Ballistics on RF bino or not? Fury 5000

I'm looking at getting some fury 5000s locally brand new at $750 or the AB version for around $1200 new.

If I memorize my dope, is it really worth going with the AB version? I don't use a kestrel that it would pair to, so that function doesn't matter anyway. I'd still have to put numbers into my phone app or make a wind chart to reference after getting the drop solution from the binos, so I'm not sure how I'd be saving time.

Also, I currently use b2 9x45, so going from those being my primary glass to the fury, I'm a bit worried I'll be disappointed in the glassing department.

So... If I can memorize my drops based on a certain DA, out to 600-700, and wouldn't be pairing to a kestrel, is the AB version actually worth it?

Seems like a great deal on the regular version that I shouldn't pass up.

OP
H
No suggestions? I've also been watching for a deal on the newer geovid r to come up, if I decide to go without the ballistics software

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
You will be disappointed in the optical quality of the Fury 5000 in comparison to your Mavens.

When I got into hunting I needed binos and a rangefinder. Bought the Fury 5000 non-AB version. I use 4DOF for dope on notecards for my specific locations and atmospherics. I simultaneously fell in love with binocular rangefinders as a rifle hunting optics system, yet hated the optical quality of the Fury’s for any prolonged glassing. They gave me headaches I believe due to the differential color tint between the tubes.

Sold the Fury’s and bought used Maven B2 9x45 and a new Maven RF1 rangefinder. Love the B2 binos, great high value binos. But now I’m eager to move back to a binocular rangefinder to get back to that workflow- it’s dramatically more efficient for rifle hunting.

Fury’s are great for quick handheld looks or range use. The optics struggle for serious big country glassing for any duration. I’d look hard at the Geovid R or save up for the Revics.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Having RF/AB on board is pretty cool. Depending on the unit can leave the kestrel at home.

But only IF you trust the solution and IF you are so time crunched you can’t reference your phone or a dope card (30 sec handicap maybe). I use it for certain hunting situations but as mentioned typically there is a downgrade in glass. If I think I’m scanning or glassing a ton, I am prioritizing glass and will have a seperate RF.

OP
H
@alpine_troop if you like the b2's.... I talked to Maven on the phone inquiring about a bino RF and they said they're working on it but not wanting to compromise on glass quality and RF function. I'm considering holding out for that, or the revic. However, when I asked about cold soak testing below 15F, he said pretty my much all RF aren't going to work when left all night in sub 15F temps. I beg to differ after reading some reports on the fury, revic, and Leica RF. So that is all I have to report about that. I hope what they turn out is magnificent. I like Maven.

I'll pass on the furys. I also archery hunt in heavy cover, so I plan on keeping a handheld RF for that and I do like my b2's a lot. The issue is that my RF is a vortex to ranger 1800 that seems to not work in low temps, snow, and fog further than a couple hundred yards.

@Tahoe1305 , thanks for the thoughts. I think the same way about it... I'm not sure what shooting situation I'd be in where I have my binos up and need to shoot so quickly at that bino distance I don't have time to range and also get a drop and wind value from a card or my phone.

No experience with the Fury… but after using Revics I don’t think I’ll ever go back to non RF binos. I memorized my dope, and it’s lasted on the rifle… but using the binos is still super fast and intuitive. The whole shot process is better.

I do love my Swaro SLCs, and the viewing experience is not as good with the RF binos. But it’s close enough and the benefits are worth it to me to carry the Revics instead

My take: it’s not so much that I’m in a time crunch. But I have so much at my fingertips at once that I can take that time to get into a better position, move, make a plan, etc rather than pulling up a separate device or looking away from the animal.

For archery, I still prefer a separate RF

JGRaider

WKR
You will be disappointed in the optical quality of the Fury 5000 in comparison to your Mavens.

When I got into hunting I needed binos and a rangefinder. Bought the Fury 5000 non-AB version. I use 4DOF for dope on notecards for my specific locations and atmospherics. I simultaneously fell in love with binocular rangefinders as a rifle hunting optics system, yet hated the optical quality of the Fury’s for any prolonged glassing. They gave me headaches I believe due to the differential color tint between the tubes.

Sold the Fury’s and bought used Maven B2 9x45 and a new Maven RF1 rangefinder. Love the B2 binos, great high value binos. But now I’m eager to move back to a binocular rangefinder to get back to that workflow- it’s dramatically more efficient for rifle hunting.

Fury’s are great for quick handheld looks or range use. The optics struggle for serious big country glassing for any duration. I’d look hard at the Geovid R or save up for the Revics.
That's what I thought until I actually used the Fury AB's in the field, and yes I've owned 3 sets of Geovids, which all sucked, especially the RF capability and app/ballistic/user interface. The AB's have above average glass, gets you well past legal shooting light, are crisp, clear, and sharp. The RF is superb as is the AB programming. If you don't need the ballistic programs, the GPO Rangeguide is the best combo of optics, build quality, and RF ability on the market IME.

I had a pair of the non ab furys the glass was usable, rangefinder worked well. Having used a buddies applied ballistic model I will be moving in that direction just because the app was easy to use and clean! Having the onboard ballistic solver is much faster than grabbing my phone to get data. If you are always hunting at the same elevation maybe you’ll be able to solve by memory but I can’t image it would be more accurate or much quicker than the solution from the binos.

Ballistic computers are only as good as data you feed them. Ideally you want your average MV taken at a given temp, humidity, and altitude. Then plug that info into your bullet profile. Then fire a group at 700yards to confirm the accuracy of that data. Adjust that data accordingly.

Once you've done that, you should be able to trust your data. But dont trust that data till you do confirm and correct it

OP
H
Ballistic computers are only as good as data you feed them. Ideally you want your average MV taken at a given temp, humidity, and altitude. Then plug that info into your bullet profile. Then fire a group at 700yards to confirm the accuracy of that data. Adjust that data accordingly.

Once you've done that, you should be able to trust your data. But dont trust that data till you do confirm and correct it

That is what I currently do, and use the shooter app to get all my drop tables, etc. I make quick reference cards for different DAs so I can do a quick reference and memorization for the altitude I'm at, or I can pull the card out quickly look at it

That is what I currently do, and use the shooter app to get all my drop tables, etc. I make quick reference cards for different DAs so I can do a quick reference and memorization for the altitude I'm at, or I can pull the card out quickly look at it

Gotcha. All I was saying, if you're going to get the ballistics built in, make sure your data is good. I bought the Sig Kilo 10K to take all the guesswork out of what I'm doing. I just got the unit but I'm keen on the fact that it eliminates carrying a monocular RF and kestrel. I just carry the binos. 2 less things to carry and worry about loosing in the woods

If you decide against running ab built in take a look at the new leupold rf binos, glass was better to my eye that the furys or sigs.