BC Sheep hunting

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
There is discussion here in BC to offer Limited entry opportunity to non resident hunters.If you win a draw you will have an opportunity to hunt here with or without a guide.It would be a great opportunity for a lot of you with a modest income that would never be able to afford a fully guided hunt.WE believe we could raise a lot of money through these draws in fact much more than the current monopoly the Guide outfitting business has over non resident hunters.Stay tuned

tuffcity

WKR
There is discussion here in BC to offer Limited entry opportunity to non resident hunters.

At the last stakeholder group(s)/wildlife branch meeting that wasn't even on the horizon. Wouldn't hold my breath on seeing a sheep LEH for none residents any time soon.

RC

jherald

WKR
For the guys that really know their stuff when it comes to Sheep hunting but can't afford to drop 30-40 thousand dollars just to hunt a sheep in Canada, this would be a great opportunity. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to hunt Sheep anywhere but Alaska, it's just, to put it plainly, a rich man's hunt anywhere where one is not a resident.

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
After being screwed over by the GOABC and provincial Government last year regarding allocation #s Resident hunters are looking at an alternative model to raise funds for wildlife and to prevent the Backroom dealings and lobbying between the GOABC and the BC liberals that saw the GOABC taking away allocation from Residents.The Guide outfitters have a monopoly on non resident hunters now and we want to change that as we believe a new model of Lottery draws for non residents guided or non guided will raise a lot more funding for wildlife than the current model which is being subsidized at the expense of resident hunters for relatively few very rich folk.

325 wsm

FNG
For the guys that really know their stuff when it comes to Sheep hunting but can't afford to drop 30-40 thousand dollars just to hunt a sheep in Canada, this would be a great opportunity. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to hunt Sheep anywhere but Alaska, it's just, to put it plainly, a rich man's hunt anywhere where one is not a resident.
If every one could afford 1 there wouldnt be any left. The law of supply and demand dictates the price.
As noted above it is just the residents discussing options and not something being proposed as legislation.
It would also be nice if Alaska would give out a bunch of Kodiak LEH so I could come over their…shoot a big bear dirt cheap.
There would be no opposition to this right?

jherald

WKR
If it was cheap AND easy, there wouldnt be any left...eventually....correct. Getting a bit off track on the bears, but, bear hunting as a non-res in AK is not cheap at all and that surely is a rich man's hunt. Heck it's not cheap for an AK resident to go hunt Kodiak if you factor in all the logistical costs for the average working man hunter. And to answer your question, yes the guides and many residents and ADFG would likely strongly oppose giving limited tags to non-res to hunt animals without a guide which legally otherwise would require a guide to hunt.

I didn't believe I was implying the masses flocking to Canada to kill every legal Stone Ram there was. The thought was with a few permits. The details could go on and on but I'll leave it lay. It's nice to dream about a Stone Ram but for me, ain't gonna happen and I ain't complaining. I'm happy with what I have and feel very fortunate to be able bodied enough to go go after Dall Rams every year.

Laws of supply and demand will always dictate price but, so do other factors as well, not just supply and demand solely when it comes to matters of hunting and fishing.

dotman

WKR
If it was a draw with no guide requirement it would still be a limited number of individuals hunting. I think there definitely could be more money generated if the outfitter was removed from the mandatory requirement, tags prices of course would increase.

I'm all for removing the guide requirements in AK for sheep and bear, still going to be expensive though as will some areas in BC no matter what changes happen.

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
You also have to factor in that the Liberal Government allows foreign ownership of guide territories.We have private hunting clubs springing up all over the province We want to get back to the North American wildlife conservation model.
Currently a Stone sheep hunt in BC is around 40 to 50 grand a non resident could do that hunt for much less.With a lot more money going into the local economy's.

325 wsm

FNG
If it was a draw with no guide requirement it would still be a limited number of individuals hunting. I think there definitely could be more money generated if the outfitter was removed from the mandatory requirement, tags prices of course would increase.

I'm all for removing the guide requirements in AK for sheep and bear, still going to be expensive though as will some areas in BC no matter what changes happen.

Could you please do up a quick budget to show us how you think taking a $40,000 hunt and replacing it with LEH would be more beneficial.
You have to take into account that the government created a system where all revenues generated go into general coffers and not hunting or wildlife enhancement.You also have to take into account that not all BC outfitters are rich Americans who take all profits south of the border.

Last edited:

325 wsm

FNG
If it was cheap AND easy, there wouldnt be any left...eventually....correct. Getting a bit off track on the bears, but, bear hunting as a non-res in AK is not cheap at all and that surely is a rich man's hunt. Heck it's not cheap for an AK resident to go hunt Kodiak if you factor in all the logistical costs for the average working man hunter. And to answer your question, yes the guides and many residents and ADFG would likely strongly oppose giving limited tags to non-res to hunt animals without a guide which legally otherwise would require a guide to hunt.

I didn't believe I was implying the masses flocking to Canada to kill every legal Stone Ram there was. The thought was with a few permits. The details could go on and on but I'll leave it lay. It's nice to dream about a Stone Ram but for me, ain't gonna happen and I ain't complaining. I'm happy with what I have and feel very fortunate to be able bodied enough to go go after Dall Rams every year.

Laws of supply and demand will always dictate price but, so do other factors as well, not just supply and demand solely when it comes to matters of hunting and fishing.

Definitely happy where I am too and agree with your comments…..but feel if I want to do a dream hunt I have a better chance at setting and working towards those goals than maybe winning a lottery after ?years.

The only way red neck type Pipeliners like myself could afford this type of dream hunt would be to move to the province or territory where these tags are availible to resident hunters. While here in Alberta we can still hunt Bighorns with an OTC tag this is quickly coming to an end. Grizzly bear and caribou hunting is already gone here and most likely never coming back. I'd love to move to northern BC or Yukon. Though my wife has said that I can move anytime I choose, she is not coming with me. I guess I'll enjoy ( and be thankful for ) the hunting opportunities that I have and dream about the rest.

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely happy where I am too and agree with your comments…..but feel if I want to do a dream hunt I have a better chance at setting and working towards those goals than maybe winning a lottery after ?years.

As i said private owners, corporations are buying up territories and becoming private hunting clubs.Even a a guy who works and saves his whole life will not be able to come here and hunt unless you know the right people.This must change which is why we want to have all non residents on a draw so this kind of privatization of our wildlife can not happen.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Could you please do up a quick budget to show us how you think taking a $40,000 hunt and replacing it with LEH would be more beneficial.
You have to take into account that the government created a system where all revenues generated go into general coffers and not hunting or wildlife enhancement.You also have to take into account that not all BC outfitters are rich Americans who take all profits south of the border.

There will be a small percentage of the Canadian population or guides hurt forsure but more money if the law is changed can also be ear marked for wildlife conservation and management. If it just is put into a general fund then yup it will do nothing. The fact is if it is still a draw only hunt a high percentage will still use outfitters. Add in all the costs associated with getting back into sheep country in certain areas and your still going to pay a high price for the hint either way. But instead outfitters will have to fight for their clients, like most businesses, instead of clients fighting for an outfitters tag allocation.

I don't know a ton about what is going on in BC, I just know the system has made it so only the wealthy can hunt stone sheep, not sure the price would be as high if the outfitters didn't get an allocation of tags. Same goes for mountain goat and grizz. How has the current system helped wildlife? Why are the residents of BC sick of the current system? It must only be working to the favor of a select few, similar to the WY big game hunting rules in wilderness areas.

325 wsm

FNG
As i said private owners, corporations are buying up territories and becoming private hunting clubs.Even a a guy who works and saves his hole life will not be able to come here and hunt unless you know the right people.This must change which is why we want to have all non residents on a draw so this kind of privatization of our wildlife can not happen.

All outfitting areas have been privately leased in BCs past and it only provides the outfitter the sole right to be the exclusive guide to non-residents for their area. Residents are not restricted from hunting in them. Any hunting done on private land has nothing to do with oufitters. It was a current change of legislation that will now allow corporations to lease outfitting areas or 1 person to lease more than 1 of them. The First Nations have recently been investing in outfitting areas and I expect some of them will utilize this new law quite well to their benefit. As well large corporations could easily take over multiple areas. Can you name 1 non- FN corporation that holds a lease on a BC outfitting area ?
Im against the privatization as well but feel your biggest threats will not be cured by non-res LEH.

dotman

WKR
So what is best for the management and overall health of wildlife? The current system or a change in it?

325 wsm

FNG
I think the best overall model I have seen is also the North American wildlife conservation model. The problem will be getting all BC user groups to agree and work together on adapting it to suit the needs of their province. Too much politically motivated game management decision making in BC. Wildlife should be managed with science based policy.

dotman

WKR
I think the best overall model I have seen is also the North American wildlife conservation model. The problem will be getting all BC user groups to agree and work together on adapting it to suit the needs of their province. Too much politically motivated game management decision making in BC. Wildlife should be managed with science based policy.

I agree, seems like we are having troubles here keeping this policy.