Anyone used Kenton Custom Turrets?

Loper

WKR
Has anyone had a custom turret made by Kenton? What has been your experience? What are the pros and cons? Would you recommend them or get another custom turret from them?

I put one on an SWFA 3-15 for LR hunting. IME they are pretty much spot on to 450 yards or so. After that atmospheric conditions and other factors affect balistics enough that you need to run a ballistic program and count clicks.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Good to hear.

Was the turn around pretty quick?

Out of curiosity, what cartridge and grain weight were you using for your turret?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I use them on 3 - 7 mm mags, 300 win mag, 28 nosler, and 30 06. If the data you give them is good the dials work! Well made!!!!

That’s great to hear from a repeat buyer. Obviously, if the first wasn’t good you wouldn’t have bought it again.

Geewhiz

WKR
Guy I work with bought one for his nxs. I havent seen it but he is a real stickler for detail and he was pleased so thats got to say something.

2-Stix

WKR
I was just wondering all this. I have a NXS, coming off a CDS system that I love...any thoughts on Kenton vs Ballistix...same idea, wondering is one company is better than the other? Thanks.

SDHNTR

WKR
Guy I work with bought one for his nxs. I havent seen it but he is a real stickler for detail and he was pleased so thats got to say something.
That makes little sense. I don’t understand how anyone who is a stickler for details could be a proponent yardage turret.

Kenton is a fine company. I bought a couple of turrets from them a few years ago before I knew any better. Now, I think they are an unnecessary, and arguably detrimental, accessory to put on a rifle scope.

They have moved to the Nashville, TN area from LA. Fast turn, awesome quality. I also picked up a scope level. It's nice and small and matches my scope leveling kit levels spot on.

Get the right ballistic data and you will be happy. My sons shot elk last year with these turrets, 660 and 600 yard shots, 1 shot kills!!!!!!! I shot my elk at 550 and 505 yards using these turrets.

Geewhiz

WKR
That makes little sense. I don’t understand how anyone who is a stickler for details could be a proponent yardage turret.

Kenton is a fine company. I bought a couple of turrets from them a few years ago before I knew any better. Now, I think they are an unnecessary, and arguably detrimental, accessory to put on a rifle scope.
I understand what you are getting at and don't disagree. I suppose I am mainly speaking on behalf of the fit and finish and compatibility with the scope I mentioned.

As far as the cds system goes, he claims to be able to hit the 12 inch gong whenever he wants at 800. I've never been there to call his bluff so honestly don't care either way.

I set up for the area I primarily hunt in CO. I know the elevation and weather. They are accurate to the distances I shoot. When hunting in TN I don't dial. Hasn't failed me in 5 hunts in CO.

Nothing wrong with using the MOA or Mil settings on the stock turret, I just prefer the yardage.

Weldor

WKR
I used them on a Zeiss conquest, they worked fine and never had a issue. I think the turn around was about 3 weeks. would use them again for sure.I

I have one on my VX-2.

I like it. It works out to 500 yards pretty well on targets. I don't shoot past 400 on animals anyhow.

Macintosh

WKR
Makes perfect sense for hunting I think, for the hunter who will be more or less at similar elevation/temps, and will dial but wont shoot past 400-500, and is shooting deer or elk sized critters. At those ranges, assuming you use verified info to build it, it's a "never need to check" dope chart, just range it and spin to whatever range, done. no app, no consulting a table, etc. For the traveling hunter who isnt sure where they'll be, what elevation, etc and will use at longer range, probably doesnt make sense unless you can swap to a different label/turret. My guess is a wrap of white athletic tape on the elevation turret and a sharpie applied when you check dope on-location, would provide 100% of the functionality with far more versatility.

Last edited:
OP
L

Loper

WKR

Why do you think they are detrimental?

SDHNTR

WKR
Why do you think they are detrimental?
Because it’s cut for one set of environmental conditions. Conditions change. And one bullet/bc/velocity. Bullets go out of stock. Lots change. You give up all adaptability.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Because it’s cut for one set of environmental conditions. Conditions change. And one bullet/bc/velocity. Bullets go out of stock. Lots change. You give up all adaptability.

I follow you. Thanks for the additional context.

Custom turrets, cheat sheets, stickers, etc can be viable solutions if 1) you leave the RS realm, 2) you do you proper due diligence on your ballistics and 3) acknowledge their limitations.

Most people outside of the RS world hunt the same general area around the same time of year in around the same general temperatures in around the same general weather. That is where have any sort of "cheat sheet" method can work very well including the RS-loathed custom turret.

But on RS a custom turret and its user is to be ridiculed, taunted, demeaned, etc. But those that use a piece of masking tape with yardage around their turrets are to be praised due to their brilliance.

Reactions: BLJ