Backcountry Bear Baiting

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
Tomorrow I'll make some sweet feed "Bear Crack" I might set up a second bait site with beaver butts in a burlap sac. And bacon grease molasses sack.

CWA360

FNG
This will be my first time ever baiting for bears and I’ll be doing it in Central Idaho.

I’ll be backpacking in a barrel and the bait, probably .5 to 1.5 miles depending on where I feel is best.

Do you guys think a 55 gallon barrel is too big to get back that deep ? If so, what size are you guys running ?

I have read that most people prefer tree stands, but am leaning towards a ground blind and further away sits. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a stand ?

Really any advice for newbies would be nice as well, I have no mentorship in this area and am learning as I go via the internet.
55 gallon barrel would be ROUGH to get in that far, especially with any elevation gain. It'll get you in shape for the hunt though! Is a quad an option???

OP
IDMuleyKid
55 gallon barrel would be ROUGH to get in that far, especially with any elevation gain. It'll get you in shape for the hunt though! Is a quad an option???
No quad, I’m the just poor, young and willing to suffer lol.

I’ll definitely have to mess with a framed pack to get it to fit and then hiking through brush uphill will be an experience.

I packed a 55 gal drum on a modified flat bed wheel barrow about a half mile up a nice hiking trail & than packed it up drainage another 300 yds off the stream. I was 40 and it wasn't the easiest thing to do but was manageable. I set up bait in the bottom of the drainage and had a couple vantage points marked out that I could sit depending on wind direction. I ran bait for two and a half months and spent probably $300 on the whole operation. I had two bears come in total and they never showed up during legal shooting light. The time stamps on my trail cam from when bears would show was legit 2-4 minutes after legal shooting light and always about 30 minutes before legal light in the am. My 4 &5 year old kids helped me and they had a blast making bear crack suckers & Kool aid popcorn & waiting for video clips of big black nears scratching on the barrel. I much prefer spot and stalk but I will be baiting again this year because both my kids want to hunt bears and they want to run bait again. I would consider running a hybrid program of baiting with some spot and stalk mixed in for more day light opportunities. I wound up shooting a bear that same year on a spot and stalk hunt after getting frustrated with baiting.