Bataan Death March - Rucking Marathon

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody done this event? https://bataanmarch.com/ Or something like it? Thinking of entering in the heavy category. I work out much more consistently when I have a goal, and this would be a big motivator for staying fit through the winter until the draw results get released in April.

If you’ve done it, I’d love to hear how you trained, what was the route like, what went well and what you’d do differently.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. Floyd Singer, my early mentor, professor in college, was a survivor. He was badly hobbled from the abuse he took. Good cause, and good luck.
He joined the National Guard at the age of 14 and four years later enlisted in the Army Air Corps. He was a member of the 7th Material Squadron, 19th Bomb Group for the Air Force during World War II.

Stationed on Bataan, he was captured by the Japanese and was a prisoner of war from April 1942 to September 1945. While he was a prisoner, he worked as a coal miner and farmer and participated in the infamous Bataan Death March.

I haven’t ever done it, but it is on the list of things to do. Every time I plan to go, I end up having to go to work. Maybe this year.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
It’s on my bucket list.

I haven’t ever done it, but it is on the list of things to do. Every time I plan to go, I end up having to go to work. Maybe this year.
No time like the present! Registration fees go up at the end of the month.

Training for elk season I was doing short rucks of 90lbs, and longer rucks at 70 lbs. For this I was thinking of adding a run day and cutting my weight back to 50-60 lbs and focusing on increasing my speed, with a goal of 4 miles an hour. Then on race day I’ll feel light. I don’t have time to do 20 mile training rucks, so shorter rucks at higher weight will have to suffice.

stonewall

WKR
I’ve done it in person and then virtual during COVID. It’s an awesome event and hope to come do it again sometime

I used the mountain tactical (?) training plan. Rob shauls program

There are elevation maps to guide you a bit. It’s mostly uphill the first half and then downhill the back half (mostly). It had snowed the time I did it so the sand pit wasn’t very difficult with the moisture. Temps were around 30 that morning and warmed up during the day. I wore shorts and a ls shirt. Wore my puffy while standing in line and shoved it in pack right at the start

If you run you’re able to start at the front. I didn’t know that and spent the first few miles trying to pass a few thousand people (civilian heavy starts in the back). I did a run/walk strategy

You will be glad you did it

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done it in person and then virtual during COVID. It’s an awesome event and hope to come do it again sometime

I used the mountain tactical (?) training plan. Rob shauls program

There are elevation maps to guide you a bit. It’s mostly uphill the first half and then downhill the back half (mostly). It had snowed the time I did it so the sand pit wasn’t very difficult with the moisture. Temps were around 30 that morning and warmed up during the day. I wore shorts and a ls shirt. Wore my puffy while standing in line and shoved it in pack right at the start

If you run you’re able to start at the front. I didn’t know that and spent the first few miles trying to pass a few thousand people (civilian heavy starts in the back). I did a run/walk strategy

You will be glad you did it
I’ve been using Mike Prevost’s program with good results, but I’ll look up Shaul’s program and see what I want to incorporate. Thanks!

My father in law does it every year. I keep saying I’m gonna register one of these years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
When I was in elementary school in the 50`s, one of our teachers always wore sun glasses, even inside in the classroom. Being kids, we made fun of him behind his back. One day my dad, a Pacific WWII vet himself, took me aside and explained to me that our teacher had been taken prisoner by the Japanese and was a Death March survivor. Because of malnutrition, his eyes were affected and he couldn`t stand normal levels of light, much less anything bright. Even at that early age, I can remember feeling ashamed. Needless to say, no more jokes.

Does he have any training advice?

I can ask him and let you know. He rucks at least 5 miles a day, up to 13.1 miles, for at least 2 months before the march. Beyond that his training is unknown. He does say that the biggest factor for people is the sand, as well as actually going too slow. The slower you go the longer you’re in the 100 plus degree desert, so he says pushing your pace is usually advantageous in that race.

awnicho2

FNG
A group at the CrossFit gym I attend does this every year. I trained with them some last year, but had some stuff already scheduled for the weekend of the March. They all did well. Basic training for this if already fit and working out regularly (no rucks, but if you did those already +1) is to add 1-3 rucks per week while building up to the heavy weight over the course of 3-4 months before the event. 1-2 rucks at shorter distance with heavier weight, and 1 longer ruck with a lighter weight.

This is how I train to mountain hunt, and it works quite well. CrossFit 3-4 days a week all year. Lose a day of CrossFit in June/July to add rucks to my training plan.

MosbyJ

FNG
I have done it couple times, in the heavy division. It is no joke. You fill your pack with food (rice and pancake mix) and they collect it at the end for a food bank. I am not sure if there are any Bataan survivors left, but they are at the start shaking EVERYONE'S hands. It is super well run...I remember feeling sorry for myself, my feet hurt and I was sucking....then a dude came trucking by me on two prosthetic legs...kinda put things in perspective for me. I highly recommend!

First time I used the program they had on their site. Then I used Rob Shaul's program, which was also no joke but really prepared you for the event.

Pro Tip: sunscreen and a boonie/sun hat will save you, even in March.