Anyone tested a Burris XTR ll or lll?

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if there is a current Form or anyone else testing/eval of the Burris XTR models? Looking for one for a Trainer and it fits the budget.

RussDXT

WKR
I have one that used to be on my competition rifle. It dialed well but a pre season/ pre match re zero was always needed.

It now sits on a 22. I do not think they would do well. Mine is a xtr3 built in Colorado.

OP
R

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Wow..... these scopes are either terribly unreliable or they are so awesome everyone is hoarding the information

2five7

WKR
Wow..... these scopes are either terribly unreliable or they are so awesome everyone is hoarding the information
Unfortunately, not many are willing to tell their positive experiences with scopes that are not on the drop test approval list, at least that's what I've noticed lately.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The XTR II’s are ok. The ones I have seen and used would lose zero from drops, but otherwise were decent. Their main issue here as for why more aren’t interested, is that their reticles sucks for general hunting.

Tmac

WKR
I picked up a XTR II 3-15x50 on a close out deal, mostly to play with FFP and see how I liked it. It won’t get much LR use until I head SE into the Owyhee to play around next summer. My first reaction, it‘s big. May not go on the 6mm ARC I’d planned on, may end up on a heavy barreled 280 and get stretched out a bit in some box canyons on pesky white rocks.

Bumping this back up. These XTRs II’s can be had for $499

Form, when you say drops, how large of drops?

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 3-18x50 XTR III that behaves itself, passed the drop test, and has surprisingly decent glass. The reticle is too thin for my taste, and I don't love the turret. It's been sitting waiting to be sold for a while.

1st post here - today I was shooting some strings with my .223 topped with Burris XTRII.

I shot a couple of groups to confirm zero - No issues

At our shooting range we had 2" soft snow and I put a shooting matt down. I would describe the ground as soft. I dropped 1 drop each Left, right, top at about 12-14" - with a follow up shot after each drop. I would describe the impacts as not hard. No change of zero.

I then dropped on the left (maybe right) side 18-22" - Point of impact moved 2.2" left.
18 " drop right side and the impact was still 1.5" right of center .

Again this seemed pretty soft to me when dropped.

I dial .5 mills right. Next two impacts are .75" right... After a few more shots the scoped returned to zero.

No more drops performed.

has anyone see there scope return to zero after impacts and shooting? My guess is something bound up and reset?

Thanks

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
has anyone see there scope return to zero after impacts and shooting? My guess is something bound up and reset?

Thanks

Yes this can and does happen. Also, almost always the group shifts in the direction of the side it was dropped on- right side drop, zero shift to the right, etc.

@Formidilosus is it fair to say that if you drop a scope onto the elevation turret, you would expect it to shoot low? Or is this impact shift correlation only for windage shifts from side drops? Seems obvious that it would hold true for elevation as well, but I can't say I'm familiar with the workings of scope internals.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus is it fair to say that if you drop a scope onto the elevation turret, you would expect it to shoot low? Or is this impact shift correlation only for windage shifts from side drops? Seems obvious that it would hold true for elevation as well, but I can't say I'm familiar with the workings of scope internals.

Nope- high. In general what you see is: Drop on left side- impacts are left. Drop on right side- impacts are right. Drop on top- impacts are high.

1st post here - today I was shooting some strings with my .223 topped with Burris XTRII.

I shot a couple of groups to confirm zero - No issues

At our shooting range we had 2" soft snow and I put a shooting matt down. I would describe the ground as soft. I dropped 1 drop each Left, right, top at about 12-14" - with a follow up shot after each drop. I would describe the impacts as not hard. No change of zero.

I then dropped on the left (maybe right) side 18-22" - Point of impact moved 2.2" left.
18 " drop right side and the impact was still 1.5" right of center .

Again this seemed pretty soft to me when dropped.

I dial .5 mills right. Next two impacts are .75" right... After a few more shots the scoped returned to zero.

No more drops performed.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. What rings/bases do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. What rings/bases do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seekins precision rings, that mount to a rail on the rifle.

1705896148023.png

After rereading my post I think part of it is not clear. I "think" I dropped it on the left and it shifted 2.2" left. Next drop was on the right that shifted the impact right, but it was still 1.5" left of point of aim. I then dialed windage to correct the zero and found the impact the .75" to the right. (it had over corrected as the scope was returning to original zero)

Every point of impact was shifting back to the original zero after the left hand drop, and the scope eventually zeroed back at the original point of impact with the original windage dialed (5 ish rounds .223).

Also, I tried this with my other rifle that has one of the old chonky gen 1 vortex razor HD (5x20) and it was dropped the same and had no loss of zero (6 drops total 3 at 14", and 3 at about 24"). That one is mounted on seekins rings and mounts to a rail as well. Not a full test but is interesting especially since the XTRII shifted so easily.

Next weekend I want to test out the XTR3.

Last edited:

Hunterco321

FNG
Classified Approved
The new XTRIII glass is amazing. Fit and finish is excellent. I may look at the XTRIII Pro for another rifle.

I have a 2024 Burris Veracity PH 3-15x44 en route. So far, I’ve heard tracking and RTZ is generally good with Burris. I’m looking forward to testing it out but…I won’t be dropping it lol.

I got a chance to mount up and shoot the Burris XTRIII 5.5x30 that I have.
Rings were torqued down to 20 inch pounds.
Rifle is shooting .223

1st 6 shots out of the rifle looked very normal for this rifle so I zeroed .1mil right .1mil down after this group and started testing.
1709492367256.jpeg

I then dropped the rifle on the left side 18" on a doubled up rifle matt on gravel. Here is were things get interesting.
1709492467508.png

1st impact was ~7.5 inches left. Note: this was not a hard impact, it was definitely soft padding on semi firm ground. I dropped 18" on the right and the second impact was up above the first. Note: I am aiming at the right target and impact clear over by my zero group.

1709492596629.png

I stopped and dialed 2 mil to the right (not an exact zero) but I wanted to see what was going on. I shot 8 more rounds.
1709492710471.png
This group was much larger than would be normal for this gun like double or more bigger. I then dialed the turrets up and down left, right and reshot a group to get this:

1709492841071.png

This group is more in line with what I would expect. It was snowing hard, and there was mirage so no issues with this group.

I came home and rechecked torque settings on the Burris XTRIII and nothing was off. Just like the XTRII it does not like impacts.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I got a chance to mount up and shoot the Burris XTRIII 5.5x30 that I have.
Rings were torqued down to 20 inch pounds.
Rifle is shooting .223

1st 6 shots out of the rifle looked very normal for this rifle so I zeroed .1mil right .1mil down after this group and started testing.
View attachment 682012

I then dropped the rifle on the left side 18" on a doubled up rifle matt on gravel. Here is were things get interesting.
View attachment 682013

1st impact was ~7.5 inches left. Note: this was not a hard impact, it was definitely soft padding on semi firm ground. I dropped 18" on the right and the second impact was up above the first. Note: I am aiming at the right target and impact clear over by my zero group.

View attachment 682014

I stopped and dialed 2 mil to the right (not an exact zero) but I wanted to see what was going on. I shot 8 more rounds.
View attachment 682015
This group was much larger than would be normal for this gun like double or more bigger. I then dialed the turrets up and down left, right and reshot a group to get this:

View attachment 682016

This group is more in line with what I would expect. It was snowing hard, and there was mirage so no issues with this group.

I came home and rechecked torque settings on the Burris XTRIII and nothing was off. Just like the XTRII it does not like impacts.

Just as an FYI- Seekins rings (and likewise the Vortex versions) show issues with drops. Not saying that’s the issue, just that scopes relatively often lose zero from drops with them, yet don’t with other standard Pic rings.