AR15 Upgrade priority for precision

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a given that a complete shooting system is required for optimum precision.
That having been acknowledged…..

If you had an average shooting AR15, and wanted to improve precision through incremental part replacement over time, what would your order of priority be?
Using the basic alphabetically arranged options list below as a starting point.
Other component suggestions are welcome.
Not just looking for biggest gain for money spent. ( But those observations are invited as well. ) Looking for which component swap will have the largest impact on precision.

How would you arrange this priority list? ( Assume current component isn’t complete garbage. )

• Barrel
• Bolt / BCG
• Buffer assembly
• Lower
• Optic
• Stock
• Trigger
• Upper

1• Barrel
4• Bolt / BCG
8• Buffer assembly
7• Lower
3• Optic
5• Stock
2• Trigger
6• Upper

Opinions will vary, but I numbered them lol importance to less important. Really after 3, they all could be 4's. Barrel, trigger, optics would be my most important 3. Interesting topic, thank you for it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Barrel, trigger, bolt, optic, rings, stock, in that order. I don’t know if I’d go crazy chasing precision in an AR but that’s how I would do it. I do enjoy a good shooting auto though

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
1. Barrel and bolt (should go hand in hand)
2. Trigger
3. Glass

Fun question. Before answering, I need to know more:

1. What level of precision are you after?
2. How well is the gun performing as-is?
3. Is it factory new, used with unknown history, or something you assembled at home?

Upgrading an AR isn’t hard, but I agree with the above post and start from scratch. If that’s not an option and you want to upgrade what you have, I’d start with a good trigger. Something like a LaRue. Next would be my barrel and then move onto an optic.

This all dependent on what you are after and how your rifle is or isn’t shooting now.

Eleven

FNG
If you are going to shoot with an optic that would be my #1. You cannot tell the improvement from the other upgrades or even if the other upgrades are needed, if you have an optic that won’t hold zero or bounces around.
I’ve chased accuracy in a bolt gun for months only to realize the scope was a junker.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Barrel and bolt
Optic
Trigger

Nothing else really matters that much on an AR, but ergonomics are important.

Plan out the entire build before you get started buying anything. It’s so easy to get tangled up in a convoluted build of mismatched parts if you don’t really plan it out.

OP
MEdude

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses and input. It is very much appreciated
I’ve never owned / shot an AR. A lifetime of bolt actions.
I’m trying to move out of the 1900’s….. Just a quarter century into the 2000’s
I haven’t purchased it yet, but have been offered a used one at a fairly reasonable price.

Fun question. Before answering, I need to know more:

1. What level of precision are you after?
2. How well is the gun performing as-is?
3. Is it factory new, used with unknown history, or something you assembled at home?

I’m told ≈ 2-3ish MOA.
Not looking for bug holes, competition, or long range, but I would be hoping to get to at least the 1ish MOA zone. (Not even sure what average / typical is…)
If I can’t get there in a reasonable fashion, then I guess AR’s may not be my cup of tea

You cannot tell the improvement from the other upgrades or even if the other upgrades are needed, if you have an optic that won’t hold zero

100% on board with this. No optic on it at the moment, but I have a stable starter / test optic to work with.
Would buy something appropriate for task once it shoots to acceptable level.

Plan out the entire build before you get started buying anything. It’s so easy to get tangled up in a convoluted build of mismatched parts if you don’t really plan it out.

This is kinda what I had in mind. I was thinking, a component here and there with a full path predetermined.
If at one, two, or three parts in I’m content, then done. If it takes getting to part #6 before I’m happy, then I’d just finish the original plan, take all the unwanted components, put them back together as the original, and liquidate an unwanted second AR (actually the original).

When you start to evaluate what you have, take note that AR's can be very particular to certain ammo for accuracy. Make sure you are selecting a bullet weight that is compatible with the twist rate of the barrel for starters. My 1 in 9 .223 will shoot about anything well in the mid 50's gr. but you get to 62 gr and above and the accuracy takes a hike. Just something to consider before you get started changing stuff.

My upgrades started optic, trigger, stock and at sub MOA didn't need to go any further for me.

Last edited:
OP
MEdude

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Hijacking my own thread / question here….
I have seen it said on more than one occasion that, “Shooting an AR is “different” than a bolt gun.” for precision.

What does this mean?
Are they referencing rapid fire sequences?
Or is there a broader technique difference, even in single fire operation?

Maybe this is a new thread topic?????

I my case, my AR is far shorter than any of my bolt guns. With shorter barrels come magnified errors in accuracy form unsteady rests. Think of how hard it would be to shoot a pistol at 400 yds. Most AR's aren't that short but a good portion come in under 20".

OP
MEdude

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
That makes good sense. Even shooting off a tripod or bipod could have a wider angular shift, with a shorter range of motion behind the gun if it is shorter.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve built a couple of ARs that are super accurate. I agree with others Barrel/bolt and trigger are top priority. I put together a 6mm ARC last year with an Aero Precision receiver set, Compass Lake bartlein barrel, JP enterprise bcg, trigger tech diamond trigger. On the bench at 100yards it’ll put 3 shots damn near in the same hole. It’s probably the most accurate rifle I own, including my bolt guns. I also put together a palmetto arms upper/lower, with ARP barrel and bolt, and Rise Armament trigger. It will hold its own with my bolt guns as far as grouping as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve built a couple of ARs that are super accurate. I agree with others Barrel/bolt and trigger are top priority. I put together a 6mm ARC last year with an Aero Precision receiver set, Compass Lake bartlein barrel, JP enterprise bcg, trigger tech diamond trigger. On the bench at 100yards it’ll put 3 shots damn near in the same hole. It’s probably the most accurate rifle I own, including my bolt guns. I also put together a palmetto arms upper/lower, with ARP barrel and bolt, and Rise Armament trigger. It will hold its own with my bolt guns as far as grouping as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not much of a rifleman, but own a pile of AR’s.

Is 100 yards even a fair comparison?

Buzby

WKR
1. Barrel
2. Ammo
Falls off pretty quick after that.

A good trigger helps a lot, but doesn’t necessarily make the rifle more accurate. Same for optics. Helps you shoot better, not the rifle.
Assuming you have a free float handguard? Adding weight can help you also.