Backpacking bag vs Hunting Bag - Have my cake and eat it too

rammin79

FNG
So here is my dilemma, I am looking for a bag that works for both backpacking in the summer here in the east, but will also work for me when I go hunting out in the west. I only go out west 1 time a year and only been twice to Colorado and going again this year, hoping to be successful. I hike and camp the rest of the time here in the east, but when I go hunting I would like to have ability to carry my meat out when successful. I will mainly be hunting mule deer, but may also elk hunt. I like the conveniences and light weights of backpacking packs such as Osprey or others (ie. frames and suspension systems with mesh that aid in less back sweat, organizational pockets, & small extra conveniences) but I feel I eventually will need the load hauling capabilities of a hunting pack (MR, Kuiu, Kifaru or Exo). But both types are expensive and I don't want to spend the money for 2 different packs. I also don't want to have $750 in a backpack either.

My questions are...

Does anyone else have or have had this problem and have some type of solution.

Can you buy a frame from one company and then buy a bag from another company to marry together and make the "perfect bag".

Should I just by a backpacking bag with the conveniences that I want and then maybe a frame and load hauler/ back strap system to use just to pack out meat?

Any input is appreciated....

fatlander

WKR
I hike with my kifaru 44 mag and duplex light all year long if I’m doing an extended trip. Day hikes and summertime overnighters I use my shapecharge. A few pounds heavier on the pack isn’t going to make or break you on the way in, but once you’ve got an elk quarter in that osprey, you’ll wish you’d have carried a load hauler on the way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
And I agree I like that setup but to get it outfitted the way I would want it, I would be looking at spending 750+ on a backpack and I just don’t know if I can just that for my budget personally.

Superdoo

WKR
And I agree I like that setup but to get it outfitted the way I would want it, I would be looking at spending 750+ on a backpack and I just don’t know if I can just that for my budget personally.
When I was a kid my parents never bought me anything nice. Their rationale was simple, eventually I'd outgrow what they bought.

I bring that up, because as an adult I look at how long I will be able to use an item before it needs to be replaced.

When I decided to get a pack I started with lower cost options and tried them. I gradually worked up in dollar amounts until I found something that worked well for me. If I didn't have enough moolah to move into another pack I just saved until I did. I wasn't in a hurry to buy.
I spent a solid chunk of money and I now have a pack that will grow old with me.
So, I just amortize what I paid against the years of expected use along with a resale value of 30% of the total and I feel much better about the purchase.

I don't see much of an advantage to buying a "backpacking" pack versus a "hunting" pack.

No amount of ventilation features on any bag has kept my back from sweating while wearing it.

Drenalin

WKR
What is your budget?

You didn't list Seek Outside or Stone Glacier, but they're worth a look. Still pricey. I'd probably lean toward Seek Outside given your criteria. Mystery Ranch also makes backpacking packs that some guys use as hunting packs. I'm not saying they're ideal for hauling heavy loads, but guys do it. Some of these MR packs retail around $300 and if you search and wait enough, you can find them steeply discounted online.

I use an EXO 4800 for everything. If you do end up in a higher end hunting pack, most will do everything else you listed very well.

You can mate up different pieces from some companies, probably most if you're not afraid to do some modifications yourself. I don't know how much you gain, or how much money you'd save by doing it though.

You could always carry a regular backpacking pack and keep a load hauling frame in the truck. I considered this with a Seek Outside Flight pack and something like a Kelty Cache Hauler, but ultimately decided to just pony up for a frame meant to do what I wanted it to do. But if that's not possible due to budget, there are other ways to skin this cat for sure.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a kuiu lt 5500. My brother was curious about hammock camping and I wanted to test my pack out so we did an overnight trip a few weeks ago. That kuiu pack was more comfortable and made all my gear weight disappear compared to my North Face backpacking bag. Don’t think I will use the NF one hardly anymore.

On the flip side I have a coworker that just picked up a frame pack and is going to strap his osprey bag and all gear for a base camp in Colorado. He plans to leave the frame at camp and day hike/hunt with the osprey bag. Then if/when an elk is down his plan is to haul the “loose” meat back to camp and grab the frame pack to haul the rest.

Personally I think I will be happy being able to haul more meat off the first trip.

What pack morphing are you needing to do? Do you have a combination you envision that will make the “ultimate” pack?

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
What is your budget?

You didn't list Seek Outside or Stone Glacier, but they're worth a look. Still pricey. I'd probably lean toward Seek Outside given your criteria. Mystery Ranch also makes backpacking packs that some guys use as hunting packs. I'm not saying they're ideal for hauling heavy loads, but guys do it. Some of these MR packs retail around $300 and if you search and wait enough, you can find them steeply discounted online.

I use an EXO 4800 for everything. If you do end up in a higher end hunting pack, most will do everything else you listed very well.

You can mate up different pieces from some companies, probably most if you're not afraid to do some modifications yourself. I don't know how much you gain, or how much money you'd save by doing it though.

You could always carry a regular backpacking pack and keep a load hauling frame in the truck. I considered this with a Seek Outside Flight pack and something like a Kelty Cache Hauler, but ultimately decided to just pony up for a frame meant to do what I wanted it to do. But if that's not possible due to budget, there are other ways to skin this cat for sure.
Budget is around $450, I just have a hard time spending more than that on just a backpack, and I can get something like a MR Metcalf or comparable for that, but it is basically just a load hauling pack, no bells, whistles (side pockets, organizational compartments and such) and maybe I am overthinking this. I was l thinking about a guide light MT frame (can sometimes get those for around $150) and matching a lighter Kuiu or Kilfaru bag with it, but not sure if that's possible. I like the looks of a kilfaru 44 mag. I had actually thought of buying an Osprey bag for backpacking and then a separate MR guide light mt frame with a back strap to haul the meat, but then I would hate to have to go back to the truck with no meat on my back....its catch 22

Superdoo

WKR
Budget is around $450, I just have a hard time spending more than that on just a backpack, and I can get something like a MR Metcalf or comparable for that, but it is basically just a load hauling pack, no bells, whistles (side pockets, organizational compartments and such) and maybe I am overthinking this. I was l thinking about a guide light MT frame (can sometimes get those for around $150) and matching a lighter Kuiu or Kilfaru bag with it, but not sure if that's possible. I like the looks of a kilfaru 44 mag. I had actually thought of buying an Osprey bag for backpacking and then a separate MR guide light mt frame with a back strap to haul the meat, but then I would hate to have to go back to the truck with no meat on my back....its catch 22
Help me understand what advantage you think the osprey will afford you over just using the MR frame and bag?

hikenhunt

WKR
When I was a kid my parents never bought me anything nice. Their rationale was simple, eventually I'd outgrow what they bought.

I bring that up, because as an adult I look at how long I will be able to use an item before it needs to be replaced.

When I decided to get a pack I started with lower cost options and tried them. I gradually worked up in dollar amounts until I found something that worked well for me. If I didn't have enough moolah to move into another pack I just saved until I did. I wasn't in a hurry to buy.
I spent a solid chunk of money and I now have a pack that will grow old with me.
So, I just amortize what I paid against the years of expected use along with a resale value of 30% of the total and I feel much better about the purchase.

I don't see much of an advantage to buying a "backpacking" pack versus a "hunting" pack.

No amount of ventilation features on any bag has kept my back from sweating while wearing it.
I have the same mindset/strategy as superdoo. But in order for it to be a long term purchase, you need to know what you want in terms of features, size, etc. I highly recommend trying a used pack. If it doesn't work out, you can sell it for about what you paid for it. I used that strategy and I'm still using the used pack I wanted to try out!

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
I just picked up a kuiu lt 5500. My brother was curious about hammock camping and I wanted to test my pack out so we did an overnight trip a few weeks ago. That kuiu pack was more comfortable and made all my gear weight disappear compared to my North Face backpacking bag. Don’t think I will use the NF one hardly anymore.

On the flip side I have a coworker that just picked up a frame pack and is going to strap his osprey bag and all gear for a base camp in Colorado. He plans to leave the frame at camp and day hike/hunt with the osprey bag. Then if/when an elk is down his plan is to haul the “loose” meat back to camp and grab the frame pack to haul the rest.

Personally I think I will be happy being able to haul more meat off the first trip.

What pack morphing are you needing to do? Do you have a combination you envision that will make the “ultimate” pack?

Do you know if a Kuiu bag will work with a MR guide light mt frame and still have load shelf capabilities?

JGTWI

WKR
I’m not sure exactly what size you are looking at, but I’d suggest that you take a look at the mystery ranch Terraframe 80.

It’s a ‘backpacking’ pack that has the MR load shelf. I have a previous model that I bought on close out for a steal, not sure if there are any more of those out there online.

It is a slightly lighter weight fabric than their hunting packs, but it still very well made. And I like the extra bit of organization/pockets that it has over some of their larger hunting packs.

I have not used mine on a hunt, but have used it backpacking and camping and I like it a lot. Might be just right for what you are looking for.

ISU17

FNG
Currently in this exact same situation, so I appreciate the thought and comments going into the thread from everyone.

*zap*

WKR
Start with finding the correct frame for you. Then you can get your bag/bags. If I could only have one bag it would be a Kiraru amr, my amr is currently on a SG x-curve frame which has krux stays in it because the x-curve stays did not work for me.....Kifaru aluminum stays can be formed to what you want them to be just trace an outline of them on cardboard with orientation marks before you start tinkering with them. IMO, frame fit is #1.

OP
rammin79

rammin79

FNG
Start with finding the correct frame for you. Then you can get your bag/bags. If I could only have one bag it would be a Kiraru amr, my amr is currently on a SG x-curve frame which has krux stays in it because the x-curve stays did not work for me.....Kifaru aluminum stays can be formed to what you want them to be just trace an outline of them on cardboard with orientation marks before you start tinkering with them. IMO, frame fit is #1.

So are pretty much all major bags and frames interchangeable? And I heard the MR guide light mt frame is a good frame. That’s what I was looking at, as it is quite a bit cheaper than some of the others. Can I get that frame and put another type bag on it?

fatlander

WKR
So are pretty much all major bags and frames interchangeable? And I heard the MR guide light mt frame is a good frame. That’s what I was looking at, as it is quite a bit cheaper than some of the others. Can I get that frame and put another type bag on it?

No. Mystery ranch bags aren’t even interchangeable between different MR frames without special buckle kits. You can get most any bag on most any frame, but you’re going to have to play with buckles and/or extra compressions strap(s) to make it work. And then you still may have some slop in the bag that won’t come out.

Superdoo

WKR
I can get something like a MR Metcalf or comparable for that, but it is basically just a load hauling pack, no bells, whistles (side pockets, organizational compartments and such) and maybe I am overthinking this.
You are indeed overthinking it.
If an MR Metcalf is in your budget, what "bells and whistles" are missing???

You'll have a pack and frame that mate up extremely easily, you'll have one of the most conveniently accessible load shelfs on the market and more importantly you won't have to spend time dicking the dog in order to mate a different bag to the frame.
BTW, I tried to do this a few years ago with a Sawtooth 45. MR wouldn't sell me the proprietary buckles for less than $5 each.

If you want more organization, buy stuff sacks. I much prefer them to pockets anyway.

If you want any additional help on this you'll need to start figuring what bag you think will be ideal for your intentions.
At the same time though, I agree 100% with @*zap*. If you don't get a frame that fits your body, it won't matter how perfect the bag is. The end result will be misery while doing something that flat out sucks to do already.

Lando

WKR
You might consider looking at the Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor. It was designed by hiker Andrew Skurka for Sierra Designs. He has carried out multiple elk with it and it weighs under 3 pounds. My personal experience with it as a backpack, haven't carried an animal out with it yet, has been good:

I'll personally never buy another backpack that has a permanently attached bag (aka, a typical "backpacking" pack). Frame/bag modularity greatly increases the utility of the pack and allows me to tailor it for multiple uses (overnight camping, day hiking, meat hauling, weight training, etc). The only benefits I see to a non-modular backpacking pack (e.g., Osprey, Gregory, Deuter) are lower cost and slightly lighter weight. The versatility and heavy load capability of a modular hunting pack are worth a couple hundred extra dollars and a couple pounds of extra pack weight. If cost is a sticking point, buy used. With some patience, I was able to piece together a secondhand Kifaru pack last year for $450 (Duplex Hunter frame + DT2 bag + Longhunter lid).

To your question about mixing and matching across brands: with enough extra hardware (plus maybe a bit of cutting and sewing), you can make almost any frame and bag work together, but it will likely be more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
Save your tokens and get a good cross pack like exo, kifaru, or kuiu offer. You can probably get one for 600 on the classifieds or with a sale/coupon. It's not complicated.