Barneys freighter set up

Buddro

FNG
I just ordered a Barneys Freighter frame for hunting in the lower 48. I want to keep weight down so for now I wont be ordering one of their bags. Frankly cost and bulk are also reasons I dont want to order their bags for now I just dont need a pack that will haul moose quarters and the side packs will get in the way in the more brushy stuff.

So, where I am at is deciding on a bag to lash to the frame to get my gear in. Most of my trips are in the 2-3 day range and my gear is fairly dialed in so I dont need anything huge. I just finished a 2 day trip where I killed a small deer and packed out with a 2200 cu pack. My original plan was to just get a 3000 plus inch dry bag and roll with it but I want to know my options.

I have found several cuben fiber ultralight backpacking bags that come in around 2 lbs with straps and waist belts that look like genuinely good options that could double as day packs. Concern being how long it will take me to destroy the cuben fiber even being careful in brush. Does anyone have experience with these?

Last night an option that seemed really good is one of the kuiu ultra bags, probably the 4000. The design seems to suit what I want, pretty much just a duffle with minimal garbage hanging off of the sides. it is light weight. later down the road I could buy the frame and have a lightweight option for when I dont feel the need for an exterior frame. lastly my girlfriend already owns an icon pack and could use this bag on her frame for longer trips.

I know there are a lot of kifaru nuts on this site, what is their equivalent set up to the kuiu ultra line? I believe kuiu and kifaru frames and bags will interchange for the most part?

I know there are manufacturers out there making more streamlined bags designed to mount to external frames but I haven't found many. can you guys name a few to look at?

I would love to hear input from people who have run similar set ups or who otherwise have relevant knowledge. Both about the bags and considerations I need to make here. Pictures are always awesome, and yes, I have been patrolling the forum for these types of threads but if you can point me to specific threads I would appreciate it.

EastMT

WKR
There’s one bag you can use for this frame that is budget and works. It’s the Alps Commander bag only option. You can get it from Amazon for about $50. I then used a grommet kit and heated it, cut holes to match the Barney’s pins. I have used the alps bag on a sheep hunt, 3 goat hunts, 3 caribou hunts, several bear hunts. All the zippers, snaps, etc still function, no tears, rifle holder built in, lid, bladder pocket. 30oz if I remember correctly

I also bought some mil webbing, put grommets and clips on the pins. I can strap half a caribou to this thing in 10 seconds, be on the road. I have 2 frames and they are hard to beat for straight up loading and going.

9cedcb982256a2258cdab26890e34dd6.jpg

Hauled my wife’s caribou out last week, a goat the week before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I also moved the shelf down low, aluminum stock installed for a solid shelf. Very nice to set your pack down and it stands straight up, especially in swamp or muddy areas.

Following...

Also eyeballing this frame, but having a hard time justifying the cost of the three bag options.

Not trying to hijack, but I welcome any suggestions for different bag(s) for a fly-in base camp moose hunt. Still trying to figure out how I'm getting stuff to Fairbanks. Figured the frame and game bags and tarp all I really need for packing out animal. But still need to pack day items for hunt when leaving camp... And some kind of bag(s) needed to transport gear to the field on last flight, and hoofed to camp.

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
I have 2 buddies that uses one of the Kuiu bags and uses the straps to attach it to the frame. That’s the only other one I’ve seen used. I believe one is the 5000, one is the 7000 range. They work well also, uses the load shelf just like you would on a kuiu frame. He has a rifle holder that goes on the back of the pack, not sure which brand. It took some finagling to get the kuiu to stay in place but it works great now. They are lighter and organize well, good bags.

I just can’t justify the Barney’s bag price as well. I’ve considered having Pods8 user on here make me a custom bag, as I could have the layout the way I prefer.

What about commercial flights with Barney external frame and a different bag, like the Cabela's referenced above? Frame and full bag for under checked bag regs?

Also... How to internal frames work for hauling meat? I guess you literally put meat in bag itself? That doesn't seem like best option for bone-in moose hunt. Wouldn't external frame with no bag be best bet for this?

EastMT

WKR
I remove the bag for larger animals, as seen above if more than one trip is necessary. If I am on say a goat hunt as the one in August, the bottom shelf is really handy. I put one game bag the shelf strapped in, one in a garbage bag in the top of the bag. Carried half the goat and hide out that way with camp in the bag also.

For just hauling meat, that’s where the straps I made come in handy, drop the bag off, all you have is a frame and straps. I added an eberlestock gun scabbard for those trips back, never know when a griz will be on the carcass, then get a nice hide out of the deal too!

OP
B

Buddro

FNG
As far as flying comercial with the frame
pack look into southwest, they are pretty awesome with baggage especially on alaskan flights, they used to work closely with rav'n or maybe it's just raven. either way they fly inside of alaska and were also pretty helpful with my odd sized gear when I was up there.

internal frame packs just aren't quite the heavy haulers that externals are, but they can still be pretty awesome. I recently hauled a small deer and 3 day camp In a badlands 2200 which is in no way a heavy hitter for an internal frame and did just fine. a moose quarter will be a lot rougher but pretty doable for some of the bigger rigs. a lot of people on here swear by the kifaru packs even over the freighter frame. if you aren't planning on back country heavy hauling (100+ lbs) being a super regular thing they may be a better option for you the modular systems are handy for running smaller packs too.

if you are weary of the external frame consider trying to bone the quarters out. it just doesnt typically make sense to carry bones with you and it will help make the size and weight of the load fit an internal frame system better.