Aspens in SW CO Around October 1?

hoot504

FNG
IMG_7888 Medium.jpeg

Here's a shot of the San Juan last October 5th. Not a great shot but gives an idea. The Aspens were probably just shy of peak color.

Last edited:
I have seen great colors into mid October in Ouray. I have also seen next to nothing left on 10/1, just depends on the timing of extreme cold and wet/windy storms.

giabbit6

FNG
I’ll be looking forward to doing the Alpine Loop the next time I am out that way. Hopefully it’ll line up with the fall colors!

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Cinnamon pass is going to be easier than engineer pass. Both are doable but engineer pass has some pretty narrow blind corners depending on your comfort level.

There is A LOT of traffic on the alpine loop, so starting early is a nice way to avoid some of the traffic.
Yes, they are. You can take a full size truck from Rico to Durango but not Silverton to Lake City. Your 4Runner should be fine for that one as long as you don’t take a really technical trail.
I saw an excursion going over cinnamon pass and a 3/4 ton dodge pickup on engineer pass last July so the 4Runner should be fine 🤣

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. Wife and I might be making a trip out to southwest Colorado around the first of October. Roughly around Gunnison down to San Juan NF. Will aspens in those areas still be holding their leaves? Scenery should be real pretty still?

Thanks in advance.
I am taking my wife this year as well. Plan to fly to Gunnison and go to Crested Butte and then Ouray/Telluride. Probably will arrive Sept 28. Should be just about right for timing based on what I've researched.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
I am taking my wife this year as well. Plan to fly to Gunnison and go to Crested Butte and then Ouray/Telluride. Probably will arrive Sept 28. Should be just about right for timing based on what I've researched.
We're planning on arriving in the area on the 28th as well, see you there! :cool:

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Cinnamon pass is going to be easier than engineer pass. Both are doable but engineer pass has some pretty narrow blind corners depending on your comfort level.

There is A LOT of traffic on the alpine loop, so starting early is a nice way to avoid some of the traffic.

I saw an excursion going over cinnamon pass and a 3/4 ton dodge pickup on engineer pass last July so the 4Runner should be fine 🤣
I'm not very familiar with the area....is there a link to which roads/trails comprise the Cinnamon Pass route?

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
We're planning on arriving in the area on the 28th as well, see you there! :cool:
I have always flown into Grand Junction for my hunting trips and planned on flying there for this trip as well. I checked air fares and it is actually a little cheaper to fly to Gunnison for us so that's where we are going. It will save a little driving too.

Montrose is typically one of the better airports to fly into on the Western Slope, it is the only SouthWest option.

That should be prime time. This was middle of Oct near Ouray and anything on a windy face was bare, but the protected canyons were bright yellow still.
IMG_9297.JPG

Lot of variables from year to year that can change and differ, I have however heard people say that September 30th is a reliable date to find the leaves still up on the aspens and not fallen yet.