Barrel and Action Wrenches and Vices

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get tooled on the action and barrel wrench/vice department.

Mostly for Tikka and savage 110.

Watching YouTube and it seems many guys struggle with the grip (parts slipping in their tools).

Willing to spend some money on tools that can do the job easily and professionally. Also I am all ears if you think most of these guys suffer from user error and run of the mill tools are just fine.

What do you guys recommend?

I honestly in the past had always just used a Cresent wrench on the savage lug and the barrel nut I had a flat bar wrench made for the barrel nut and never had an issue setting headspacing or changing barrels. Early on I did have 1 barrel come loose when trying to finish a coyote with a couple butt strokes I stead of adding another hole, but after that never did again.

Tikka, I bought an inside wrench and I forget the kind of barrel vice block I got, wanna say wheeler, but unsure, has 4 spots for different sized barrel contours made of aluminum and then got a torque wrench from harbor freight. Once you have a tikka that has had the barrel broke loose you should be fine, but don't use an inside action wrench to take off a factory barrel, it can scree up the raceways.

Axlrod

WKR
For non Savage (Tikka etc.) I use a 12 ton hydraulic press and either Power custom aluminium inserts or I make the inserts out of Aluminium bar stock. You can buy this material from online metals etc. And internal action wrenches from Bug Holes. You can get a press from Jeggs that start at $120 for a 6 ton, and that would be more clamping force than any of the dedicated barrel vices.

For Savage all you need is a Wheeler action wrench and a bench vice.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Viper Vice from Grizzly and Brownells action wrench. Short Action customs also sells a good vice. Internal action wrenches are good too.

I use a piece of paper and rosin in the vice. The key is a HEAVY hammer and sharp blow to break a factory barrel off.

Savages, I just cut the smooth barrel nuts mostly off with a dremel.

Also, sometimes when I have tightened down the action wrench around the barrel. It was so much that it was hard to hand screw the barrel out. So, don’t overtighten.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, good info.

Right now this is what I am thinking:

-Short action customs internal receiver wrench for assembly.

-Haven't decided on which external action wrench, but planning on using that for disassembly of troublesome factory parts.

-Looking at either the short action customs barrel vice or maybe the cheap Wheeler barrel clamp? Does the wheeler work as well as they claim?

I do have a 20 ton shop press and would love to see a picture of your setup Axlrod. A cheap Wheeler barrel clamp in my press might be a high performing cheap setup assuming the holes in the wheeler unit are the right size for my barrels.

Any thoughts on this? Other recommendations?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks guys, good info.

-Haven't decided on which external action wrench, but planning on using that for disassembly of troublesome factory parts.

-Looking at either the short action customs barrel vice or maybe the cheap Wheeler barrel clamp? Does the wheeler work as well as they claim?

I do have a 20 ton shop press and would love to see a picture of your setup Axlrod. A cheap Wheeler barrel clamp in my press might be a high performing cheap setup assuming the holes in the wheeler unit are the right size for my barrels.

I find that the Viper style is adequate instead of trying to find the different sized like wheeler. I had a set like that and none were close enough so ai got rid of it.

You will need an internal action wrench for the different types of actions, some are the same. Just confirm.

Unckebob

WKR
I don't like my Viper style barrel vice and wis I had bought something better. Adequate, but not loved. If I was doing it again, I would get the Short Action Custom Bravo vice with a few inserts.

Internal Action Wrenches are the way to go.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I actually like the Viper barrel vise. Does the job just fine and it’s rather cheap compared to the SAC vise.

Attachments

• IMG_5646.jpeg
    IMG_5646.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 15
I have a viper vise. Cut the top into two pieces, it does much better on the tikka barrel taper that way as it will follow the taper better. Tikka factory barrels can be on very tight. I made an external wrench for breaking the factory barrel loose. Works very well and cost was minimal. I will be getting an internal tikka wrench for reinstall or other barrels though.

Pic of my “wrench.” 1” aluminum bar stock. Handle end is about 3’ long.
1f1f0b02ad2a058a211f49b7eae384cf.jpg

bbf4e52400c3ea15a182b66bc0085c87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a viper vise. Cut the top into two pieces, it does much better on the tikka barrel taper that way as it will follow the taper better. Tikka factory barrels can be on very tight. I made an external wrench for breaking the factory barrel loose. Works very well and cost was minimal. I will be getting an internal tikka wrench for reinstall or other barrels though.

Pic of my “wrench.” 1” aluminum bar stock. Handle end is about 3’ long.
1f1f0b02ad2a058a211f49b7eae384cf.jpg

bbf4e52400c3ea15a182b66bc0085c87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cutting the top is genius

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I used a wheeler external action wrench to remove the factory barrel...and a 3ft pipe. The an internal action wrench to torque the new barrel.

khuber84

WKR
I have a Short Action Customs vice with various diameter inserts, one custom for Tikka sporter contours. I wrap drywall tape around the barrel for two wraps where the vice collects grip. I've broken multiple tikkas in this. I use a Bugholes inside action wrench with a 24" breaker Bar, then get a 24" crescent wrench around the square action faces and twist wrench and breaker at same time, they've all popped. The only action I couldn't break was an early 70s rem700 that had been left outside at one point, was rusted to hell. A smith had to put a relief cut in the tenon to get it off.

Darryle

WKR
For the barrel vise, I use the drywall tape recommended here, never had anything slip since, including a stubborn X-Bolt barrel.

I use the internal wrenches for the actions.

As mentioned the problem with the 4 bolt pattern vises like the Viper is when you have a barrel with a short shank and quick taper.

I have a different brand and wish I had just ponied up for the SAC modular vise instead. Everything I have purchased from the has been superb in quality and function. I don’t mind paying for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Thanks guys, good info.

I just used one of the internal action wrenches from bugholes to change my savage ultralight barrel, the internal SAC was out of stock. It worked perfectly, used it with a savage nut wrench. Didnt even need to use my vice

sveltri

WKR
For anyone interested I have a savage action wrench and barrel nut wrench that I am more than happy to lend out.

Weldor

WKR
Has anyone used a impact wrench with the bugholes? Seems like less risk of twisting the action?

Has anyone used a impact wrench with the bugholes? Seems like less risk of twisting the action?
Yes this is the one i just used, it was super easy. It works for rem700 too looks like. Im also happy to lend it out to anyone that needs to borrow it. Edit to add: i did not use an impact, just a 1/2" ratchet and a socket

Last edited:
The SAC is worth the money if you’re willing to spend it.

I don’t think I’d recommend the Viper anymore. I have had one for well over 10 years now and it was one of the better options when I bought it, but it’s worn out from use (just too much stress from torquing it down thousands of times) and I had difficulties at times grabbing smaller diameter barrels with it. I’d say I got my use out of it and can’t fault it for being worn out from so much use, but there are just better designs out there now.

Bugholes is great for wrenches, and no don’t use an impact wrench on the action wrench. That’s a great way to deform the raceways.