Awesome Venison Burgers

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
My best friend and hunting buddy shared this with me, and I couldn't believe how good it is. I don't have exact amounts, but I can give decent estimates. The last batch I made was 1lb 10oz of ground venison with no added fat. Here's what I added:
2 or 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
5 strips thick bacon run through food processor (about 3 strips per lb)
2 tblsp dill pickle relish
1 to 2 tsp yellow mustard
1 or 2 tsp onion powder (to taste)
1 or 2 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste (I use Tony's)
So, I just mix it up by hand, let sit in the fridge for an hour or two, form into large thick patties, and grill at wide open heat (around 600) for 4 minutes a side. They turn out juicy and delicious every time. I have another friend that adds grated cheeses to his and swears by it. I prefer my cheese on top, but there's endless ways you could make it your own, but don't skip the pickle relish! Everybody I've served these to agrees that it makes the dish. Hope you enjoy as much as I have
Edit: the patties are a bit prone to sticking on the first side. I remedy this by spraying some canola oil on the grate right before dropping them on the grill.

Last edited:
My best friend and hunting buddy shared this with me, and I couldn't believe how good it is. I don't have exact amounts, but I can give decent estimates. The last batch I made was 1lb 10oz of ground venison with no added fat. Here's what I added:
So, I just mix it up by hand, let sit in the fridge for an hour or two, form into large thick patties, and grill at wide open heat (around 600) for 4 minutes a side. They turn out juicy and delicious every time. I have another friend that adds grated cheeses to his and swears by it. I prefer my cheese on top, but there's endless ways you could make it your own, but don't skip the pickle relish! Everybody I've served these to agrees that it makes the dish. Hope you enjoy as much as I have
Love it! Thanks for sharing.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the pickle relish mixed throughout, I'll have to try this. Just can't go wrong with pickles!

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the pickle relish mixed throughout, I'll have to try this. Just can't go wrong with pickles!
The pickle relish and the worcestershire really make it. One thing I forgot to mention is that the patties are a bit prone to sticking to the grill grate. I usually spray a little canola oil (the aerosol stuff) on my grill right before I drop the patties on. The bacon grease will keep it from sticking after you flip.

I recently borrowed a trick from the Meat Church YouTube guy and have been adding half a packet of onion soup mix to my burger before forming the patties.

Give it a try!

LostArra

WKR
Edit: the patties are a bit prone to sticking on the first side. I remedy this by spraying some canola oil on the grate right before dropping them on the grill.
I made these tonight with some diced jalapenos. They were terrific.
Thanks for the recipe. 👍

Read1t48

WKR
I’ll try the recipe. Sounds great!

Little trick for lean burger…

We add an egg to 2lb batch after thawed. More protein and holds the burger together. Can’t taste it.

Once the patties are hand formed, we place in the freezer on parchment paper or non stock cookie sheet to slightly freeze. They hold together excellent on any grill.

We add an egg to 2lb batch after thawed. More protein and holds the burger together. Can’t taste it.

Once the patties are hand formed, we place in the freezer on parchment paper or non stock cookie sheet to slightly freeze. They hold together excellent on any grill.
This is what I was taught !

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider

This makes perfect sense to me, I'll definitely give the egg trick a try. The freezing seems like a good idea as well. I've never had issues with these coming apart unless they stick, but it might help combat breakage if they do stick a bit.

rclouse79

WKR
Sounds delicious, I will have to give that one a try.
I was impressed with adding Jimmy Deans spicy sausage and chopped jalapenos to ground deer with no fat added. I cooked them on the treager with a thermometer and never flipped them. They were deemed to be very good by multiple people.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds delicious, I will have to give that one a try.
I was impressed with adding Jimmy Deans spicy sausage and chopped jalapenos to ground deer with no fat added. I cooked them on the treager with a thermometer and never flipped them. They were deemed to be very good by multiple people.
You absolutely can cook these on a pellet grill/smoker at high heat. I did cook some on my pit boss early on in the experimental phase for this recipe. They were good, just not quite as charred as I prefer.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
you lost me at dill pickle, but I will try this recipe without the dill pickle stuff lol
The dill relish and the worcestershire are what make it so good! But everybody's tastes are different. It'll probably still be good without it. Might be able to chop up some pickled jalapeño as a substitute if you like that better. In fact, I think I'm going to try that next time lol

Agross

WKR
Speaking of Worcestershire sauce , I recommend W sauce. They have regular and spicy. We really like em. Pickled jalapeños sounds like a great idea. I’ll have to give this a try.