Arrow explosion

Ryan28

FNG
My boss, who also hunts and uses a bow, bought me some gold tip 500 spine arrows for xmas (cuz thats what he uses with his 45lb draw and swears by). I shoot cx maxima hunters 350 spine, with a 70lb draw. My question is, if use these and try em out, is my 70lb draw gonna absolutely blow these thinner wall arrows to shreds?

There's only one way to find out for sure, but I personally wouldn't try it. At 70# draw weight, recommended minimum spine is around 350, possibly stiffer depending on arrow length and point weight. In addition to being underspined, the grains per inch on the 500's might be so low that you'd have trouble getting total arrow weight up to the bow manufacturer's recommended minimum (typically 5 grains per pound of draw weight).

there is a video online somewhere from an ATA show where they have arrows in a machine that bends them to show the strength of differing models. It's pretty trippy how much they bend before snapping. However, google arrow splintering accidents and one look at carbon shards through your hand will make any go up in spine and flex their arrows more often before shooting....

The arrow isn't going to blow up, I don't think, never a guarantee that an appropriate spine arrow won't. If they don't come in at 350 grains total it could blow your bow up. I don't see any reason in trying them, you will be severely underspined and your going to be chasing your tail trying to get them to tune. Also you are increasing the likelihood of damaging them on impact from a higher poundage bow, which then increases the chance of them coming apart at launch later.

I'd move them along like everyone else has said. Or wait til your boss runs out of arrows and give them back.