Backstrap Explosion

roymunson

WKR
Lol....so would you take a filet mignon or a perfect bone-in ribeye and rip it apart and stuff it full of cream cheese? Because that is exactly what you are doing when you do this to a venison backstrap....only it's MUCH worse than that because you have to work so much harder to put a venison backstrap in your freezer.

I experiment with venison a lot. I play around with shanks and different techniques for roasts. I've tried a bunch of different things with organ meat and tongue .There is literally no way to improve a backstrap....salt, pepper, grill to MR and eat the thing.

But yeah homey, feel free to ruin your venison any way you want. If you are addicted to cream cheese and feel the need to stuff everything full of it knock yourself out. But if finding out that other people find your taste disgusting and wasteful bothers you maybe you shouldn't be sharing your "techniques" on the internet.
Tommy Tuffnuts

I don't know if I'm all about covering up the flavor of the meat I'm trying to cook, but if the dude wants to, let him have at it.

If you think the only way to do backstraps are salt, pepper, and grill, then are more short sighted than you think.

I'm not really offended by your post, I feel bad for you that you honestly think you're so right that there's no room for nuance.

Azone

WKR
Backstraps for jerky? Yeah…no.
Dry cure a whole backstrap into a lonzino and then slice it paper thin, it’s awesome. The jerky was gifted to me from a friend and it was killer stuff, the texture and tenderness was great. Backstrap with salt, pepper and garlic cooked to an internal temp of 110 to 120 over oak wood is also excellent, probably my favorite. Some years we have an abundance of deer sitting in the freezers and experimenting and finding new processes and recipes rather than the same thing all the time is a welcomed change. To each their own.

this is funny. first, I find it offensive that mozzarella is being called cream cheese. shame on you. second, every real man loves bacon so if you love backstaps also then it's only natural to combine the 2. don't fear the bacon, embrace it. you might come out of this a better man because of it. and yes, I have wrapped bacon around fillet mignon and its delicious. in fact, its one of the most common ways of cooking it. I say good job to the OP for finding a new recipe that he enjoys.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve cooked similar on the pellet grill I thought turned out pretty dam good. Back strap is good. On a good year we have more of it then I can realistically cook without getting tired of it. I like to use my meat rather than let it freezer burn. I also like to continually cook meals my family enjoys. If that is wasteful because my kids would hate deer meat if it was salt pepper same thing twice a week then I guess I also waste game.