners. They did an autopsy and when released showed an underlying heart condition, a condition I'm guessing he didn't know about.

I do agree that aerobic exercise that falls more into the "mere mortal" range is probably a safer option for most; not that I would mind being on the podium at the UTMB........ :ROFLMAO:

KHNC

WKR
Well shit, guess im gonna die soon. Mine stays in the low to mid 60's typically. Im much higher than all of you. Probably have a stroke or heart attack this afternoon. Working out with cardio , strength 3 days a week and riding my MX bike on my track 1-2 days per week must not be doing me any good. Im 54 and it was nice know all you healthy gents. :oops:

twall13

WKR
Well shit, guess im gonna die soon. Mine stays in the low to mid 60's typically. Im much higher than all of you. Probably have a stroke or heart attack this afternoon. Working out with cardio , strength 3 days a week and riding my MX bike on my track 1-2 days per week must not be doing me any good. Im 54 and it was nice know all you healthy gents. :oops:
I was a little surprised to see so many low resting heart rates being posted on here, and I don't think that's the norm. Low to mid 60's is probably what most would consider a very healthy range. I know your response was a little tongue in cheek but it does highlight how many have abnormally low heart rates on here.

I think the thread topic naturally peaked the interest of those with lower heart rates, at least I know it did for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
I was a little surprised to see so many low resting heart rates being posted on here, and I don't think that's the norm. Low to mid 60's is probably what most would consider a very healthy range. I know your response was a little tongue in cheek but it does highlight how many have abnormally low heart rates on here.

I think the thread topic naturally peaked the interest of those with lower heart rates, at least I know it did for me.

It got me to google Zone 2 training anyway. lol

Garmin watch claims mine is usually in the mid-80's sitting on the couch or at the computer "working" and such. Lows at night are typically low 60's while sleeping. I'm a heavy caffeine user and I'm sure that contributes negatively. Couple times a year I'll be sitting around and it'll ramp up into the 110's for half an hour then drop back down, kinda freaks me out.

Garmin watch claims mine is usually in the mid-80's sitting on the couch or at the computer "working" and such. Lows at night are typically low 60's while sleeping. I'm a heavy caffeine user and I'm sure that contributes negatively. Couple times a year I'll be sitting around and it'll ramp up into the 110's for half an hour then drop back down, kinda freaks me out.
Wanted to add also, someone mentioned elevated HR when drinking alcohol. That's definitely true for me as well, mine will be 100-110 laying it bed trying to sleep if I've been drinking.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
RHR is taken immediately upon waking or during a true period of rest. Your average is not ypur RHR

WoodBow

WKR
I'm curious about the height and weight of you guys that have very low resting heart rates. All of the people I know personally, are smaller guys, but fit.

Mine only gets down to 60 when I'm sleeping. Occasionally, it will dip to 58 when sleeping. If I'm awake and not moving around, it's typically 75-80. When I was running 5-6 miles a day last summer, people would say that I was pushing too hard when they saw my average heart rate from runs. But I felt fine and not like I was pushing it. Just my comfortably uncomfortable working pace. I was usually averaging 180 bpm.

I'm 6 feet and 185 lbs. Not a big guy by any means, but above average. Only makes sense that the heart would have to work harder to move blood further. Abnormally tall people tend to die fairly young of heart failure. The guys that win the crossfit games always tend to be about 5' 8". There are some physics involved there for moving weight though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the height and weight of you guys that have very low resting heart rates. All of the people I know personally, are smaller guys, but fit.

Mine only gets down to 60 when I'm sleeping. Occasionally, it will dip to 58 when sleeping. If I'm awake and not moving around, it's typically 75-80. When I was running 5-6 miles a day last summer, people would say that I was pushing too hard when they saw my average heart rate from runs. But I felt fine and not like I was pushing it. Just my comfortably uncomfortable working pace. I was usually averaging 180 bpm.

I'm 6 feet and 185 lbs. Not a big guy by any means, but above average. Only makes sense that the heart would have to work harder to move blood further. Abnormally tall people tend to die fairly young of heart failure. The guys that win the crossfit games always tend to be about 5' 8". There are some physics involved there for moving weight though.

I'm not in the low range, run similar as you. For your statistical research though I'm 6' 205#, typically fluctuate between 200 and 210 depending on beer.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
5' 11" 180-ish

Speaking for myself, I think some is probably genetic, but I'm hiking (previously was running) 2000+ miles/year for the last 8-10 year. Lots and lots of Zone 2 stuff which is what builds the aerobic base. That has to have an impact on RHR.

twall13

WKR

I'm 6'1" and about 185 right now, usually closer to 180. Average resting heart rate over the last year is 45 bpm.

I think age probably plays a factor to some degree as well, though I agree genetics and cardio training make a big difference. I'm 40 for reference.

Last edited:
I'm 48 and could be described as a hobbits. I'm pretty close to morbidly obese by bmi standards, 5'5" 175lbs . I typically strength train 4 days a week . Between a brisk walk and elliptical training usually log 10-12 miles a day. My rhr is 44-48

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
My resting average has been 37-40 BPM for as long as I can remember. It always sets off the low limit alarm on the monitor when the nurse checks my BP/HR. I hope it's due to regular exercise. We did Ironman for several years along with sprint and olympic distance tri's. Haven't done a triathlon since COVID hit but still run some 10k, 1/2 marathons. I'm 58 now, 5'-7" 140lbs and I'm afraid to let up.

My avatar is a picture of my Dad. He lived to be 93 and was bulletproof. I hope I inherited some of that DNA.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider

I’m 6’2” weighing around 170-190 throughout the last decade. My highest max HR ever recorded with a chest monitor was only 185.

WoodBow

WKR
I’m 6’2” weighing around 170-190 throughout the last decade. My highest max HR ever recorded with a chest monitor was only 185.
I will add that im using a garmin watch and I didn't trust the data so I bought a chest strap for runs and it was the same. I routinely get to 190 doing any kind of a sprint workout. Double unders really get it up there.