Arrow movement after contact

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to see if other people have had something similar. Shot an antelope on Friday. I'm shooting a 415 grain arrow with a kudu point. 35 yard shot, after pulling the trigger my arrow goes flying up almost straight towards the sky after entering the antelope. See him run a little bit and stop. Pretty good shot on the entrance but the exit hole was up near his backstrap. Could never find the antelope after he ran. My guess is the broadhead must have just nicked a rib causing it to turn and go up. Worst direction I think it could go. Pretty bummed as it would've been my first antelope.

I have heard (but no actual experience on my part) that Kudu tips sometimes bend on impact. There are a few reports on here saying the same thing. But not sure if that would cause the deflection. Sorry you lost the goat. Arrows can and do crazy things once they hit flesh and bone. Nothing you can do sometimes.

MattB

WKR
Bummer to hear. Could you have perhaps hit high and glanced up off the spine? I don't think a rib would cause a deflection of that nature.

wapitibob

WKR
I shot an antelope with a 25-06 and dropped him instantly, he then started to get up so I shot him again. 1st shot was a perfect red dot behind the shoulder. When I skinned him, the first bullet hit a rib, deflected down and followed the rib, across the brisket, and up the other side. What was left of the bullet was under the hide at the end of the bullets path, which was a groove in the flesh under the hide circling half the antelope.

Marble

WKR
I would imagine it's a combination of the shot impacting slightly higher than you thought and deflecting off of the spine.