Arca install on Barrett Fieldcraft?

I learned a bit of the hard way, why that gunsmith did it the way he did. After drilling into the stock to also add a rail to my nice custom Kimber Montana I found out that the Kimber Montana and probably other Kimber lightweight stocks don’t have the thickness on top to do what @B_Reynolds_AK did before getting to foam. The top thickness is probably only 1/16”.

Sadly it took me drilling both the pilot hole and the 1/4” hole for the T nut shank, a lot of head scratching and scheming, to realize that the “hack job” is actually probably a better way to do it and maintain some structure. At that point I decided it’s a bit beyond my abilities and before I f*** up my favorite rifle further - off to the gunsmith it goes.
Mines a 30-06 though so I wanted to make sure it stands up to the recoil and I don’t develop any further issues down the road, especially with locking it into a tripod.

Last edited:
I learned a bit of the hard way, why that gunsmith did it the way he did. After drilling into the stock to also add a rail to my nice custom Kimber Montana I found out that the Kimber Montana and probably other Kimber lightweight stocks don’t have the thickness on top to do what @B_Reynolds_AK did before getting to foam. The top thickness is probably only 1/16”.

Sadly it took me drilling both the pilot hole and the 1/4” hole for the T nut shank, a lot of head scratching and scheming, to realize that the “hack job” is actually probably a better way to do it and maintain some structure. At that point I decided it’s a bit beyond my abilities and before I f*** up my favorite rifle further - off to the gunsmith it goes.
Mines a 30-06 though so I wanted to make sure it stands up to the recoil and I don’t develop any further issues down the road, especially with locking it into a tripod.

Hopefully this helps anyone else looking to do the same.

I drill out all the foam down to the shell and add enough epoxy to secure any hardware, then drill and install once cured. No compression issues. I auger out some foam down the length of the barrel each way a tad for epoxy to flow into. Never had an issue with a Kimber or other carbon style. Just have another beer and keep going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drill out all the foam down to the shell and add enough epoxy to secure any hardware, then drill and install once cured. No compression issues. I auger out some foam down the length of the barrel each way a tad for epoxy to flow into. Never had an issue with a Kimber or other carbon style. Just have another beer and keep going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha, that makes sense and I thought about doing that (still am) but I think sending it to the builder of my gun is probably the better option with how much I spent ha.

What epoxy do you use for it? A type of JB weld or one of the bedding agents or…?

Gotcha, that makes sense and I thought about doing that (still am) but I think sending it to the builder of my gun is probably the better option with how much I spent ha.

What epoxy do you use for it? A type of JB weld or one of the bedding agents or…?
JB weld, Marine Tex grey, Devcon, or mixing your own filler (2 part liquid epoxy such as West System mixed with something like microbaloons, silica, or bits of fiberglass) all work.

If weight is a concern, mixing your own will save a few grams.

That looks great, and I'm considering doing the same thing on my Fieldcraft. Specifically which rail did you end up using?

Back