Arc'Teryx Mattock Drysock LT...Anybody Try it?

Ironman8

WKR
http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2013/05/06/mattock-drysock-socks-for-when-the-suck-finds-you/

Wondering if this would be a good solution for the Goretex boots out there? I was thinking something like a Lowa LL boot for breathability, and possibly using this sock when the weather turns wet. Maybe the best of both worlds?

We all know that GTX linings do one or both things: break down and start leaking and/or make your feet sweat like hell!

My thought is that you won't be using these for 100% of the mileage you put on your boots as opposed to a GTX liner that is permanent with the boot. With the reduced mileage, it may save on wear and tear of the membrane and possibly work much better over the long haul. Then, when the weather permits, you just wear the boot without the sock for better breathability.

Anybody use these? Does this sound like it would work?

Last edited:
OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Just realized I didn't put this in the Footwear forum. Please move if necessary.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
100 views and no comments?

Maybe nobody has used them?

Does this even look like it COULD work to y'all?

duchntr

WKR
Sure they look like they'd work fine.. If they leak I have no doubt Arcteryx would warranty them no questions asked... I wouldn't use em..

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Look like a taller version of the rocky gore tex socks, with the dead bird pricing I'm sure they're a lot more expensive though. Gore tex socks work great. I use them if my boots get soaked-new dry socks and away you go.

colonel00

WKR
They are cool but I struggle with whether they are $140 cool. I also have some of the gore tex socks, maybe the Rocky ones, and I have used them at times. For me, they are a necessity when it the inevitable wet in Alaska but I haven't found the need when hunting deer or elk.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys. They're definitely expensive, but they look like a different design than the Rocky socks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Rocky's look like they replace your socks...whereas these go over your socks. Yes?

And yeah the price is why I don't already have a pair. But with the holiday pricing, it softens the blow a little. I've got some leather lined Lowa Renegades on the way that I'm going to test for breathability. If they test well, then I'll try to pair some of these DrySocks with them for wet weather.