Archery Release

G'Day! So first post in this section I did some looking and I'm sure I just didn't dig far enough back but here is my situation.
I shot bows for year, primarily recurves, for over a decade. Quite for a few years and recently about 5 years ago picked it back up.
I was given a call and asked to join a private IBEP Class as the guy who was organizing was 1 person short. Borrowed a bow and 10 days later had passed the test. I picked up the cheapest release I could find because I'd never used a release before. I took a antlerless moose 2 years ago (2017) with my bow here in the Alaska Interior and had an opportunity on another this last year (2019) but couldn't get in a spot to take the shot. I switched from the cheap wrist release to a Tru-Fire Edge 4 a year ago. I am in the process of trying to get that warrantied because after taking it to the Pro-Shop here in town they said that the spring is not in proper placement to allow for full adjust-ability on the trigger. It either has a ton of play or the calipers are open enough that it releases arrow mid draw.
I originally switched to a thumb/handheld release because talking to a few people I was developing target panic shooting out beyond 30 yards and I was told that would help. If for some reason Feradyne doesn't warranty this release what is my next best option? I do have $130 in Cabela's points now but not sure where to go depending on what the outcome to the warranty is.
Thanks for listening to my rambling and thanks for any recommendations or advice.

Beendare

WKR
It sure is an advantage to try these before buying....as some won't feel right and one will be perfect.

Its true, index finger releases will eventually create punching or TP problems.

I would recommend the Carter or Scott line as top quality........the individual model is tougher to guess which you will like.

___

Marble

WKR
If you have some target panic you need to learn a hinge. My suggestion would be to follow John Dudleys school of Nock on youtube.

As far as releases that are hinges there are a ton. I shoot a Tru Ball HBC, GOAT and my wife shoots the HT. Each has click and are adjustable. If you have a shop that can let you hold the releases in your hand then that will give you an idea of what you like.

If you learn to shoot the hinge correctly and perfect it between now and right before hunting season, it will help with the target panic and the trigger.

For me, I switch to the Goat for hunting. I cam shoot it just like a hinge or command shoot it if needed while hunting.

Ebay has great deals on hinges if you are patient.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had target panic for years and the release isn't the problem, the archer is the problem. Now, you will need to learn another release to retrain your brian, but you can ( and I have) punch any style release. Learning a hinge style release will help, but will not cure it. Another option is a resistance activated release like a Stan or Carter.

Also, I recommend checking out shot IQ /Ironmind from Joel turner along with John Dudley.

Good luck

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
The best place to buy and try releases is archerytalk. I would also suggest a hinge to start. Once you master a hinge you will be able to shoot any thumb release correctly. I'll also second John Dudley as the guy to watch. I'm a fan of Carter thumbs and Scott hinges but Stan makes great ones also. Carter Target 3, wise choice, just b cuz have all shot well for me. I went back to a hinge for simplicity, no trigger to worry about so nothing to punch, just pull. Good luck, it's fun trading releases to find "The one"!

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to add that 2 books really helped me get over tp. Bernie's book "archery for idiots" and Larry wises "core archery". Bernie is a blow hard but I read that book cover to cover 10-15 times and just bit my tongue through his crap and it helped me see my problems. If you want either send me a pm with your address and I'll send them.

There's no best option for releases to cure target panic. I've got an index release I use occasionally, along with a thumb trigger and a hinge that I use a lot more. I can punch the trigger on all 3 without much effort. Target panic is a head thing, not a hardware thing. You've got to fix the problem where it lies or you end up chasing your tale in circles.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Hey guys thanks for the advice. I’m at work now but will look into all this a bit more this evening after I hit the gym.

To clarify, I know that the release won’t fix the problem, it was recommended to me to try the thumb because it would help me change. I think my biggest issue has been lax of strength for sustained shooting and then lack of shooting.
I will definitely look at the hinges, never looked at that and I definitely think I need to get over the mental hurdles.
Thanks again and I’ll check out these ideas. Tru-Fire approves the warranty claim today so I’ll be sending the Edge 4 off and see what happens.
Keep it coming guys. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
A hinge can fix your problem. It fixed my problem and many people I personally know. I tried 3 different hinge style releases before I found the Tru Ball Sweet Spot Pro. Its a little pricey, but It has all the features that I needed and fixed all of my target panic issues.

TruBall_Sweet_Spot_Pro_large.jpg needed