Anyone use Peleton or similar style bike?

We have a Schwinn AC Performance Carbon blue spin bike as well as a Garmin Neo Tacx 2T trainer. I am an avid cyclist, both road and mountain bike, so I use the Garmin trainer 100% of the time. My wife however uses the Schwinn 100% of the time.

It all depends on what your goals are as to what you get. If you just want a cardio workout and have automated instructions with zero desire to own or ride a real bike, it’s hard to argue against a Peloton or any spin bike for that matter. If you love riding outside but also want to not be hindered by inclement weather then a bike trainer like the Garmin Tacx or Wahoo smart trainers enable you to bring your bike indoors and still ride, all with automated and structured workouts just like the Peloton, but more advanced in my opinion.

I am working on switching the wife over to cycling and will get rid of the Schwinn. The ability to ride a real bike outdoors or indoors is more enjoyable and adds variety.

Last edited:

Scottyboy

WKR
We have a peloton and love it (when the workouts are over). It’s pretty incredible (to me at least) how much of a sweat/workout you can get in a quick 20-30min workout. Highly recommend.

As said above, to avoid the subscription to the peloton classes you can YT them, and we might do this at some point but as much use as we get out of it, we will just keep paying for the time being

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
If you already road bike and are fitted to your bike, then a Neo Tacx 2T is awesome. If you don't, I recommend going straight to a Peloton or something similar. If you love the Peloton and want to explore road biking, then you can go down that path later. Like most things, cycling can become addictive in a good way and very expensive.

Scotto

WKR
Another Zwift feature I didn't appreciate until just recently is the HoloReplay. If you have been away for a time, say for injury or travel, you can ride against your prior results on a given course. The "ghost rider" feature instantly gives you the visual feedback of where you stand in comparison to the past.

Old school Schwinn Spin bike. Cross train with a Precor 546i first gen elliptical and a set of Selectch dumbbells for resistance.

Those are great for maintaining up until the season as the weather turns here in Co. IMO and IME nothing beats feet on the ground hiking/running or straight up road or mountain biking as the base in the off season.

Beendare

WKR
I had a spin bike before the Peloton. I liked it but…..

The motivation aspect is much better with Peloton;
1) You have 3 levels to monitor- Speed, difficulty and total output- if you are cruising, it shows
2) You can see what others are doing in the same class
3) the Peloton instructors are excellent motivators pushing you

The Peloton is more like being part of a spin or exercise class with others. its great when you only have a short window to get a workout in, or pouring rain outside.
I prefer hiking or biking the hills outside But this Peloton fits a niche.
( edited for clarity)

Last edited:

HoytHntr4

WKR
We recently picked up a Schwinn IC4 on sale and love it so far. Definitely helps getting cardio exercises in during the winter easier. Still trying to find a favorite app or program for rides to use

Backyard

WKR
Bought a Bowflex C6, same as Schwinn IC4, over covid and pair it with the Fulgaz app. $12/ month. We use a tablet for a screen. Works pretty good. Lots of routes/rides to choose from with or without a trainer. I prefer to keep the volume off and listen to my own music. It gets used about 5-6 days a week by both of us.
We did get a plusher seat from Bowflex for the wife. 10 seconds to change it out, between the 2 makes it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would consider buying a bike and a trainer. Get the bike fitted by a pro. Having the right fit is so much better on your knees, plus you will have a bike to ride outdoors.
You realize these bikes are adjustable, right?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
We have the peloton that auto-adjusts the resistance depending on what the instructor is doing. Bike+ I think it's called? I ride it all the time though and really enjoy it. If anyone else uses one I'm RunninDogs on there

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
You realize these bikes are adjustable, right?

Yes, of course. Have you had a professional bike fit? It involves taking body measurements, analyzing flexibility, considering injuries, pronation/supination, video analysis, etc. It takes a couple hours and can be pretty important if a person with an injury history is going to be cycling consistently. Some people with chronic injuries need more than the 3 knobs on a peleton. Also, no inexperienced cyclist will adjust those knobs correctly.

We have a nordictrack s22i and it is a decent bike, much better than the standard peloton bike. That said, I don't like it because you can only use the IFit stuff. Had I known what I know now, I would have saved a bunch of money because we later picked up a Stages SB20. Way more than I ever would have bought but my wife got it for me for xmas. Thing is killer. I run it on Zwift but you can shift gears, has a freewheel, has brakes (for some apps they work) and rides like a real bike. A bit more money than a peloton, but I have seen them on sale for approx the same price. I have 3000+ "miles" on mine in two years. I still prefer outdoors on the MTB but this is a nice 2nd. We also do weekly "group" rides with buddies and conference while riding. FWIW, it can also be set up with MTB bars and shifters to mimic your real bike.

SB20.jpg

CWA360

FNG
Hey all question on workout bikes. Back in hs I dislocated my knee and tore basically everything but the artery so I don’t have much of a high gear anymore but also done have much issues with it. Earlier this week I was snowmobiling and when trying to get unstuck I twisted my knee in the snow and felt something pop and have been hobbling around all week with a kneecap that pops and moves with every step. Got into the doc and he said my knee joint was very loose and weak and need to get on a bike now if I want to avoid knee replacement surgery in the future. He recommended a proform specifically or anything of peleton style to make it more fun and likely to stick with it.

I’m looking at the proform studio pro 22 right now. Anyone have one of these or an ifit style bike and how they like it or any others I should look at?
The Peloton bikes are a good option for low impact exercise. I find I don't really get enough work done unless I'm in a "spin" type class though. I prefer the less popular stair stepper, usually you have to go to the gym for that though.

Be sure to mix in squats and lunges if you can!

SWOHTR

WKR
Yes, of course. Have you had a professional bike fit? It involves taking body measurements, analyzing flexibility, considering injuries, pronation/supination, video analysis, etc. It takes a couple hours and can be pretty important if a person with an injury history is going to be cycling consistently. Some people with chronic injuries need more than the 3 knobs on a peleton. Also, no inexperienced cyclist will adjust those knobs correctly.
All to sit on a bike and pedal?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think its necessary for a peloton. One can estimate and should. The thing about road biking is you do it for hours at a time. Add it up and small changes can make a big difference. A poor fitting bike can cause some serious orthopedic damage. Besides, a fit costs ~$200 maybe more now. That's nothing compared to $1000s for a bike, gear, and possible medical costs and time.

Last edited:

Aubs8

FNG
I really like our Schwinn IC4 as well...have had it for 2+ years...would buy again.

Mike

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
Peloton is money. Certainly worth it for cardio and saves your legs from hard impact running/hiking.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes I have. And it didn't do a damn thing except make my wallet lighter. I raced road and mtn bikes for years and had zero issues setting up my own bikes. I was disappointed with what I thought would be an improvement in fit. It was one of the worst things I've ever spent money on. To each their own.