Back from the Brooks: Success

handwerk

WKR
What a great looking animal, I too am hoping for the rest of the story...and the brooks, what great country, I can't wait to be back... congrats to you!

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Way to go Doc! But we need more of the story and photos - when you get a chance. That is a good looking double broomer!

I will tenth it...or eleventh it...or whatever the count is now...I would love to hear more too!

That is a stud of a ram, congrats on making it happen. The Brooks are gorgeous country. Were you in eastern or western brooks?

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
I bet 'doc' is typing up a heckuva story! I've got a fresh bag of popcorn ready to go.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Great ram and some beautiful country.
Going back to work! Lol. You will be daydreaming about this adventure for quite some time!!

Nice job!!!

OP
docdb

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
Guys (and Gals),
I am just starting to unwind after the hunt in the Brooks. I had a wonderful time. As always, I come away from one of these guided hunts with enormous respect for those of you that can do it on your own. This is my 5th Dall sheep hunt, and I've harvested 4 rams, and I think it's time I bow out (while I'm ahead)! I started with my Alaska dreams in college. My room mate and I were pre-med, and as the months and years progressed, we dreamed of someday hunting the wilds of Alaska. My first chance came with a random invitation in 1999 to join a group from my church to go up to Prince of Wales Island and hunt blackies and fish for silvers. We stayed in Klowack and when I got my bear, we headed over to the sealer in Craig (Skip Warren). Skip's son Bobby came by while I was there with a goat hide for his Dad. I was soon to learn that Bobby was and assistant guide for Johnnie Laird (Muskeg Excursions). This set me on fire for goat hunting (a cheaper/wetter version of sheep hunting). I went in 2003 to the Misty Fjords and killed my first goat, and have since harvested two more with Bobby. My thoughts turned to Dall sheep after that first goat. When I believed I could scrape the money together, I called Cabelas and not being mountain tough, I went with a horseback hunt with Mike McCann. I got a nice double broomer in 2005. I came home hooked and made the decision: 1)to go back; 2) to fund the return with the sale of some of my gun arsenal; 3) to be in better shape when I went back. I did a lot of research and ended up next with Stan Steven's in the McKenzie Mountains in the NWT. I had a great time and got a nice ram. I spent the rest of the "sale of gun collection" money on a hunt in the Yukon with Jim Fink at Blackstone outfitters. I didn't get one that year (though I got a nice grizz), and they had me back for another try in 2012 which was successful. Somewhere along the line I decided I wanted to try it one last time. My first love is backpacking and I wanted a strictly backpack hunt (no horses and no airplanes, ok except to get to the field). I found just such and outfitter through several interviews and the hunt was on. Unfortunately, some rotator cuff surgery intervened, and I put it off to this year. I'll have to say, I think I saved the best (hardest) to last.
Now, the next part is a little ticklish. You see, I got the idea that all involved would be happier if the information I transmit on the internet was very vague (names changed to protect the innocent, etc), regarding locations, directions, GPS coordinates, logistics and the like. Well suffice it to say, the location was the Eastern Brooks, and once landing, sighting in rifles and suiting up, we backpacked several days through and across a river valley before starting hunting. We did see another group of hunters (resident and relatives....brothers I believe), and I've since been contacted by them and we've exchanged stories, that could only be guessed at in the field. There was also another group that landed and hunted and I have no information on them. I personally never saw either of these groups of hunters. We had excellent weather for the most part with rain playing very little role, no snow....my nose got sunburned. My knee started hating life on the way in, and this was a new wrinkle that more or less aggravated the movement, but didn't slow me down much. On the 12th, from out tents, we spotted several rams, the last of which was the one in the photos. We had to suit up for the climb in the shadow of our tipis as the ram had the vantage point on us. Once done, we had to wait til he was looking the other way, and run to the base of the mountain, where we were shielded. I followed the guide and assistant up a slide (the most perilous so far). It seemed like hours of climbing ensued, but it was probably only three until I was prone looking at a nice ram at 420 yards laying down, chewing cud. Just enough wind to worry the grass a little, not freezing cold. The plan was to wait until he stood and then take the shot. The time came 1.5 hours later. I had the Swarovski 3.5-18X44 with BT all dialed in. The Swaro Ranging binocs, gave me an angle adjusted yardage of 407yds, so I set the BT at 400yds. I fired the Hill Country Rifles .260Rem custom once, sending a 139gr Lapua Scenar into his chest. The reaction was explosive, death was instantaneous. We were all sure it was a spine shot. It took an hour to cover the ground to the sheep. There had been no dramatic fall to damage the horns! My hunt was over. We field dressed and harvested meat and horns and cape. Guides commented that they had never seen as much bloodied meat (off shoulder). I've never used this bullet before, but I had to agree, it was a mess, with fragments found under the hide on the off shoulder. They got the meat and horns in packs and I loaded up with eveyones gear, and down we went. We all chose our own way down. The guide walked every step, the assistant did the rock slide. I, on the other hand, took about 2000 feet on my rear (cheers to the RailRider pants), sliding nicely when there was grass. We spent the rest of the trip trying to get the other hunter on sheep, and few were spotted, but no connections were made. I spent a lot of my time in my Mountain Laurel Designs Cuben Duo-mid, and it was super light and comfy. A crazy creek seat finished the backcountry comfort package. I was worried about keeping a down sleeping bag dry, and this turned out to be no trouble. I had several movies on my ipod and batterys to recharge the thing. This was not necessary as I was too beat most of the time to do anything but sleep. I saw no bears or wolves and maybe twenty caribou.
It was a lot of fun and several lifetime friends were made. A great trophy will soon grace my "Man Cave" to remind me of the great state of Alaska and the hard work it takes to make it there. I tried my best to leave no trace of my presence in that wilderness, so that some of you will have the wonderful chance to see this country as it is. I will say that compared to 2005 (my first visit) and now, I got the distinct impression that the sheep population ain't what it used to be, and that the sheep hunting pressure is increased in the Brooks.
I will try to add in some pics to make things more interesting, as time goes on.
Don

OP
docdb

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
The longer broomed side was 36" and it was 10 or 11 years old