Barrett Fieldcraft Build Thread

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
This rifle has undergone some change and just harvested its first animal (since I got it).

20231014_123758.jpg

I added a Spartan Gunsmith Adapter to about the furthest rear location in front of the recoil lug. And I added a Spartan Classic Adapter to the front, as well as drilled the hole (under this adapter) in case I want to swap that out for a Spartan Picatinny adapter. These give me the ability to easily use my Spartan bipod/tripod.

I swapped out the scope for a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 MIL-R. I just wanted something that I really knew I could trust on this rifle.

In total, the rifle weighs a hair over 7lbs with no ammo, sling, or stock pouch. This does include the Ultra 5 though. With the sling, stock pouch, and 8 rounds of ammo, the rifle weighs 8lbs 1 oz. No longer ultralight, but it is the perfect stalking rifle IMO.

And it can straight up shoot.... here's my zero-confirmation group at 100 yards using a wet stump as the shooting table.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-11 14_49_51.307784.jpg

Its first kill (in my hands) was an offhand, 75-yard shot directly between the eyes on a spike bull. It is now my favorite rifle.

bmicek

WKR
Man, I have a sweet Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08 with an MPI Microlite stock, and I still regret selling my Fieldcraft… My Kimber is a sweet rifle, I’m just attracted to the scarcity of the Fieldcraft. Though I never see Adirondacks in 7mm-08 pop up either.

ljalberta

WKR
Love the build. I have the threaded 6.5CM option. I have also gone from an ultralight scope setup to something more robust. When I get the time in the new year, I will try installing one of the Gunsmith Spartan adaptors in front of the front swivel stud. Should make it slightly more sleek up front.

I have also debated lopping off .75" (+/- .25") from the stock to shorten the LOP. My gunsmithing skills are about as amateur as you can get, so I'm a little concerned I may butcher the job. I still have the GIF telling me I should try, so we'll see.