Anyone use a torch to remove hair?

mi650

WKR
Heard about this years ago, but have never tried it. My concern has been leaving a funky taste from burning it off.

I've always used a wet rag, rinsed frequently, but it never gets it all off.

A quick search with the googler, and it seems to be fairly popular.

nomad14

FNG
I am going to try it this year, I have a family member that swears by it. You could also do the wet rag first then try and torch it so at least the meat will be a little damp and not dry.

hiker270

WKR
Yep have used a propane torch to eliminate hair for years. Have seen butcher shops in Wyoming use a torch also. Have not ever noticed any problems with burning it off. If you take your time you can eliminate most hair when skinning.

Lytro

WKR
I’ve always used a torch after skinning, and will even torch hair off after quartering out in the field. Every butcher shop I’ve ever been in does it. There’s no residual taste from doing it.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
OK, I'll be giving it a try on my next deer.

I cut from the inside out as much as possible, use a WY knife to make all the big cuts. I don't think I have a bad problem with hair, but never seem to get it all.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
Run it under an ice cold tap in your sink. Gets off all the hair and any leaves or small twigs. I’ve been doing it this way for 30 years. Then hang it to dry off for a day at 30–40 degrees.

When a slaughterhouse butchers a cow they hose the whole carcass down with water after it is skinned hanging upside down from its back leg. Then it’s halved and hanged in a cooler before it’s cut up. I’ve seen it done live in person.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
We torch and it never results in funny tasting or smelling meat. You’re just glancing over the hair with the flame.

cnelk

WKR
Been doing it for 50 years after my old man said it was my job when I was young.

It really works good in the later seasons as the deer/elk hair becomes hollow [for winter insulation].
The hair will really pop and fizzle away

Then I wipe the meat down with white vinegar as its a natural disinfectant

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My first thought was this thread was about body/back hair removal LOL. Guess i should have looked what forum this was in. SMH
Ha! You’re not the only one, I thought it was a reply to the manscaping thread😳

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Been doing it for 50 years after my old man said it was my job when I was young.

It really works good in the later seasons as the deer/elk hair becomes hollow [for winter insulation].
The hair will really pop and fizzle away

Then I wipe the meat down with white vinegar as its a natural disinfectant
Vinegar, huh? Full strength?

Another thing to use first is a clean horse curry comb. The round one. Saw that first in a butcher shop to clean off bone chips from the saw. I also use a small wisk broom. It gets things out of small crevases. Then use the propane torch as a final cleanup. Just a thought.

Agross

WKR
Every deer for as long as I can remember. Gut em, skin em, torch the stray hairs. I remember my dad letting me do it when I was a kid and now my boy likes doing it when it’s time.

Been using a propane torch to obliterate any remaining hairs on the meat for decades.
Simply wave back and forth quickly, does the job!