Are there any “cool” sun or boonie hats out there?

Got a screening for skin cancer and I’ve got some early warning signs so I’m looking for a better hat to wear in the sun. Saw the Sitka sun hat but I don’t want a camo one. My wife says I dress like a dad and the traditional boonie hat would be the icing on the cake. Is there anything cool and hip out there?

For reference here is a picture of me in my normal clothesIMG_0392.jpeg

Last edited:
Some of the more fashionable beach/watersport brands make cool-ish straw hats. However judging by your reference photo It may just make you look like a farmer.

-Billabong straw hat
-Costa Straw hat
-simms cutbank
-Favorite Cowboy hat

If you really wanna be "cool" get a supreme boonie hat

P Carter

WKR
Make sure to go into the pool with a hat and sunglasses.

Maybe transition lens prescription glasses.

(I do both of these…sometimes just have to embrace the dad!)

Edit: I often do the sun hoodie thing, which seems to work.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Ok, maybe my look isn't cool, but it's a whole lot better than showing up at work looking like a tomato and then peeling skin for two weeks.

20230429_162249.jpg

This one came from Tractor Supply. Last one came from the women's section at Walmart.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Cheap straw cowboy hat was always my go to when I was working on rooftops in AZ. Lightweight, breath well, and easily replaced when ruined.

I never cared about what someone might consider "cool"

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
708388A4-8D94-4D73-91E7-DE0C1F4E7052.jpg
These guys are out of MO. I got an Aussie with a 3” brim a couple years ago. 50 SPF on their hats. They have some boonies too.
Slangvel boonies is a maker in IL on Facebook is a vet and I’ve seen some that aren’t camo.

woods89

WKR
I'm a contractor, and spend a lot of time in the sun every summer. These look like a really good hat for me to try!

Fatcamp

WKR
I have both OR and North Face wide brim hats. The brim is too weak and in heavy wind they flap around. Hate it.

Mt Al

WKR
If you want to go full-on dad look, check out the Simms bucket hat. So disgusting it's beautiful. Nothing says "I have no fashion sense" like a bucket hat.

I bought the Simms Boonie Fishing Hat and like it.