Arrow sizes

BowTrout

Lil-Rokslider
What diameter arrows is everyone shooting? I’m looking at 204 or 246 and not sure what the advantages and disadvantages there are between these two. What experiences do y’all have?

I shoot the Day Six arrows. They are skinnier than the Easton axis. Not sure on the diameter, but small.

A thinner shaft can be easier to tune in my experience, but not required. I like the Day Six because they have the thickest walls of any arrow I've seen and are very durable. As trad archers we sometimes miss and durability is important to me.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to this stuff, so don’t take this as Gospel. I have been shooting a compound a little longer though as well. I put a lot of internet research and read all the bro-science I could on the topic. I ended up with .245/.246 for compound and recurve. I ran across a post by Tim Gillingham in which someone had asked him about arrow diameters. He basically said up until something like 50 yards, there is no accuracy difference or wind bucking advantage to any particular diameter. I think he recommended the smaller diameters once you get over 60 yards.

Other than that, the other factor to me was the component systems. I think the .204 HITs seem to have a good reputation, but the .166 half outs and other components get a lot of mixed reviews. Seems you need to spend a good bit once you go to skinny arrows to make sure you have tough enough and high enough quality components. With .246 arrows the way the components protect the carbon at the front and overall have tons of contact and support on more surface area means a more effortlessly consistent and tough insert setup.

I think at Trad distances, it matters even less.

I like the super simple tough components you can get in .246/.245 arrows. And I don’t think the arrow dynamics hurt you at recurve distances.

Advantages of standard diameter arrows (6.5mm/.244.246" inside diameter) are that they're widely available, relatively inexpensive, and their inserts are simple, strong, and easy to install. Medium diameter arrows (6mm/.224-.234" ID) have similar benefits but aren't as readily available (only Black Eagle and Easton offer them as far as I know).

Standard and medium diameter arrows use strong, simple inserts that sit entirely inside the arrow except for a small lip/flange that covers the front end of the shaft. The entire broadhead/field point shank (both the threaded and unthreaded portions) sits inside these inserts and thus inside the arrow shaft, which makes for a very strong front end to the arrow. These inserts are also very easy to install because the flange serves as a depth stop...just apply adhesive and shove them in until you hit the front end of the shaft.

When you go smaller than medium diameter, inserts get more complicated and expensive and can become a significant weak point in the arrow. For small diameter arrows (5mm/.204" ID) you have three insert choices:
  1. Hidden insert (often abbreviated as "HIT")
  2. Half-out (often mistakenly called an outsert)
  3. Flanged Deep Six insert (rarely used and few folks know these exist)
I personally avoid all types of half-outs because they're inherently weaker than the other two options. A half-out keeps the threaded portion of the head/point shank inside the arrow shaft, but the unthreaded portion extends out in front of the shaft. That extra length sticking out in front of the shaft amplifies the pressure exerted on the front end of the arrow when you hit something at an angle and is more likely to bend or break. A HIT is a flange-less insert that sits fully inside the shaft and keeps the entire head/point shank inside the shaft. HIT's are slightly trickier to install and require the use of a specific tool to get the depth correct, but they're inherently stronger than a half-out. Option 3 is a scaled down version of a standard diameter flanged insert with "Deep Six" (6-40) threads instead of typical 8-32 threads. These are simple and strong inserts, but you have to use heads/points with Deep Six threads. Very few manufacturers offer Deep Six heads (Iron Will, QAD, maybe a few others) so your options are very limited.

You didn't ask about micro diameter arrows (4mm/.166" ID), so I won't go down that rabbit hole...suffice it to say the insert conundrum gets even worse.

The advantage (in theory) of a smaller diameter arrow is reduced wind drift due to the arrow's reduced surface area. However, IMO the wind's effect on the shooter's ability to aim is far more impactful than the wind's effect on the arrow in flight (especially at trad distances).

I shoot the Day Six arrows. They are skinnier than the Easton axis. Not sure on the diameter, but small.

A thinner shaft can be easier to tune in my experience, but not required. I like the Day Six because they have the thickest walls of any arrow I've seen and are very durable. As trad archers we sometimes miss and durability is important to me.
Day Six's original arrows (HD models) are 4mm/.166". They just recently introduced a 5mm/.204" line named XD.

ozyclint

WKR
5mm AXIS for me. Brass HIT inserts, then an aluminum footing on the outside that is between 2.5"-3.5" long. 2020 fits over 400 spine and 2018 fits over 340.
Makes them bombproof.

dan33

FNG
I'm starting to play around with the ethics post and sleeves on a .204 diameter arrow. I haven't hit anything hard with them (still in the tuning phase) but my dad has beat them up pretty bad and they haven't separated or broke the shaft

246 for the last 25 years on carbons. When I shot woodies I loved double barreled tapers. They hit with a different thwack or a thud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I use .204s on three different bows (Easton axis or the legacy). I use heavy HIT inserts (brass or steel) and a Ti or Steel outer sleeve. I'm pretty heavily invested in 125gr broadheads so I choose to increase the front weight with those instead of heavy field points/ broadheads.

Beendare

WKR
I agree with @Mighty Mouse.
I shot the skinny shafts for a few years when I was getting them for free- and I still didn’t like them for many reasons. Edit> Outserts that wobble and make it harder to get your arrows perfect are a PITA and frankly the weakness in that shaft size.

I shot the axis shaft for decades good shaft, solid system with the Hit inserts if you assemble correctly and square the shafts on a jig….. but those are getting very expensive.

Now I shoot the standard 6.5 mm Accmos shafts (9gpi+) , $35/doz and find those are better than the ones Easton is putting out right now. The finish on the eastons changed a few years ago- not as durable.

Last edited:

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot .204's
Just the vanilla victory RIP's. I get a dozen for practice and a dozen for hunting. Honestly, most of the .003's can be cut to as good as the .001's. I just use the stainless inserts that come with it. I don't hot melt them. I actually use epoxy.
With so many configurations and possibilities with arrows and components and different manufactures making the stuff , it's like going to Baskin Robbins and picking your ice cream and toppings.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
Food for thought.

I feel that bigger diameter arrow aligns a bit better with the center of my recurve.