Anything new for 6.8 western ?

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
So what do you get with adg or peterson you cant with say prepped and sorted Win brass? I like the premium brass and use it to save myself time in prep work but other than that I have always gotten good results with “normal” brass with the leg work if thought I needed it. It is not uncommon for somebody to say they wont use a cartridge unless can get lapua or adg for ex. I am at a loss when read stuff like that as being a handloader should know how to prep good brass if want it.

Lou

gerry35

WKR
This is new for those of us that shoot left handed. I rebarreled a Tikka but still may end up buying one of these.

I hope Tikka picks it up, they chamber the 270 WSM still so hopefully they jump on board.

gerry35

WKR
From Atlas (ADG):

"We do not currently offer 6.8 Western. However this caliber is toward the top of our potential new offerings consideration list. We appreciate the inquiries and request to help drive our R&D efforts.

Thanks for your interest in ADG!

Best regards Kevin | Sales"

Sounds quite promising so you may wish to contact them to get them to jump on board.

Gila

WKR
This is new for those of us that shoot left handed. I rebarreled a Tikka but still may end up buying one of these.

I hope Tikka picks it up, they chamber the 270 WSM still so hopefully they jump on board.
The 6.8 Western is a perfect marriage for a Tikka T3x action. The 270 WSM didn’t really go anywhere because there wasn’t much of an improvement over the 270 Win. Both of those 270 Tikka barrels have a 1:10” twist which is too slow to push the heavies. The XPR in 6.8 Western has the correct barrel twist of 1:8”.

IMG_0116.jpegI was able to help my little sister take her first elk last weekend using my 6.8 xbolt sr shooting the 155 LRX. I was very pleased with the bullet performance. It was typical barnes results - caliber sized entrance 1.5” exit at 400 yds. She double lunged it and it didnt go far. The load I used was 69.9g ramshot magnum at 2963 fps out of my 20” barrel. This is over barnes data, so work up slowly, but no pressure signs in my rifle. Sub 1/2” groups. Great elk round for the 6.8! Only available in component bullets for now I believe.

skip189

FNG
With the 155 lrx have you found seating depth to effect accuracy? I have tried staball 6.5, Magnum, and Superperfomance powders and haven't got an accurate load or good speeds. I have read these bullets sometimes like to be seated .100 off lands but I have tried .060 with nothing coming in under 1 Moa at 100. Gun shoots lights out with 175TGK just can't get a super accurate or good velocity with this 155LRX. It's an 18" barrel so not expecting blazing speeds. Speeds always seem to slower than others reported velocities with similar barrel lengths.

With the 155 lrx have you found seating depth to effect accuracy? I have tried staball 6.5, Magnum, and Superperfomance powders and haven't got an accurate load or good speeds. I have read these bullets sometimes like to be seated .100 off lands but I have tried .060 with nothing coming in under 1 Moa at 100. Gun shoots lights out with 175TGK just can't get a super accurate or good velocity with this 155LRX. It's an 18" barrel so not expecting blazing speeds. Speeds always seem to slower than others reported velocities with similar barrel lengths.
I had to go way above book to get good speeds and accuracy . I think Barnes has max around 65 grains of magnum, so you may need to work up and watch your brass. Id imagine 2850 even 2900 should be doable in an 18” w the 155. Mine is suppressed as well so that adds a tiny bit of fps. I didn’t mess w seating depth at all as I am very satisfied w my accuracy. I basically load all my 6.8 loads to just under mag length for the x bolt which puts my coal at 2.955” this has gotten me sub 1/2” groups using ramshot magnum with every bullet I have tried. 165 ablr, 145 eldx, 150 bulldozer. So, I havent had a need to mess with seating depth. But charge weight has created wildly different results in my rifle.

_Tyler_

FNG
Looks like Fierce changed their .5MOA to 1MOA guarantee for accuracy for the 6.8 Western due to quality/availability of factory ammo. Guessing they’re getting complaints about customers not being able to shoot .5MOA. Luckily, my Fierce Rival is shooting .5 with 175 Tipped Gamekings from Browning. That’s the only load I’ve tried so far. Interested in the Choice Ammo 155 LRX when they get restocked

R/T

FNG
Looks like Fierce changed their .5MOA to 1MOA guarantee for accuracy for the 6.8 Western due to quality/availability of factory ammo. Guessing they’re getting complaints about customers not being able to shoot .5MOA. Luckily, my Fierce Rival is shooting .5 with 175 Tipped Gamekings from Browning. That’s the only load I’ve tried so far. Interested in the Choice Ammo 155 LRX when they get restocked
Tyler, are you able to source the Browning LRPH ammunition right now? I am not finding any of that particular load. Not being a hand loader, im at a bit of a disadvantage. My XBolt Hells Canyon really likes that load, abd performs nearly as well with the Winchester Exp Big Game w/nosler ABLR 165s

_Tyler_

FNG
I had a box of 20 that I had purchased from a local gun store months ago. I haven’t looked recently. I tried to do a search online and came up empty.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Have not seen the browning 175tgk since fall. Win just did a run of 170 ballistic tips, at least it came across my FB feed

Lou

wartak

FNG
I just received this from my sales/marketing contact at adg

I wanted to send you an update on the status of 6.8WSTN.

Good news first. We are going to manufacture 6.8WSTN. Unfortunately, a date has not been set for our first full production run. It will most likely be Q1 of 2025 (schedules are subject to change). The list of dealers below are planned to receive product from this first production run if you want to call and see if they are taking pre-orders (we do not). This will be the quickest way to get your hands on ADG manufactured 6.8WSTN. PLACING A PRE-ORDER WITH ANY OF OUR DEALERS DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL RECEIVE PRODUCT FROM OUR FIRST RUN OF 6.8WSTN.

As the first full production date approaches, we will setup a 6.8WSTN waitlist on our website www.atlasdg.com/ . Once signed up, you will receive an email notification when 6.8WSTN is released on our website. This typically occurs ~3-4 months after product is shipped to our dealers. The calibers released on our website will be limited quantities, first-come, first-served.

Good luck and thanks for your interest in ADG!

wartak

FNG
Sorry i missed the list of vendors, here it is

Unknown Munitions
Blue Collar Reloading
Drifters Gear
Raven Rock Precision
Bighorn Sales Ltd (canada)
TC HR Consulting
Reloading International
J@A Outdoors

Gila

WKR
This list is timely!

I am on the waiting list for several. Thanks for the update!

wartak

FNG
It sounds like they will do a trial run and offer some for sale to select purchasers as soon as this summer. The lots will be limited with those who purchase the first batch being asked for feedback.. typical r&d before full scale production.
Any news in 6.8 western is big news. This however feels like a bit of a catalyst if it takes off.

Gila

WKR
It sounds like they will do a trial run and offer some for sale to select purchasers as soon as this summer. The lots will be limited with those who purchase the first batch being asked for feedback.. typical r&d before full scale production.
Any news in 6.8 western is big news. This however feels like a bit of a catalyst if it takes off.
From listening to the Shoot2hunt podcast, If I understand correctly, ADG has already done an experimental run. As most of you know UM is “intertwined” with RS and they are offering a notification list. RRP does not list 6.8 Western brass at all that I could find. J&A does list 6.8 Western ADG brass for sale when it arrives.

wartak

FNG
From listening to the Shoot2hunt podcast, If I understand correctly, ADG has already done an experimental run. As most of you know UM is “intertwined” with RS and they are offering a notification list. RRP does not list 6.8 Western brass at all that I could find. J&A does list 6.8 Western ADG brass for sale when it arrives.
All this is tantalizing for my poor brain. The thought of building a 170 barnes eol load with some good quality brass is rather exciting.
I really hope federal gets on the band wagon soon. I'd really like to see a 175 grain terminal ascent for 6.8 western. I just really like that bullet, had good luck with it in other calibers.