Backpack training or running for weight loss

Jaguigui

FNG
Hey everyone,

Quick question. Every time I'm about to go workout I'm conflicted about throwing my pack on and hitting the treadmill or running to try and shed some lbs. I had arthroscopic surgery last July for a torn meniscus so running is slowly coming back into my physical therapy program. Walking with a backpack on the treadmill doesn't feel painful for my knee, but training wise, I feel like I could burn more lbs by running. Thoughts?
Yes I know a shitty diet won't help. I'm working on that too, but from a workout standpoint, what's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks!

For me it makes more sense to train with a pack on. I feel that I can get the same workout walking with a pack on at 15 min/mile pace as I can running.

However, I'll throw a long slow run once a week to break up the monotony and work on mental strength because I hate running.

Mix it up is my vote. Doing just one thing is boring. I'd also opt for weight training. Getting stronger and building muscle will burn more fat and compliment the running and pack work. I like all the above. Stairs, hill sprints, tire flips and drags, carrying 100+ lb rocks up big sand piles is a killer. It's all fun.

twall13

WKR
Walking with a pack, especially if you add some incline to the treadmill, will burn just as many calories as running. Do what works for you. I personally hate treadmills so i'd opt for either option outdoors but that's just me.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being one with knee issues,save those babies and use treadmill with incline and interval it you will burn plenty of calories and or throw in the stairmaster...if too easy grab the pack for either.

twall13

WKR
Bicycling is also a good option if you have a bum knee.
I agree, as a part of an exercise regimine. Cycling by itself only works a select set of muscles so i'd want more than just cycling even if your goal is weight loss.

I run 4-5 days a week but as the trails get a little more navigable around my place I'll throw in some pack training a few days a week. To maximize fat burning when running, I do it early in the morning before I eat. Really the best way to train for hunting in the mountains is, you guessed it, hiking in the mountains.

wl704

FNG
8pm. I'm just doing hills tonight with the backpack on as I have limited time.

But mixing it up, I think is right...slower distance, wind sprints, obstacles/high stepping...at the end of the day is gonna be a mix.

Variety is the spice of life, and the spice of weight loss. Run if you can without pain. Pack train on a bench or incline treadmill. Bike. Strength train. Swim.

Simple repetitive motion is what causes chronic injury. The more diversity you have in your workout regimen the better off you are.

JP100

WKR
as mentioned mixing it up is great, dont want to get bored. walking with a pack will burn alot of energy.

the Bike and the pool are you best friends for injuries and recovery, make use of them if you can as a low impact way to burn energy and build strength. Dont want to end up with a re occurring injury

Stid2677

WKR
as mentioned mixing it up is great, dont want to get bored. walking with a pack will burn alot of energy.

the Bike and the pool are you best friends for injuries and recovery, make use of them if you can as a low impact way to burn energy and build strength. Dont want to end up with a re occurring injury

The above is what I do,,,, I also bought a Kinetic trainer for my bike so I can pedal on rainy or cold days. My running days are far behind me with a bad back and knee so walking with modest weight in my pack has let me loose 50 pounds. A waterproof ipod makes laps in the pool more fun too.

You have to address diet,, you can't out run your fork with your feet, if you don't reduce caloric intake weight loss will be a challenge. I ask myself if I would be willing to walk the distance required to burn off a food item I want if I had to walk that far just to get there to eat it,, most often that is enough to convince me to put my fork down. :)

Steve

twall13

WKR
One thing I wanted to touch on since a few guys have mentioned problems with running and bad knees. I'm still pretty young at 32 but I've had both my ACL's repaired as well as one meniscus. When I changed to zero drop running shoes and worked on my running form not only did my legs get stronger (especially in the calves) but my knee pain faded away. I'm not saying it's a soluton for everyone but a good forefoot strike in my running stride has made a big difference for me. I had to work into it over the course of about 1 month but, for me, it was worth the change. We'll see if 10 or 15 years down the road I'm still singing the same tune but for now it has been helpful.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
You have to address diet,, you can't out run your fork with your feet, if you don't reduce caloric intake weight loss will be a challenge. I ask myself if I would be willing to walk the distance required to burn off a food item I want if I had to walk that far just to get there to eat it,, most often that is enough to convince me to put my fork down. :)

Steve

Pretty much. Weight is lost in the kitchen, and that is the tough part. Get on a good eating plan, stick with it, and you'll love the results.

S.Clancy

WKR
I would use the pack. Running is about efficiency, i.e. your body DECREASES the calories it burns running (sometimes drastically) over time. Bad for fatloss. Carry heavy stuff.

idcuda

WKR
Run at a low heart rate to get your body to start burning fat, instead of burning sugar. Long, slow runs are the best. Then mix in variety, including the pack.