Anything new for 6.8 western ?

gerry35

WKR
This is a great thread. As a long time 270 WCF fan, this is the first "new" cartridge to get my attention in 0.277 cal.

I have a 1:8 270 WCF that I used last fall to shoot antelope/deer/elk using the 155gr Barnes LRX. Typical Barnes performance. Also have a load with the 150gr Badlands bullet but no game taken. I have not been able to find any Berger 170gr bullets.

I am going to purchase a 6.8 Western rifle. Leaning towards a Christensen Ridgeline right now. Mind is not totally made up.

Plan on getting some brass and dies first,. Do not have to be in any hurry as I have my fast twist 270 WCF already.
I've always thought there's room for 270 Win owners to get a 6.8 Western too and there's a bunch of us 270 fans that would do just that. Your fast twist 270 sounds sweet. The 6.8 Western should be able to get about 150 fps more speed. The CA Ridgeline could potentially be a really nice lightweight option.

I've always thought there's room for 270 Win owners to get a 6.8 Western too and there's a bunch of us 270 fans that would do just that. Your fast twist 270 sounds sweet. The 6.8 Western should be able to get about 150 fps more speed. The CA Ridgeline could potentially be a really nice lightweight option.

Exactly what I am thinking. 20" barrel, add the titanium suppressor and have at it.

wabash503

FNG
Plus that 150 fps is also on high bc 162+ grain bullets.

FYI: I am pushing the 150 and 155gr bullets to 3,000 with the plain 270 WCF and 23" barrel with Rel 26. The highest BC bullet I have seen is the 150gr Badlands at 0.710. Please let me know if there are any higher BC bullets out there.

I am not a LR hunter by any means. Absolute maximum velocity is not a priority for me from that standpoint.

wartak

FNG
Heard great things about the Seekins rifles Congratulations sounds like a beauty!
Every time a 6.8 western is purchased a 7prc fan cries🤣 I say that tongue in cheek of course.
Ordered a Seekins Havak Element today in 6.8 Western. On with the journey. Primaray bullet choice is going to be a 150gr Badlands SD with a G! BC of 0.710. Time to have fun.
Every time a 6.8 western is purchased a 7prc fan cries🤣 I say that tongue in cheek of course. Congrats on the rifle

wartak

FNG
21" Want a lightweight short barrel to add my Lane Titanium suppressor. PH2 has a 24" barrel, and is a full # heavier.
I'm a huge 24" barrel fan myself but I get why people go shorter. The extra pound never really bothered me. I always figured I could loose more weight than any of me equipment ever could 🤣 I'm sitting on an extra 25 lbs of body fat.

Well, going full on rifle nuts. Working on a custom too. Mack Bros Element action, Manners EH6A stock, proof research carbon barrel. Over a year out. This will have a 24" barrel.

Dies ordered, and brass will be stockpiled just in case. ADG states a 2025 Q1 production run. On the notify list.

I am a certified 0.277 fan!

wartak

FNG
There are only 2 types of people in this world.
Those who like .277
And those try hard to convince themselves they don't like .277
I like velocity which I my main reason for going with a 24" barrel. I feel like for a hunting rifle a break on a 277 cal is kind of 50/50 if it's necessary. But if your doing lots of shooting and spotting your shots its a must.

Do you have glass for it yet?

gerry35

WKR
Well, going full on rifle nuts. Working on a custom too. Mack Bros Element action, Manners EH6A stock, proof research carbon barrel. Over a year out. This will have a 24" barrel.

Dies ordered, and brass will be stockpiled just in case. ADG states a 2025 Q1 production run. On the notify list.

I am a certified 0.277 fan!
Wow two rifles, you got it bad! Both sound very nice, it's nice to have two different guns set up a bit different.

I have thought about a cheap left hand 20" Win XPR to go along with my 24"barreled Tikka. I wasn't a 277 fan but sure came to like that bore a lot in the last 10 years or so. Even more now that you can get heavy bullets for them. Does the same job I used to do with a 300 magnum but with a lot less recoil.

wartak

FNG
There is no way I am getting rid of my 270 WCF's. Just being a rifle nut in the 0.277 caliber.
I wouldn't, just add another to the collection. My experience has been that every firearm I ever sold I have later regretted it. And 270 winchester is no slouch. One of my all time favorites.
Here is to hoping Bergara adopts the 6.8 western cartridge. I really have fallen in love with their rifles high quality for only $900-1100 good enough quality that you could give it to your grand children some day.

I wouldn't, just add another to the collection. My experience has been that every firearm I ever sold I have later regretted it. And 270 winchester is no slouch. One of my all time favorites.
Here is to hoping Bergara adopts the 6.8 western cartridge. I really have fallen in love with their rifles high quality for only $900-1100 good enough quality that you could give it to your grand children some day.
Yes, a Bergara would be a solid addition.