Barnes LRX 139 7MM

Anyone using Barnes 139 7MM on elk?

My 7mm really likes these would love to hear feedback on how they perform for elk.

Thanks
Not sure if it helps but I was using the hornaday superformance sst (I believe that',s the full name) 139gr in a 7mm.

My 5x5 and 3 spikes all were 1 shot and instantly down. Took a spike across a canyon close to 600 yards with it, hit it dead on a bone and it basically de-boned that quarter. When we started cutting it up, theat entire shoulder was broken and loose bone fragments.

By far my favorite caliber and bullet so far.

If that’s what your rifle likes, go with it. My 7 mag likes several cartridges. Among them the Barnes 140 gr TSX. It also likes 168 gr Accubonds and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I’d hunt elk with any of them because I’m confident with them. It also loves the 150 gr Fusions and am up in the air on if I’d use them for elk but no hesitation on deer.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I loaded some this year and had poor results on elk at closer range. At 140 yards or so, the bullet passed right through behind the shoulder. My son put a few more in the bull before he went down. Upon inspection, it was clear there was minimal expansion at that range and velocity. I will not use them again on elk.

Thats odd. Both deer were around 200 yards expansion looked great. Both had quarter size exits. Had massive hemorrhaging throughout..both were shoulder shots. Monos typically don't always perform too well when they don't hit something solid. Thus the reason I use monos. They will still work in soft tissue and you don't need to worry about hitting shoulders. Your guaranteed great penetration unlike some of your softer cup and core's

stdeb11

FNG
I haven't tested the 139gr LRX, but I have been using the 140gr TTSX which I think is pretty much the same bullet construction. It's been great on elk, deer, and antelope from 60yds to 315yds. Very pleased with the expansion and always a pass thru with a good blood trail.

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I use them in my tikka. As mentioned some rifles don’t like them, sounds like yours does.
I load up my daughters 7mm08 and that thing shoots absolute lights out with the 120gr. From elk to black tails to pronghorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Not sure if it helps but I was using the hornaday superformance sst (I believe that',s the full name) 139gr in a 7mm.

My 5x5 and 3 spikes all were 1 shot and instantly down. Took a spike across a canyon close to 600 yards with it, hit it dead on a bone and it basically de-boned that quarter. When we started cutting it up, theat entire shoulder was broken and loose bone fragments.

By far my favorite caliber and bullet so far.
Awesome thank you! This is my first year hunting with 7mm excited to try it.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I loaded some this year and had poor results on elk at closer range. At 140 yards or so, the bullet passed right through behind the shoulder. My son put a few more in the bull before he went down. Upon inspection, it was clear there was minimal expansion at that range and velocity. I will not use them again on elk.
Interesting thanks for sharing!

Mosby

WKR
My nephew and I use them. I shot a bull last year at 182 yards with one and he went about 40 yards before going down. I hit him right behind the shoulder and it hit the far shoulder and stopped. Didn't exit. My nephew had a similar result the year before, so we have been happy with performance. Extremely accurate in my rifle. I load it pretty hot.

damer

FNG
We use the 139lrx in our tikka! Those bullets flat out put elk down. Have only recovered one bullet and it was picture perfect mushroom. Killed some deer with them to and worked great. Chronographed them 5 shot average was 3234.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
We use the 139lrx in our tikka! Those bullets flat out put elk down. Have only recovered one bullet and it was picture perfect mushroom. Killed some deer with them to and worked great. Chronographed them 5 shot average was 3234.
Did you notice a wide spread on velocities? My factory loads were over 100 FPS different.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also using the 139 LRX on elk for the first time this year. I talked to Barnes before deciding between the TTSX and the LRX. They are incredibly similar except the LRX has a lower minimum expansion velocity. The Barnes rep suggested a maximum range for elk of 400-500 yards depending on the velocities your getting. Not saying this is fact or they won’t work beyond that, it’s just what was suggested.

I’m also using the 139 LRX on elk for the first time this year. I talked to Barnes before deciding between the TTSX and the LRX. They are incredibly similar except the LRX has a lower minimum expansion velocity. The Barnes rep suggested a maximum range for elk of 400-500 yards depending on the velocities your getting. Not saying this is fact or they won’t work beyond that, it’s just what was suggested.
I can see that for sure..but let's be honest, most people have no business trying to shoot and elk past 500 yards.