Backpack Training - Adding Weight/Miles Question

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I've been backpacking 4 miles x 3-4 times a week w/ 25lb pack; Not sore after it, little winded on hills. Is increasing 5lb & 1 miles a month too much, too little, about right?

Goal is 10 miles w/ 50 lb Pack by fall.

Thanks for your help!

hunting1

WKR
We are a GoRuck club and do a lot of rucking. I think your plan is sound. My only advice is wear good foot wear as you get heavier. You will notice going from 25-35 lbs when the miles get higher. We have been doing weekly Bataan training with 40-lbs and I start feeling it around 8-9 miles. Have fun!

I have been rucking my entire adult life and I have never added weight that wasn’t needed. Carrying a pack on your back adds enough stress as it is. Personally, I hike, training or hunting with the same gear I’d actually be using. Just my thoughts though……

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In regards to the miles I'd consider adding one longer hike per week, I think keeping the others at 4-5 are fine. You want to build your base up and keeping most of the hikes at a lower exertion level and 3-5 miles at a relatively easy pace will do that. One longer hike, slowly progressing the length.

I'll very often carry a pack throughout the year, weight varies on wether it's a backpacking trip or a long day hike (probably 10-30 ish lbs depending). I don't get too serious about heavier weight until about 8 weeks out. It's a slow progression (starting at 30-ish lbs and finishing at 60-ish) and I only do it twice a week, but still will hike without a pack 3-5 miles, 3-4 times a week (building/maintaining the base).

The key is building the base, slowly progressing the longer hike and slowly adding weight to your pack. Recovery is a component that a lot of folks don't figure, make sure it's included. Strength training twice a week (large compound lifts) will help your effort as well.

If you put in consistent hiking 3-4 times a week and progressing slowly, until hunting season you'll have no trouble by then with 50 lbs and 10 miles :D

In the past, I have been able to increase distance and pack weight without too much trouble...if it is flat. For me, the key variable is the elevation gain. So, I would factor that into your plan. My guess is you won't be hiking a railroad grade in the Fall. It is worth finding the steepest trail and use that as a monthly check-in to find out where your fitness is really at.