Questions for the custom Glock guys

kpk

WKR
I'm not a Glock guy due to the grip and trigger reach. However, I handled my neighbors Shadow Systems with a 1911 style backstrap in it, and that felt really good.

The Shadow Systems frame is stupid expensive. Are the Lone Wolfs or any of the other aftermarket frames more similar in size and shape to the Shadow frame?? This would be for a 19 build.

Second question, what about a Timberwolf Large frame, anyone know how that compares to the 20 frames for size?

mtnkid85

WKR
I don't know what the current situation is with the Polymer80 stuff, but their frames both the 19 and 20 sizes are similar to what your looking for, closer to a 1911 grip angle. The large frame is still "girthy" but it does feel better than a factory Glock.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm not a Glock guy due to the grip and trigger reach. However, I handled my neighbors Shadow Systems with a 1911 style backstrap in it, and that felt really good.

The Shadow Systems frame is stupid expensive. Are the Lone Wolfs or any of the other aftermarket frames more similar in size and shape to the Shadow frame?? This would be for a 19 build.

They’re ok, but they aren’t a whole lot better. If you want something that feels like a 1911, there is a 1911 grip module made for Sig P320’s that is fantastic.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
Boresight solutions can do a reduction and texture. His work is very good. I’ve probably had 5-6 guns for me. He can change grip angles as well

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
They’re ok, but they aren’t a whole lot better. If you want something that feels like a 1911, there is a 1911 grip module made for Sig P320’s that is fantastic.

You have any input on the x ten?? I've handled that and really like it, but all I read about are mag and feeding issues.

I have an xdm in 10mm right now and haven't had any issues - I'm just not in love with it either.

Not sure but I had my 20sf finger grooves removed with custom steeple and it helped some.

I picked up a gen 5 20, which to my knowledge would be about the same as an sf with grooves removed. The trigger reach is just too much for me compared to the sigs and springer I've always used.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You have any input on the x ten?? I've handled that and really like it, but all I read about are mag and feeding issues.

I do not. Extensive use with P320 9mm’s, M18, and M17’s.

what do you consider expensive? The shadow foundation series is close to glock pricing. About $670 list Vs MOSg glocks at $625 or so. I don’t know how much their frame are but I imagine they aren’t ~$100 like some cheap ones.

I have few MR and DR combat 920s. Good guns.

they have some nice enhancements. night sights are stock. The front serrations are much better than Glock. The controls are good straight out of the box vs glock that I generally upgrade. The triggers are pretty good. Their optics mounting solution is solid. They have a weak hand thumb ledge that I like. Overall, I like them but I have bigger hands and have found I prefer the large back strap on the gen 4/5 glocks So I have been trading in my SS pistols.

I like my Lone Wolf frames. This is basically a 19X size. Fits so much better than an OEM frame and is very affordable.

Attachments

• 20240301_140150.jpg
    20240301_140150.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 15

Mag_7s

WKR
I would ask your neighbor if you could run a magazine or two through his shadow. I have always struggled with a glock. I have pretty extensive training and qualifications under that platform, but it never did feel natural or an "extension" of my arm. I knew how to shoot it, and how I shot with it, so I would cheat to qualify. Meaning, to hit center mass I would aim low left on the silhouette.
1911s have always fit my hand well, and I could actually shoot them fairly decent. I really like 1911s, but my concern was my muscle memory was all tied up in running the glock. Everything from one hand operation to malfunction clearing was just automatic and I was concerned I would get my wires crossed if I switched under high stress situations.
I decided to try a Shadow mr920 with the 1911 grip angle and I absolutely love it. It still doesn't feel like a 1911, but way better than any glock i have ever shot and i can shoot it well. I really like this pistol and it's worth a test drive if your neighbor is willing.

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
what do you consider expensive? The shadow foundation series is close to glock pricing. About $670 list Vs MOSg glocks at $625 or so. I don’t know how much their frame are but I imagine they aren’t ~$100 like some cheap ones.

When I was looking around I think the stripped shadow frames were 325-350.

1911s have always fit my hand well, and I could actually shoot them fairly decent. I really like 1911s, but my concern was my muscle memory was all tied up in running the glock. Everything from one hand operation to malfunction clearing was just automatic and I was concerned I would get my wires crossed if I switched under high stress situations.
I decided to try a Shadow mr920 with the 1911 grip angle and I absolutely love it. It still doesn't feel like a 1911, but way better than any glock i have ever shot and i can shoot it well. I really like this pistol and it's worth a test drive if your neighbor is willing.

Same concerns. When I handled the neighbors (I think it's the same model as yours actually) shadow, it had that familiar feel and I felt like I could actually shoot it. He already offered to let me borrow it sometime, I'll have to take him up on it.