fixed 125 gr slicktrick vipertrick
450 gr arrow, 28 in draw, 68lbs
lodged in far side shoulder, elk down in 50

2023:
Bull
double lung, punched through far side shoulder
same setup
elk down in 30

Based on all these "successful" Scapula shots, I'm thinking that my last Scapula hit on the small bull with the 125 gr 2 blade Stinger, must have hit the spine of the Scapula - not necessarily center punching it because I did get one lung, which I don't think would have happened if I center punched the Scapula spine. With that arrow and bow system, given the short distance of 23 yards, it looks like most people are getting both lungs provided that the arrow path is appropriate for that outcome.......

Or maybe on that last, small bull, my arrow went through the scapula and then hit the spine?

This discussion is giving me some comfort in dropping from my 625 grain Abowyer set up to an Iron Will based arrow system weighing around 500 - 525 grains this year...along with a new bow I'm about to order...

Flatter trajectory will be greatly appreciated...but I am absolutely committed to a system that "should" give an exit wound even if hitting more than rib bone. Hopefully IW @ 500 - 525 does that. I might go to 550 grains, but am now leaning towards the lighter end of 500. (the difference between 500 and 550 is simply choosing Axis vs. FMJ's and adding a heavier steel collar vs. a light titanium collar...)

Of course it's a miss if you hit an elk in the should and most likely won't end well, but...

I shot this bull a few years ago at 60 yards. Hit him right in the middle of the wide part of the scapula. Blew a quarter sized hole thru the bone and the arrow was a full pass thru. He never knew what him him. Stumbled down the slope right towards me and dropped 20 feet in front of me. One of the quickest kills I have had. I actually hunted back thru the spot where we boned him out and the white scapula with the big hole was still laying right there :) I should have taken it home.

Was shooting 70lbs 28" draw
Slick trick fixed blade cut on contact razor tricks 125s.
Total arrow weight around 450

View attachment 674414
Love my RazorTricks. Thankfully I bought enough of them to last me a lifetime. I haven't found a broadhead yet that flies as well as these do out of my D350.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Love my RazorTricks. Thankfully I bought enough of them to last me a lifetime. I haven't found a broadhead yet that flies as well as these do out of my D350.

Me too! I bought about 40 when they stopped making them. I have since switched to a hybrid gravedigger, but still have the RazorTricks for states that don't allow mechanicals.